What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who would you hire and why?

General consensus on our boards is you guys should hire Pat Hill...man could recruit like a mofo and you have the resources to get him good coordinators.

We are on to you FSU fans. We know that you want to beat us again next year, this time in our house. :lol:

We are on to you FSU fans. We know that you want to beat us again next year, this time in our house. :lol:

Genius. If he'd gone with a rationale for keeping Embree and staff in place to give them time to recruit to their system and develop their program, we would have quickly seen through it and destroyed him. But this approach was much more Machiavellian. Impressive. :lol:

I was chanting Pat Hill before embree... I like his toughness and stout defenses... Being from Pac12 territory is also a +. Even if he was considered for defensive coordinator and brown defensive backs coach would be an upgrade. Stitt for offensive coordinator and eb recruiting coordinator. Get rid of rip, not impressed at all.

My boy Gary Anderson from Utah State just beat Sonny D on his home turf to win the WAC. Give me Gary Anderson for the next CU HC.

Last edited:
Not as much a suggested hire as a name I would like to read some feedback on. San Diego DC John Pagano. San Diego may see its staff turned over this season, he is a Boulder product with deep roots here. Not a long tenure as a DC though.

I really hope we can do better than that with our next hire.
Gary Anderson is a very good coach. Don't get why people have such a program with smaller school hires. More often than not offensive innovators come from small time.

Chip Kelly came from New Hampshire, Rich Rod came from Tulane, Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green.

This bias against small school coaches is as old fashioned as our fanbase is.

Gary Anderson is a very good coach. Don't get why people have such a program with smaller school hires. More often than not offensive innovators come from small time.

Chip Kelly came from New Hampshire, Rich Rod came from Tulane, Urban Meyer came from Bowling Green.

Hawkins

I'm tellin ya. Derek Mason, Stanford DC. He beat USC and Oregon and recruits for a much better academic school than CU.

He's a .500 coach in the WAC with zero BCS experience. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, just that I really think CU needs to go big with our next hire to get out of the massive hole we're in, not take another shot on a cheap hire from a small school.

He's a .500 coach in the WAC with zero BCS experience. I'm not saying he's a bad coach, just that I really think CU needs to go big with our next hire to get out of the massive hole we're in, not take another shot on a cheap hire from a small school.

You certainly have a valid argument, but part of your argument is why I like him as a choice. He has taken a terrible Utah State program and turned them into a very good football program, so he knows how to rebuild. I also like that he knows this region. The Stanford DC would also be an exciting hire.

By the way, 2 of the coaches you mentioned had BCS coordinator experience before getting their first HC gig, and the 3rd (Meyer) took his team to a BCS game and won national coach of the year before getting a BCS HC job. Not a fair comparison at all IMo.

You certainly have a valid argument, but part of your argument is why I like him as a choice. He has taken a terrible Utah State program and turned them into a very good football program, so he knows how to rebuild. I also like that he knows this region. The Stanford DC would also be an exciting hire.

The regional thing is nice to some degree, but we're not going to compete in the PAC 12 on the backs of recruits from the Rocky Mountain region. We need someone who is familiar with the more fertile recruiting grounds in our conference (California, Arizona, and to a lesser extent Texas). If we're competitive again then CU will become more attractive to the local kids as well.

I do understand where you've been coming from. But, I don't think you see where I'm coming from. I'll try to be clearer because I think it is important in realistically evaluating the kinds of coaches we'd be able to hire. In looking at what we've done in the past and comparing that to what other top 25 programs pay, I find it unrealistic to assume that the admin is going to pay the coaching staff what we'll need to pay in order to get the results we want. Given where we are now, I think the post Embree staff will make approximately $2.75-$3.25mm per year (which might be average for all BCS schools, but far less than the median for the nation's best teams).

To find out why, we have to evaluate total compensation when thinking about why CU pays its football staff what it does. As I see it, we pay the current assistant staff what we do (which is only average for the conference in 2012) BECAUSE the head coach is grossly underpaid compared to the conference. The university admin doesn't care so much about where the money is spent so long as it doesn't exceed their budget for total football staff compensation.

So, if we raise the HC salary as you say (by $1.25 -- $1.75mm per year), the assistant salary pool diminishes greatly. The only problem with that is assistants are what make teams winners. They're the primary recruiters and coaches who develop players. If we cut assistant pay from where we are now, we make it even more difficult to attract very good assistants to accompany the (hopefully) very good HC we hire.

That's why I keep saying that I *wish* we would spend $4.5-$5mm+ on coaches. Why? Because that would put us in the range with other schools who are consistently within the top 25. But, I do not think that my wish will become a reality because over the past twenty years or so, I have only seen the university go in the direction of spending less on football. Now that we're in the PAC 12, the money is available; but, with severe budget cuts from the state for the larger university, the money from the conference is a political hot potato for the admin.
:bump:

Back