What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be PG1 - Dom or Yaz?

Who should be PG1 - Dom or Yaz?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Since this thread has been started:

* Dom - 12.5 ppg, 2 rpg, 3 apg, 1 TOpg, 1.25 spg, 3.25 fouls per game.
* Yaz - 1.5 ppg, 1 rpg, 0.75 apg, 1 TOpg, 0.5 spg, 2.5 fouls per game
* XT - 3.5 ppg, 2.25 rpg, 1.75 apg, 0.75 TOpg, 0.75 spg, 2 fouls per game

Small sample size, but maybe the question should have been "Who should be PG 2?"

Talton has been playing a lot more within himself lately. He doesnt suck when he does that.

XT has been playing solid defense and hasn't let the game get out of control when he is running the offense. Good to see him playing like a senior that knows his role.

He's been a whole new player since the Oregon game. His Washington numbers weren't great, but no one's were so I can't blame him for that one.

He's been a whole new player since the Oregon game. His Washington numbers weren't great, but no one's were so I can't blame him for that one.

With Dom elevating the level of his game, I think it has taken a lot of pressure off of XT.

It's quite humorous that a thread like this was started in the first place. Yaz or Talton over Dom??!! Really? The die hard CU buffs fans can't even decide if their dominant pg (pun intended) should be starting or not. With this in mind, how can we blame CU students for not going to the games?

Talton has been playing a lot more within himself lately. He doesnt suck when he does that.
His steal was a game changer. Maybe we would have still won, but that steal sure took some of the pressure off.

It's quite humorous that a thread like this was started in the first place. Yaz or Talton over Dom??!! Really? The die hard CU buffs fans can't even decide if their dominant pg (pun intended) should be starting or not. With this in mind, how can we blame CU students for not going to the games?

The beginning of the year Dom was far from dominant. He has really stepped up his game though since conference play began.

Dom is having the light bulb go on.

XT is playing like a senior.

Yaz is on the freshman roller coaster.

It's now as it should be.

What does one thing have to do with the other? I voted obviously wrong (Yaz), but at the time it was a good question particularly right after the stanford away game. But we watch 100% of televised games to the end, go to all bay area visits by the Buffs, Vegas pac12 and a Boulder game when we can swing it. I'm terribly jealous of those who are local and have the opportunity to go to home games. I'm not sure I "blame" the students or anyone else for not attending, but sometimes I do question it (and to stray even further off topic, really roll my eyes about folks "having" to drive to Denver for a football game, or not renew season tickets because we didn't fire such-and-such assistant coach).

Anyway back on topic, as Boyle said we're watching Dom grow up in front of us, it is great to see.

Guard play is improving which is awesome. I do believe Yaz has significant upside as he matures. Dom really on a nice streak, which appears solid per the future. XT pretty Steady of late.

This is good.

Yup. The fun begins next year when Dom is an upperclassmen and Yaz can provide quality minutes having run this entire gauntlet. Throw in Peters and....
Wasn't there also speculation White could see PG mins? Or am I just dreaming

PG2??? Not quite. I say "found PG1". This is beginning to look more like Yaz's team than Dom's.

Collier can't stay out of foul trouble and Yaz appears to be running the "O" much more smoothly. Tonight, he showed he can take it to the hoop and he appears to play with a higher BB IQ than Dom is.

Yaz ran the "O" much more smoothly than anybody else at point. Had to have 4-6 passes that led directly to FTs Those should count as assists, too. And the whole team calmed down when he got the ball in his hands after transition. He simply was more effective. And the fact he gets better with each game, is coachable, has great fundamentals, takes control in huddles and is clearly more of a physical presence than Dom, (even after Dom hit the weights) indicates he's got real momentum toward starting at point and playing 25 minutes a game there. On TV you can't see those things.

Yaz's grown with each game he's played. Dom seems static and cannot shake that two early foul jinx. And I've watched the dynamic Yaz brings to timeouts, that doesn't show up on TV: he talks with the players and gives and gets information. Dom stands there and doesn't interact with his teammates nearly as much, if at all. Tad alluded to this saying Dom needs to be more vocal.

Dom's not changing his in-game pattern. Yaz is. You saw Yaz bring a new aspect to his game into play last night when he began attacking and slashing toward the hoop. Meanwhile Dom picks up his first foul 15 seconds into the game! Who's learning and growing and who's not? Who's responding to coaching and who's not?

Yaz needs to be a starter. He is a very very smooth pg

Yaz is a better basketball player than Dom.

Right now, I'd take Yaz in a tight game. More disciplined within better fundamentals.

And as much as I like him, Collier is a liability. Our team will only be able to go as far as our point guard can take us in PAC 12 play. Dom is not a take charge kind of point guard. He is terrible defending opposing guards

truth is that this team does not have a real PG

Yaz just looks more polished right now. I would say his play passes the eye ball test. Obviously Dom is putting up better numbers, he just doesn't look as smooth doing it.

I can only hope Dom gets better as the year goes on. I suspect that Dom might have reached his ceiling.

King oozes NBA. Dom, well - YMCA. I read above that a couple on here question King's Defensive effort. He does have room for improvement, but Dom is a major issue. A PG who does not dish out assists in big games and is flat footed on defense. The Belgian may take the job from Dom before tournament time arrives.

Yaz had 5 dimes at halftime, but keep in mind that he's essentially been a pro for a few years - dom has had 1 season riddled with suspensions and injuries.

What is Dom's problem? I thought he was one of those "it" factor guys, but he seems to be anything but that

YAZ is flat out out performing him.

Dom is not a playmaker.

He is a terrible defender. He is not a general on the floor and he doesn't make anyone around him better.

Dom has never really impressed me. I don't think its an issue of him "getting right" or the "light going on." I don't see the physical tools. He has that kind of lazy gliding motion when he penetrates, with very limited quickness, crossover or spin moves at all. And when he's guarding a small, quick PG ...ugh. I honestly like Yaz more. I see more playmaking potential in him, something we desperately lack. He may not be able to finish yet, but he's creating. And he's just a freshman.

I said in an earlier post, Yaz is the man at point! Time to turn the reins over to him and let Dom earn them back!

I said in an earlier post, Yaz is the man at point! Time to turn the reins over to him and let Dom earn them back...if he can!

Euros learn fundamentals. Americans learn "ESPN Top 10" street ball crap.

francis.png

sass1.png
sass2.png

sabu.png

I should have left the usernames tagged in the quotes

Is PG1 the guy who plays the majority of the minutes or the guy that starts?

In our case it might be the guy that the PAC12 refs choose to leave on the floor.

I think both can be expected to grow as players, Dom has a much higher ceiling athletically but Yaz seems to have some intangible edges to his game.

Might be that what this year has shown us is that we really need both. Can you imagine if we had to play XT for long stretches at the point.

Back