What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who starts at DT next year?

Defensive Lineman has been a priority for the last 15 years. The problem is twofold: 1) The good ones don't want to come to CU 2) And the few who do can't get in to CU.

I see Sylvester Croom resigned today...if I'm Hawk I'd take a look at that staff and see if there is anyone that can get an inroad or two into some of these southern high schools. Shoot I might even bump Collins off and offer the DC job to Croom. He's not going to get another HC position soon and his NFL expertise and Southern networks could get the staff into the homes of a few athletes that CU normally would have a chance on.

And SunnyD....even musing about 10-2 or 9-3 (8-4 is a push) for 2009 is complete homerism. They'll be better, but it's still a significant work in progress.

I would say 10-2 or 9-3 is a push, but not 8-4. If we stay healthy and see improvment from our young players, given our schedule, there is no reason that we cannot go 9-3.

Our only real challanges will be Texas in Austin, Oklahoma State in Stillwater and then West Virginia. Assuming we loose all three of those games, we will still be in line for 9-3. We get Mizzou and Kansas at home, and both are going to be much worse next year.

I would say 8-4 or 9-3 is a realistic prediction. 10-2 is pushing it becasue it assumes that we would win one of those three tough road games and win the rest. I would consider anything less then 8-4 a dissapointment next year.

I would say 10-2 or 9-3 is a push, but not 8-4. If we stay healthy and see improvment from our young players, given our schedule, there is no reason that we cannot go 9-3.

Our only real challanges will be Texas in Austin, Oklahoma State in Stillwater and then West Virginia. Assuming we loose all three of those games, we will still be in line for 9-3. We get Mizzou and Kansas at home, and both are going to be much worse next year.

I would say 8-4 or 9-3 is a realistic prediction. 10-2 is pushing it becasue it assumes that we would win one of those three tough road games and win the rest. I would consider anything less then 8-4 a dissapointment next year.

The Buffs are going to be young on the O-line and non existent on the Dline. EVERY GAME IS GOING TO BE A CHALLENGE! Missouri still has more talent than CU and KU has Reesing and because of the lack of a Dline he's going to ball. Texas A&M should be better organized with another season under Sherman. Iowa State @ Iowa State is always a mess. Callahan didn't leave the cupboards bare at Nebraska. WVU will be replacing Pat White, but they return a lot of good talent. CSU will be closer because CU will still be trying to figure out who's going to play on the Oline. And then there's Texas and OSU.

You're putting 2010 expectations on a 2009 team.

The Buffs are going to be young on the O-line and non existent on the Dline. EVERY GAME IS GOING TO BE A CHALLENGE! Missouri still has more talent than CU and KU has Reesing and because of the lack of a Dline he's going to ball. Texas A&M should be better organized with another season under Sherman. Iowa State @ Iowa State is always a mess. Callahan didn't leave the cupboards bare at Nebraska. WVU will be replacing Pat White, but they return a lot of good talent. CSU will be closer because CU will still be trying to figure out who's going to play on the Oline. And then there's Texas and OSU.

I agree. We are still awfully young out there. I expect to go to a bowl, but 8 or 9 wins is a little much for this squad.

I agree. We are still awfully young out there. I expect to go to a bowl, but 8 or 9 wins is a little much for this squad.

Win #7 and Win #8 are achievable if everything falls the right way during those games (turnovers, penalties, trick plays, acrobatic catches, etc)

That would be against Nebraska and Texas A&M

Seriously? Listen, I'm trying to stay patient but come on. I feel like you guys keep on pushing expectations back. Now we have to wait until 2010 to get to 8 freaking wins?

I'm behind Hawkins, but my patience will wear out eventually.

Win #7 and Win #8 are achievable if everything falls the right way during those games (turnovers, penalties, trick plays, acrobatic catches, etc)

That would be against Nebraska and Texas A&M

If it takes everything going the right way to beat A&M at home next year, we're in trouble. They are TERRIBLE.

We're terrible as well. That game represents which former power gets to competency first.

So then why does everything need to go our way to beat them? You made them sound like a decent team above.

We convert one or two red zone opportunities (end-around on the two freaking yard line:huh:) in the game down there this year and we probably win. It is not too much to expect a win in that game next year.

Seriously? Listen, I'm trying to stay patient but come on. I feel like you guys keep on pushing expectations back. Now we have to wait until 2010 to get to 8 freaking wins?

I'm behind Hawkins, but my patience will wear out eventually.

2004-2006 were terrible recruiting classes. Those are your upperclassmen. CU can't win with consistently with a bunch of freshman and sophomores.

And you do know there's no D line right?

Can't win that way

You can lose patience, but whoever the next coach is will have the same problems.

2004-2006 were terrible recruiting classes. Those are your upperclassmen. CU can't win with consistently with a bunch of freshman and sophomores.

Can't win that way

You can lose patience, but whoever the next coach is will have the same problems.

