1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Who Surprises / Disappoints?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by J.R. Ewing, Aug 23, 2016.

1. J.R. Ewing

J.R. Ewing Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: Kough - will be our most consistent OL starter
    Disappoints Offense: Keeney/Irwin - I just don't see TE being a big deal in the offense

Surprise Defense: Gillam - returns to Freshman form and then some
    Disappoints Defense: Leo Jackson - next to the other 2 guys, I don't see him putting up big stats.

Surprise STs: Kinney - shanks fewer punts and extends his average by a few yards
    Disappoints STs: Whoever returns punts - I don't think this staff puts to much importance on punt returns. They like to play it safe.

2. onealcd

onealcd Club Member Club Member

Surprises
    Offense: Ento steps up with size and athleticism
    Defense: Gilbert starts to get consistent pressure with the guys in the middle improving play big time from last year
    Special Teams: Dinero shows his potential

Disappointments
    Offense: Bish struggles to find a way onto the field
    Defense: Samson struggled with consistency and doesn't take the next step, ends up sharing reps with Jackson.
    Special Teams: no idea.

3. scoob

scoob Club Member Club Member

Fwiw, this is one area of MM's conservative approach that I'm on board with. Unless you have a real game-breaker, the numbers show that a fair catch is usually the best play. The downside (fumbles, injuries) outweigh the seven yards of field position.

As long as we have a guy who can reliably catch a punt, and Ben Kelly and Jeff Campbell are out of eligibility, I'm good with it.

CULifer likes this.
  4. JWP303

JWP303 Active Member

Sefo "Jay Cutler" Liufau will disappoint. Really going out on a limb with this one.

aghcsm and Bufffan68 like this.
  5. J.R. Ewing

I agree with you on that one. I think the guidance they gave last year was "don't try to return it unless it's wide open for at least 5 yards." I bet they're doing the same this year.

6. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I'm ok with the play-it-safe approach to punt returns. The injury issue isn't as big a deal to me as the fumble/penalty issue. It seems like there is an illegal block called on at least half the punts that get returned. So much can go wrong in a punt return that it makes little sense to take much of a risk there.

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Only dealing with disappointments:

Disappoints Offense: Irwin - he's lost a step.

Disappoints Defense: Witherspoon - more an athlete than a football player.
    Disappoints STs: Kickers. All of them.

8. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: Ross - more short/intermediate routes and less drops equals whammy
    Disappoints Offense: Bobo/Ento/etc. - we never replace the loss of Winfree

Surprise Defense: Oliver - plays shutdown corner and allows Chido to be a rover
    Disappoints Defense: KO - continues to over-pursuit - not a huge disappointment, just relative to the rest of our badass defense

Surprise STs: KR - not sure who it's going to be, but someone is going to take one to the house in a crucial moment
    Disappoints STs: The tee - damn thing isn't going to do its job a couple times, so someone is going to have to just the tip the ball on kickoff

9. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

MacIntyre does not value special teams very much in general.

10. J.R. Ewing

Which is surprising given his time with Cutcliffe.

11. chitownbuff

chitownbuff Club Member Club Member

So, MacIntyre disappoints. Who impresses?

12. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

MacIntyre coaches right to expectations. Leavitt exceeds them.

13. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

I'm OK with the play it safe mentality in the return game if we know the offense is going to fall out of bed and put up 30 points against good competition. Since that's not the case with this offense (unless they truly surprise), I believe they really need to work with a reliable return man that can be a legit scoring threat and/or at least give them good field position.

Surprise Offense: Devin Ross... I think has the chance to be our leading receiver in terms of receptions. Both underneath and over the top threat that finally has his year.
    Surprise Defense: ILB corps... I really think an area of extreme weakness a year ago is going to prove to be a strength with Gillam healthy and bigger, Olugbode another year in the program, Drew Lewis joining the mix, and oh yeah... our leading tackler from last year Rick Gamboa providing good depth.

Talking about Disappointments in the preseason is lame.

14. AgouraBuff

AgouraBuff New Member

Surprise Offense: Jay MacIntyre. I see him getting a bunch of throws his way after Ross drops a few early in the season, and he becomes Scotty McKnight Part Deux
    Disappoint offense: the RBs. While I want to believe the run game will get on track this year, I have been severely underwhelmed by the talent we have at that position. I think we have three or four 3rd strng RBs, which does not equal 1 true first team player. We need a Royce Freeman type talent pronto if this offense is going to take the next step in the future.

Surprise Defense: Addison Gillam. I think he is going to flash like 2013 with added size and strength that will allow him to take back the mantle of rising CU LB star.
    Disappoint defense: pass rush from front seven. While I think we will be much better against the run than we have been in prior years, I still see us struggling to get to the QB with our base defenses. Jim Leavitt is a hell of a coach, but I just don't see the guys we have making an impact without some exotic blitzes. Fortunately we have some really good DBs, so we can afford to bring some heat from the LBs and safeties.

ST surprise: Kinney. We will be in the top 3 in conference in net punting. He started to show late why he was one of the best HS punters in the nation.
    ST disappointment: Diego. I sitll see him as a liability in the clutch. Just doesn't have the look of a guy who will step up when needed.

