What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who starts at DT next year?

SunnyD24

We are loosing arguablly two of our best players in Nicolas and Hypo.

My only concern next year is really at DT. We don't have a dominating big body inside, and this could significantly hurt the play of our LB's.

So who starts at DT next year?

Cunningham and....?

A recruit? Goree?

Hopefully Hawk can pull in a JUCO player with experience who can come in and start right away, similar to what he did with Mohler to replace Dizon right away.

They need to pull the big JUCO DT who is waffling on his committ to Tennessee. His name escapes me, but he's a 4* California kid.

What happened to Kaynor? I thought he was playing earlier in the season, but then I started seeing him less and less.

The whole D line is an issue. They get this figured out and figured out well and we could be looking at 8 wins. If not, I think they'll be sitting at 6-6

And something needs to be done with Brandison

They need to pull the big JUCO DT who is waffling on his committ to Tennessee. His name escapes me, but he's a 4* California kid.

Edwin Herbert

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=81536&Sport=1

This kid would be a pipe dream.....

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=82424&Sport=1

Apparently we are not intrested, cannot figure out why, he is a beast. He is a ***** spect over at Scout.com.

You are 100% right though. To be succesfull on Defense we need this years Terrance Cody. A beast in the middle, at least 320 pounds. That would help Cunningham and our LB's alot.

What happened to Kaynor? I thought he was playing earlier in the season, but then I started seeing him less and less.

The whole D line is an issue. They get this figured out and figured out well and we could be looking at 8 wins. If not, I think they'll be sitting at 6-6

And something needs to be done with Brandison

If we nab a top JUCO DT, Obi steps up, and Cunningham plays well, we could be looking at 9 or 10 wins.

Please Hawk. Recruit a big time JUCO DT who can step in and play right away.

Cunningham will play one spot, the other should be goree. I hope they can bring in a juco DT.We need to get nuckols in here.

Cunningham has played decent when in there,goree haven't heard much from.

We need to find another speed rush de because we lose jones who essentially was playing that spot.

Herrod and brace(if his concussion problems fade) would seem the likely starters.

Edwin Herbert

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=81536&Sport=1

This kid would be a pipe dream.....

http://footballrecruiting.rivals.com/viewprospect.asp?pr_key=82424&Sport=1

Apparently we are not intrested, cannot figure out why, he is a beast. He is a ***** spect over at Scout.com.

You are 100% right though. To be succesfull on Defense we need this years Terrance Cody. A beast in the middle, at least 320 pounds. That would help Cunningham and our LB's alot.

Yes, thank you.

Cunningham will play one spot, the other should be goree. I hope they can bring in a juco DT.We need to get nuckols in here.

Cunningham has played decent when in there,goree haven't heard much from.

We need to find another speed rush de because we lose jones who essentially was playing that spot.

Herrod and brace(if his concussion problems fade) would seem the likely starters.

Beatty actually lined up at DE on occasion the past couple of games. I assume he will start at SAM next year, and shift over to DE on third an long, similar to what Jones did for most of the year. When Beatty was in there, he showed good speed....

Goree just dosen't do it for me as a starting DT next year. If we nab Nuckols, and don't get a JUCO DT, then I would rather start Nuckols over Goree.

Beatty actually lined up at DE on occasion the past couple of games. I assume he will start at SAM next year, and shift over to DE on third an long, similar to what Jones did for most of the year. When Beatty was in there, he showed good speed....

Goree just dosen't do it for me as a starting DT next year. If we nab Nuckols, and don't get a JUCO DT, then I would rather start Nuckols over Goree.

I'd like to see Major in the role left by Brad Jones. But they have him down as a MLB.

I'd like to see Major in the role left by Brad Jones. But they have him down as a MLB.

Major could fit into that role, but Beatty looked real good there last year, so he is the favorite to start at SAM, and have a similar role to Jones.

I personally envision Major replacing Mohler as our MLB in 2010.....

Going back to the DT talk....

If you thought our running defense was bad against NU Friday, wait until you see what it will look like if Cunningham and Goree are our starting DT's. Can you say swiss cheese...

Bottom line, we need a big body to put next to Cunningham to make him and our linebackers effective.

That means nothing, this staff has no problem moving guys to other positions..You know like maia.....nevermind:smile2:

Joke btw, for your this thread is complete reply to jimmy:lol:

Major could fit into that role, but Beatty looked real good there last year, so he is the favorite to start at SAM, and have a similar role to Jones.

If you thought our running defense was bad against NU Friday, wait until you see what it will look like if Cunningham and Goree are our starting DT's. Can you say swiss cheese...

Bottom line, we need a big body to put next to Cunningham to make him and our linebackers effective.

very true.

Defense got worn out as the season went on.. A better offense will help it next year.. Cunningham and Goree are probably the starters going into spring, but hopefully someone will surprise.