Wake me up in 2014. Maybe we'll have a winning record by then.

So then why does everything need to go our way to beat them? You made them sound like a decent team above.

We convert one or two red zone opportunities (end-around on the two freaking yard line:huh:) in the game down there this year and we probably win. It is not too much to expect a win in that game next year.

Because CU and TAM are on similar roads of recovery. But I think the Aggies have better team speed and because CU is Dline is nonexistent, this game is going to be a shootout. The burden will fall on CU to make the important plays.

Wake me up in 2014. Maybe we'll have a winning record by then.

CU will have one next year, it's just not going to be as easy as many think it will.

Look, if CU had the young talent of Miami or North Carolina or Alabama.....and they had this schedule....I could see 8 to 9 and with the right play here or there 10 wins. But they don't. There's a team speed issue, a lot of walk ons playing significant roles, and the most critical portion of the defense that just ultimately lacks talent. There are still too many questions that this team has to go into 2009 with the feeling that this schedule will mostly be a cakewalk.

I'm optimistic about the next few years, but understand that there are still issues that need to be resolved.

Defensive Lineman has been a priority for the last 15 years. The problem is twofold: 1) The good ones don't want to come to CU 2) And the few who do can't get in to CU.

I see Sylvester Croom resigned today...if I'm Hawk I'd take a look at that staff and see if there is anyone that can get an inroad or two into some of these southern high schools. Shoot I might even bump Collins off and offer the DC job to Croom. He's not going to get another HC position soon and his NFL expertise and Southern networks could get the staff into the homes of a few athletes that CU normally would have a chance on.

And SunnyD....even musing about 10-2 or 9-3 (8-4 is a push) for 2009 is complete homerism. They'll be better, but it's still a significant work in progress.

Croom is an offensive coach, not a DC....

Can't win that way

You keep saying there's no DL.. Okay, so why isn't Hawk and his staff signing up DT's in recruiting? We should be offering about 100 DT in every recruiting year and signing at least 3 per year.. The ones who can't play on the DL, we move to the OL..

Can't win that way

Call me a homer or whatever, but I beleive we have the talent to win 8 or maybe even 9 games next year.

Three reasons....

1. Health (D-Scott, Stewart, Miller, MTM, Itlis)

2. Growth (Our young players will only get better)

3. Reinforcements (Simas, Major, Katoa, Tau, Obi)

We have the talent....it was just injured or not on the field this year. If we can reverse that, then we will be good.

Also keep in mind buffocrat, that I do have a disclaimer to my 8-4/9-3 prediction. I said we would only be that good if we found a big body, JUCO DT, to put next to Cunningham. I think Hawk will grab a big DT, if not a JUCO kid who has experience, then at least Nuckols...

Exactly what talent did Croom bring to Miss State that excites you guys so much?

Exactly....

Even if we did have Croom it would be a stretch to say that he would bring SEC talent over here. There are just two many programs that a kid from the south would favor over CU.

To be 100% honest...If I was a blue chipper from Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas or even Flordia, there would be about 15 other schools ahead of CU on my list, probably even more. The best we will get from the South are third tier guys. Celestine, Obi, Itlis, Hartigan, Goree and Shields just to name a few from the south....we will continue to get that, Croom or no Croom.

To stay aflot we need to get the best in Colorado every year, AND keep a strong pipeline with California and the other western states. We also have a shot at plucking talent from Texas that flies under the radar.

Exactly....

Even if we did have Croom it would be a stretch to say that he would bring SEC talent over here. There are just two many programs that a kid from the south would favor over CU.

To be 100% honest...If I was a blue chipper from Louisiana, Alabama, Arkansas or even Flordia, there would be about 15 other schools ahead of CU on my list, probably even more. The best we will get from the South are third tier guys. Celestine, Obi, Itlis, Hartigan, Goree and Shields just to name a few from the south....we will continue to get that, Croom or no Croom.

To stay aflot we need to get the best in Colorado every year, AND keep a strong pipeline with California and the other western states. We also have a shot at plucking talent from Texas that flies under the radar.

What Croom offers is NFL experience, SEC experience and the contacts to the high schools that he's built connections with over 5 years plus his own southern background. It's merely the opportunity to get into some of these kids living rooms and have someone there who can connect on some level. A miracle worker, no.....but someone who knows the lay of the land would help.

But he's merely just a name that was dropped today. It doesn't have to be him but bringing in coaches from the most competitive league in the country (on the field and in recruiting) would be a help.

You keep saying there's no DL.. Okay, so why isn't Hawk and his staff signing up DT's in recruiting? We should be offering about 100 DT in every recruiting year and signing at least 3 per year.. The ones who can't play on the DL, we move to the OL..

The athletes needed to play defensive line have a hard time getting into CU.

And they want to be in places known for putting Dlinemen into the NFL.

CU is a very hard sell.

And Romeo doesn't help.

exactly..... unfortunately.

Back