J.R. Ewing likes this.
  15. J.R. Ewing

Welcome noob. Now get me a beer.

16. TSchekler

TSchekler Darth's Hero Club Member

We could also use a Deshaun Watson type talent at QB and a JuJu Smith-Schuster talent at WR in the future.

Big Jim likes this.
  17. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

Some of these guys are already being talked about in camp so I don't know how much surprise will it will be but I think these guys are going to have good years

Defense -
    Franke - Like his motor a lot
    Drew Lewis
    Laguda

Offense -
    Julmisse - Prediction - This kid will make us glad he is a Buff over and over again
    Montez
    Bobo
    Lee

I really like Adkins but it looks like he is going to be chronically injured the rest of his career in a Buffs uniform. Too bad, good kid with a lot of potential.

Disappointment - Rippy - just sad, he really could have meant a lot to this team.

goalline likes this.
  18. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: Julmisse - becomes one of the more dangerous and reliable playmakers
    Disappoints Offense: Sefo - foot isn't 100%, continues to make game-costing decisions

Surprise Defense: Oliver - his playmaking is the difference in a few Ws
    Disappoints Defense: Gillam - isn't the same player, still can't stay healthy

Surprise STs: Graham takes the PK job
    Disappoints STs: Diego loses the PK job

19. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

MacIntyre surprised everyone by going 8-4 and winning a bowl game.

Then he disappoints by being poached by Vanderbilit

--------------- or -------------

MacIntyre disappoints everyone with a four win season

Then everyone is surprised he gets a fifth year.

Heywood likes this.
  20. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: The tight end group because nobody really expects anything from them but they will produce this year.
    Disappointment Offense: The entire WR group, going to be a rough year for a group that finally has some expectations

Surprise Defense: Watch inside backer, we will have our fourth different leading tackler in four years.
    Disappointment Defense: McCartney...his head and heart are being pulled in too many directions to give the game the devotion it requires. Only 2 sacks for him this year and less than 30 tackles.

Surprise Special Teams: Julmisse, you all are right about him being a surprise. He will lead the conference in return yards.
    Disappointment Special Teams: This is a tie going to both kickers.

21. patebuff

patebuff Downgraded to half a star Club Member

Surprise Offense: Lee - We've needed someone who can blow the top off at the RB position. Think he gives us that by running and receiving.
    Disappoints Offense: Oline - Don't think we will be that much better as a whole

Surprise Defense: Oliver - This guy is going to be an all american when it is all said and done
    Disappoints Defense: KO - I think the same with Sefo. Just don't think we see him take a step forward.

Surprise STs: Diego - Think he could be really good if he fixes the issues that plagued him last year.
    Disappoints STs: Probably just the rest of ST's. Still think we see times where ST's costs us multiple games. As said above, don't think MM takes it as serious as he should.

Gramburglar and Darth Snow like this.
  22. Big Jim

Big Jim WTF? Club Member

This season is set up such there there are many opportunities for upside surprises and very few for downside disappointments. Any more than 4 wins on the season would be a fantastic upside surprise and a loss to Idaho State would be about the only downside disappointment available to the team. If CU wins more than 4 games there will be a bunch of players that are nice surprises.

23. BuffUp

BuffUp W.T.T.F. Club Member

All surprise and no disappointment

Go BUFFS!

24. Mighty Buff

Mighty Buff Asshat BANNED

So your over under is 4 then. Is that correct? Are you and deaddog buddies? How you picking the CSU Game?

Very interesting.

25. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: Sean Irwin - I think the addition of coach Chev will lead to Sean having a breakout year in terms of production.
    Disappoint Offense: Adkins. He will get hurt again in non-conference and will rarely see the field.

Surprise Defense: Olugbode. Improved DL will allow him to fly around and not try and do too much.
    Disappoint Defense: Spoon. I could see him struggling with consistency. I am very high on the rest of the DB's and DL and I think the LB's will take a big step forward. He's the only one I'm worried about right now.

26. cu62nu36

cu62nu36 Club Member Club Member

Surprise Offense: Donovan Lee and George Frazier.
    Disappointment: Sefo, Adkins

Surprise Defense: Drew Lewis
    Disappointment: Gillam

27. 8Jah

8Jah Club Member Club Member

Voting for disappointments just seems like rooting for a kid to fail...I hope all of you all regret your votes there.

Surprise offense: Awini's effectiveness when used occasionally in the wildcat formation.

Surprise defense: Carrell's improvement getting TFLs and sacs even from the 3-4

28. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Can I do it again, Adkins will surprise and stay healthy (Notice the font)

CitizenKane and Highlander like this.
  29. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

I sincerely hope all of the kids succeed. Doesn't mean I think they all will, but it does mean I hope I am wrong!

30. Bufffan68

Bufffan68 Club Member Club Member

Offense Surprise: Sefo takes a leap behind a good OL and leads the team to 4 conference wins.

Offense Disappointment: TEs are under utilized again by offensive brainiac Lindgren.

Defense Surprise: Gillam stays healthy. And he makes 1st team all PAC.

Defense Disappointment: OLBs combine for only 20 sacks :)

ST Surprise: Mac opens things up and we lead the conference in return yards.

ST Disappointment: We continue to not hit kickoffs into the end zone.