Have to be honest, other than Jones rushing the QB, I didn't think the LB's had that great of a year overall.. And that was with a senior DL.. Both units need to pick it up this spring.

I've watched a good portion of Buff games this year. Where was Cunningham effective? He looks extremely small and out of place to me.

Don't let Cunningham's size put you off. The kid is a beast. He's going to be a good one for us. The PT he got this year is going to pay off. I'm confident that kid will be a force for us.

I've watched a good portion of Buff games this year. Where was Cunningham effective? He looks extremely small and out of place to me.

This off-season he will put on 20lbs of muscle,he's already strong as an ox. Think justin bannan but a bit shorter.

Defense got worn out as the season went on.. A better offense will help it next year.. Cunningham and Goree are probably the starters going into spring, but hopefully someone will surprise.

Have to be honest, other than Jones rushing the QB, I didn't think the LB's had that great of a year overall.. And that was with a senior DL.. Both units need to pick it up this spring.

The LB's have to be a much bigger and better part of the defense. Beatty and jones played well but more like rush ends. Mohler will be a stud. We need someone to challenge smart. Katoa,rippy,major. I'm hoping whatever is wrong with sipili gets fixed and he comes back strong in 09.

Yeah. Our LB's sucked. Jeff Smart is 37th in the nation for total tackles 97 (8.8p/g). And Mohler is 26th in the nation for solo tackles with 57(5.1p/g).

And that was with a senior DL. :huh: Pick it up boys.

The LB's have to be a much bigger and better part of the defense. Beatty and jones played well but more like rush ends. Mohler will be a stud. We need someone to challenge smart. Katoa,rippy,major. I'm hoping whatever is wrong with sipili gets fixed and he comes back strong in 09.

I fully expect Katoa to challenge Smart.

In fact I think that Katoa has a good chance at starting. This past offseason, before the legal fiasco, I picked Katoa to come in and start right away. He has size and speed, something Smart does not have. Smart is a good player, but maybe not an ideal starter in the Big12....

Sipili is a beast....6-1 - 250, are you kidding me? He could start at MLB and will challange Mohler. Once potential scenario is to move Mohler to WILL and start Sipili at MLB next year.

So we would have this LB crew from left to right....Mohler, Sipili, Beatty

I fully expect Katoa to challenge Smart.

In fact I think that Katoa has a good chance at starting. This past offseason, before the legal fiasco, I picked Katoa to come in and start right away. He has size and speed, something Smart does not have. Smart is a good player, but maybe not an ideal starter in the Big12....

Sipili is a beast....6-1 - 250, are you kidding me? He could start at MLB and will challange Mohler. Once potential scenario is to move Mohler to WILL and start Sipili at MLB next year.

So we would have this LB crew from left to right....Mohler, Sipili, Beatty

Apparently Katoa is struggling in the classroom at the moment, and unsubstantiated rumors suggest that Sipili barely keeps his head above water academically.

I'm really, really rooting for Katoa to get on top of this thing. He does indeed look like a freak of an athlete. But aside from that--if you can get the image of him pounding some kid relentlessly out of your head--he appears to be such a humble, likable kid when you see him on the sidelines.

I'm hoping Sipili's back gets healthy in the offseason (I think it was hindering his play, if I understood correctly). The kid is a monster.

Concur with earlier statements that place Major in a hybrid OLB, rush end role in the tradition of Brad Jones.

I'm looking forward to the LB competition this Spring/next Fall.

Go Buffs!

I'm very concerned about our DT's next year. Nicholas and TRG were seniors who both had mediocre seasons. I shudder to think what a couple of unproven RS freshmen or sophmores will do. Plus, I don't think Romeo is doing a very good job of getting the most out of our D-linemen. What the hell happened to Obi? Dude was invisible all year. He was supposed to be this unstoppable force - I guess not. :huh:
Very concerned. It all starts up front, especially against the spread offense. Generate pass rush with the front four and you will have success against the spread. Fail to generate a pass rush and you will get beat 58-0.

Apparently Katoa is struggling in the classroom at the moment, and unsubstantiated rumors suggest that Sipili barely keeps his head above water academically.

I'm really, really rooting for Katoa to get on top of this thing. He does indeed look like a freak of an athlete. But aside from that--if you can get the image of him pounding some kid relentlessly out of your head--he appears to be such a humble, likable kid when you see him on the sidelines.

I'm hoping Sipili's back gets healthy in the offseason (I think it was hindering his play, if I understood correctly). The kid is a monster.

Concur with earlier statements that place Major in a hybrid OLB, rush end role in the tradition of Brad Jones.

I'm looking forward to the LB competition this Spring/next Fall.

Go Buffs!

If you set aside health for a minute, I think there is a consenses that how our front seven shapes up after loosing Jones, Hypo, Mo, and Nicolas will decide how good we are.

I agree with what somebody earlier said. If the front seven holds up....between 8-4 and 10-2. If not, we could be looking at 7-5 or maybe 6-6.

The first priority, as the main point of the thread, is DT. Let's assume that Cunningham will start on one side, and for now, Goree is penciled in on the other. I contend that this is simply not good enoguh. Not only would we be horribly ineffective against the run, we would have no depth. To be effective at DT you need a good rotation. Cunningham, Goree and a couple of Freshman would = disaster defensivly.

This is exactly why Hawk must make it a priority to nabe a big, mean JUCO DT. Anybody close to recruiting at CU, if they have any brain, would realise this. Forget our need at DE, S or even WR, but if we do not find a big body at DT all bets for a good season are off. As I mentioned earlier, we need this year's version of Terrance Cody, and I provided two names to look at. I know for sure we are on one list.

Moving on to LB. I know Smart put up some good numbers this year, but I still would rather see Katoa emerge. If Katoa can't play because of academics, then we should give Rippy a shot. One other option as I mentioned is moving Mohler to WILL and starting Sipili at MLB. My ideal LB core would be, from left to right, Beatty, Sipili, Mohler with Katoa, Major and Smart all gettting significant playing time.

The front seven will be interesting all year.....

I'm very concerned about our DT's next year. Nicholas and TRG were seniors who both had mediocre seasons. I shudder to think what a couple of unproven RS freshmen or sophmores will do. Plus, I don't think Romeo is doing a very good job of getting the most out of our D-linemen. What the hell happened to Obi? Dude was invisible all year. He was supposed to be this unstoppable force - I guess not. :huh:
Very concerned. It all starts up front, especially against the spread offense. Generate pass rush with the front four and you will have success against the spread. Fail to generate a pass rush and you will get beat 58-0.

I know that we don't have the personel, but our lack of quality DT's and surplus of talented LB's makes me want to switch to a 3-4.

The idea has some foundation at least. Cunningham and Herrod at the ends. A unkown 330 pound beast in the middle. Beatty, Mohler, Sipili and Obi/Major at the LB positions from left to right.

Would never happen seeing as we don't have that unknown....

This off-season he will put on 20lbs of muscle,he's already strong as an ox. Think justin bannan but a bit shorter.

Which means he has absolutely no pass rushing ability in a league full of passing teams. And he has short arms which means he's going to get tied up with Olineman more often than not.

Still not seeing it with him.

If you set aside health for a minute, I think there is a consenses that how our front seven shapes up after loosing Jones, Hypo, Mo, and Nicolas will decide how good we are.

I agree with what somebody earlier said. If the front seven holds up....between 8-4 and 10-2. If not, we could be looking at 7-5 or maybe 6-6.

The first priority, as the main point of the thread, is DT. Let's assume that Cunningham will start on one side, and for now, Goree is penciled in on the other. I contend that this is simply not good enoguh. Not only would we be horribly ineffective against the run, we would have no depth. To be effective at DT you need a good rotation. Cunningham, Goree and a couple of Freshman would = disaster defensivly.

This is exactly why Hawk must make it a priority to nabe a big, mean JUCO DT. Anybody close to recruiting at CU, if they have any brain, would realise this. Forget our need at DE, S or even WR, but if we do not find a big body at DT all bets for a good season are off. As I mentioned earlier, we need this year's version of Terrance Cody, and I provided two names to look at. I know for sure we are on one list.

Moving on to LB. I know Smart put up some good numbers this year, but I still would rather see Katoa emerge. If Katoa can't play because of academics, then we should give Rippy a shot. One other option as I mentioned is moving Mohler to WILL and starting Sipili at MLB. My ideal LB core would be, from left to right, Beatty, Sipili, Mohler with Katoa, Major and Smart all gettting significant playing time.

The front seven will be interesting all year.....

Defensive Lineman has been a priority for the last 15 years. The problem is twofold: 1) The good ones don't want to come to CU 2) And the few who do can't get in to CU.

I see Sylvester Croom resigned today...if I'm Hawk I'd take a look at that staff and see if there is anyone that can get an inroad or two into some of these southern high schools. Shoot I might even bump Collins off and offer the DC job to Croom. He's not going to get another HC position soon and his NFL expertise and Southern networks could get the staff into the homes of a few athletes that CU normally would have a chance on.

And SunnyD....even musing about 10-2 or 9-3 (8-4 is a push) for 2009 is complete homerism. They'll be better, but it's still a significant work in progress.

I see Sylvester Croom resigned today...if I'm Hawk I'd take a look at that staff and see if there is anyone that can get an inroad or two into some of these southern high schools. Shoot I might even bump Collins off and offer the DC job to Croom. He's not going to get another HC position soon and his NFL expertise and Southern networks could get the staff into the homes of a few athletes that CU normally would have a chance on.

That isn't such a bad idea. Offer him, or someone else, a associate/assistant/whatever HC position. Kind of like what FSU does with their coaches.

Back