1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Replaces Ben Mills?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by wyobuff, Feb 26, 2014.

1. wyobuff

wyobuff Well-Known Member

I know that ben didnt get much playing time, but He certainly was a fan favorite. Who steps up to fill his shoes?
    When I was at school, it was billy boidock (who apparently works for the golden state warriors now).
    It seems like names starting with B are pretty popular to be fan favorites (along with skinny white dudes).

Is brett brady next?

2. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I remember Billy Boidock, the original human cigar. (Ben Mills played real minutes this year)

Better question who replaces Beau Gamble?

3. HUFset

HUFset Well-Known Member

The Sled!

4. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

I just heard that due to a new NCAA rule that Preston Slaughter has regained a year of eligibility.

Daaah likes this.
  5. Gary Indiana

Gary Indiana Club Member Club Member

6. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

I'm starting to react violently every time I hear the name Brett Brady.

7. wyobuff

Im not here saying he should be on the floor for 10 min/game to go in and bomb 3's. I'm just saying he fits the profile of a fan favorite perfectly.

8. Tempe_Buff

Tempe_Buff Well-Known Member

Billy Boidock nails a 3 at the buzzer.

[video=youtube;seuXna5f_Cc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seuXna5f_Cc[/video]

9. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Who was the color analyst?... I guess we shouldn't ever complain about attendance again after that video.

10. rolandftw

rolandftw Club Member Club Member

Maybe Eli Stalzer. Seems to be a likable person, but probably doesn't see a lot of playing time over the next few years.

11. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

PURE SHOOTER AND FAN FAVORITE!

12. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

I miss Marcus Hall.

13. wyobuff

Hell, I was probably at that game, believe it or not.

Anyone who is whining about the attendance now needs to look at the keg in that video.....you could detonate a bomb in there and not have any casualties.

14. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I was definitely at the game and I've been trying to say that all season with some of the crowd criticisms. By no means, am I saying we should be happy with what we have, but it's not as bad as some are portraying it to be.

15. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

Hopefully someone who is actually good

16. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

You realize the idea is someone who probably isn't good, hence why they are the next Ben Mills? I really don't mean this in a condescending way, but have you read this whole thread?

17. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

After watching that video, first I was able to spot myself within the dozen or so students (which was kinda cool), it also made me realize how much better we have it with the style of play. I know that they were already blowing out Utah, but i just was thinking back to how annoying it was to watch Patton's teams.

Boidock also annoyed me a bit, but in a good way. He was a mechanical engineer (same class as me), and even with playing basketball, he always had better grades, and projects, etc. I guess it was because he wasnt playing beer pong every night

18. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Would it be against the rules to just roll a wooden Indian onto the court as our 'victory cigar' player?

19. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

I hope we get past having these fan favorites who ride and deserve to be on the bench. It should be exciting to see the next up and comer get time in garbage time. Not some kid who should never have been on the roster in the first place.

20. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

I get what you're saying, but it's hard to recruit those type of players to Colorado or really any school, but moreso CU when they aren't getting playing time. Now things are different than 5 years ago in that you can't promise playing time like you once you could where other schools couldn't but still. I think it's fun to have players to root for. That's not to say I don't want the best possible team.

21. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Every successful program has kids who deserve to ride the bench and do. What we want is for all of those guys to be the walk-ons who bust their butts in practice with the hope of getting a few minutes of garbage time multiple times over the season.

At the time Ben was recruited he was a reasonable target to recruit. His biggest issue is that he was never able, despite plenty of work, to build the strength and mass to compete at this level. This is not something that Tad could have known was not going to happen when he recruited him.

Ben has a great attitude and he has some skills. Had he been able to put on another 25-30lbs of quality muscle we would be hailing Tad as a genius for signing him.

The difference now is that the program is not longer at a point where we have to take guys who are the kind of risk or compromise that Ben was.

The next fan favorite is likely to be the practice player who manages to sneak into those odd minutes and carries that hustle and effort into those minutes even when the game is long over.

22. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Yep. That's a role for a walk-on or a guy who has battled injury and toughed it through. Mills plays hard, has an engaging personality, and has played some useful minutes... but I want more from that from anyone who is on scholarship at CU for 4 years.

23. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Absolutely. There needs to be more in a top tier program from this type of kid. 4 year ship player needs to contribute more than Mills did. He played a decent role for where we were, but that is a walk on in the future.

24. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

CJ.

25. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Except the guy is white in the video next to Drew Goodman.

26. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

Same here. That season started out with so much promise.

27. cubuffs85

cubuffs85 Active Member

Yep, I recall, I remember when they were talking about not only making the tournament but winning a few games. Getting in the top 25 was huge.

28. jcatcher

jcatcher Club Member Club Member

You gotta remember that Ben came on very strong very late in his HS career and had a lot of offers from some pretty good programs (OSU, Northwestern, Xavier.) He may have been a more heralded recruit than Andre Roberson at the time.

29. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

My bad. CJ definitely did some games in that era. The white guy's name is Brick or Rock or the like, can't quite remember.

30. FLounder

FLounder The Buffs will rise again! Club Member

How about Stone or Pebble?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk