What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who should be the CU head coach in 2010?

Who should be the CU head coach in 2010?

• Dan Hawkins

Votes: 10 5.8%
  • Brian Cabral (longtime CU LB coach)

Votes: 8 4.6%
  • John Embree (former CU/UCLA Asst. Head Coach)

Votes: 11 6.4%
  • Brian Kelly (current Cincinnati Head Coach)

Votes: 24 13.9%
  • Gary Patterson (current TCU Head Coach)

Votes: 27 15.6%
  • Kevin Sumlin (current Houston Head Coach)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • Skip Holtz (current East Carolina Head Coach)

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • Turner Gill (current Buffalo Head Coach)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Brent Venables (current Oklahoma Defensive Coordinator)

Votes: 7 4.0%
  • Charlie Strong (current Florida Defensive Coordinator)

Votes: 40 23.1%
  • Andy Ludwig (current Cal Offensive Coordinator)

Votes: 2 1.2%
  • Other

Votes: 27 15.6%

• Total voters
In last week's SI, Nutt was quoted as saying he would love to coach in a conference other than the SEC, I say we get him!

My realistic wish list;

1) Niumatalolo
2) Calhoun
3) Patterson
4) Gill

Run the ball.

Oh Lord, NO! Lest we forget, he's got Boise State on his resume and "He Who Shall Not Be Named" learned under him.

"Don't let them...B-S-U!" (No s&^tter chant from the mid-80s)

Going Deep.

Oh man, TimBuff10 is going to blow his gasket.

Honestly... I would take anyone on that list. Give him TWO years and if we don't see improvement, then time for the next guy to take a whack at it. Not asking for a great program in two years, just improvement. In 4 years we better be bowling and ranked though.

And just to be clear, I would even take some guy named "Other" over Hawk.

Last edited:
Reason I didn't put Bienemy on the list, fwiw, is because of some "scoop" that AZ provided. He said that EB would come as Embree's OC but doesn't see himself as quite ready to be a HC yet. Since AZ's pulling hard for Embree (and he's a bigger EB guy than he is a JE guy), I figured this was reliable information and excluded Bienemy. Feel free to vote for him as an "Other" candidate, though. I agree it would be great to get him back on campus.

Good scoop... Put me in the Embree camp then. Whatever gets EB back here is only good at this point.

My biggest gripe with Patterson & Kelly is that they're not part of big-time programs. JMHO, but I'd rather get somebody who has recruited the best of the best to play at a top tier program and knows what big boy football is all about. Patterson & Kelly are Hawkins part deux, if you ask me. Guys who do great at smaller programs. I'm not saying that they'd have the same results as Hawkins, but that their paths are remarkably similar.

Count me in the Charlie Strong camp.

Don't ask me. I thougt Hawk was a home run.

He was at the time. All you can do is hire who seems to be the best fit. No one knew how it would play out and when Hawk was hired his stock was very high and nearly and everyone said he was a good coach bound for great things.

The mistake wasn't hiring Hawkins, the mistake was somewhere between giving him the extension and not firing him and moving on after the Toledo game.

I still and will continue to think that at the time, the Hawkins hire was a good hire.

Sumlin would be a sleeper. i'd take Embree, Patterson or Kelly. Doubtful the last 2 would leave for CU. and if Embree brings EB back to the program i'd be all for his hire!

Why isn't anybody mentioning Ga Tech's Paul Johnson ?

I'd love to have his offense running all over the Big 12.

I voted Kelly, but I'm not sure he's realistic. Patterson would be 1-A, but again I'm not sure we could get him to Boulder.

I really like Calhoun, that thought really intrigues me. Such a polar opposite of Hawk personality wise, which might be a very good thing right now.

Another name that got a lot of discussion was Chuck Heater at Florida. I guess he's another option for "other"...

I voted Strong, but meant Chuck Heater. Not much sleep last night-- not sure how I connected the two.

Mark me up for Heater, Kubes would be great I would think. Plus, if Shanny is not busy, he might come up and 'help out' for a season or so....

What TH could do in Kelly's offense... :nod:

Differences between Kelly and Hawk are legion... starting with the fact that kelly is an x's and o's guy. and actually is good at recruiting a specific area (midwest). Also, he apparently knows how to play his best guys and coaches up his players... he is known for his offense, but his defense this year has been a huge surprise. They are just as good and LOST everyone from last years ORANGE bowl team.

What TH could do in Kelly's offense... :nod:

Differences between Kelly and Hawk are legion... starting with the fact that kelly is an x's and o's guy. and actually is good at recruiting a specific area (midwest). Also, he apparently knows how to play his best guys and coaches up his players... he is known for his offense, but his defense this year has been a huge surprise. They are just as good and LOST everyone from last years ORANGE bowl team.

The thing that is true about the Big East in general, and Cincy in particular the past couple years, is that they have recruited a ton of speed. Those teams may not have as many 4 and 5 star players as the other BCS conferences, but they play fast and can run with anybody.

FWIW, from what I've heard Kelly is a complete asshat and couldn't give two shi*s about his players. Good coach tho

Troy Calhoun. If you watch AF play, they have heart, play hard and are fundamentaly sound at all positions. Dude gets more out of the players he is given than any coach in the country. I know it's option football, sounds good right about now doesn't it??

I like B. Kelly, Patterson or Sumlin, but I don't think CU could get BK or GP and Sumlin was hired by GB, albeit just long enough for Sumlin to take off his jacket and answer the cell phone only to find Stoops on the other end. IMO, Sumlin knows enough to stick with jobs that truly support the FB program. UH has been trying to recover from John Jenkins bad hairdo for years and has hit two in a row with Briles and Sumlin.

CU has to catch lightning in a bottle again, with a quality asst. looking for his first gig.

I like Spike Dykes. Sonny Dykes kid, OC at AZ, has links to Cali and TX...could do worse...

This thread is like “fantasy football”, except it is “fantasy hire a new football coach”.

What fun! Especially since Hawkins will be back next year, barring a nuclear winter.

Keep in mind there are some Husker fans who think SW would make a great head coach at CU next year. That's not going to happen either; he will be back at Nebraska too.

This thread is like “fantasy football”, except it is “fantasy hire a new football coach”.

What fun! Especially since Hawkins will be back next year, barring a nuclear winter.

Keep in mind there are some Husker fans who think SW would make a great head coach at CU next year. That's not going to happen either; he will be back at Nebraska too.

And my neice, Cindy, would make a great nebraska head coach from my perspective.

There's a reason the fans from one team don't choose the head coaches for another.

Do you remember some of the other candidates Nebraska was considering last year?

It's a similar situation in that we're looking to replace a guy that alienated ex-Buffs and fans, didn't respect our traditions, couldn't successfully implement an offense, and had a historically bad won-loss record for our program... but recruited fairly well.

Maybe some of the other guys that were on the Corn list would be good fits for CU.

And my neice, Cindy, would make a great nebraska head coach from my perspective.

There's a reason the fans from one team don't choose the head coaches for another.

Hey, some Husker fans would take her if she can call the right plays at the right time, and can look good on camera.

Do you remember some of the other candidates Nebraska was considering last year?

It's a similar situation in that we're looking to replace a guy that alienated ex-Buffs and fans, didn't respect our traditions, couldn't successfully implement an offense, and had a historically bad won-loss record for our program... but recruited fairly well.

Maybe some of the other guys that were on the Corn list would be good fits for CU.

GREAT POINT! I was thinking of that earlier today. My, how the world turns. Good Luck! I hope the AD doesn't try to interview Coach Nutt.

Maybe we should just coax coach Mac out of retirement like KSU did with Snyder.

Coach Mac is even a year younger :thumbsup:

Back