What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who would you rather have coach the current talent now? The sequel

Mary Ann cuz she is from Kansas and is aware of the Big 12 climate and face it she was wicked hot! apparently was a fan of the refer to thus fitting into Boulder climate extremely well :smile2:

Many of you are too young to remember how much damage Fairbanks did to this school. Not just the football team. Not just the Athletic Department - the whole school. He was an unmitigated disaster.
I'm not too young - I actually was there when Chuck was there (saw the 82-42 game live). But I don't know all the details about the damage Chuck did. Other than the columbine blue unis, elaborate on that please.

Bronco, you can trace the axing of six varsity sports - baseball, wrestling, etc. - directly to the financial havoc wreaked by Fairbucks.

I'm not too young - I actually was there when Chuck was there (saw the 82-42 game live). But I don't know all the details about the damage Chuck did. Other than the columbine blue unis, elaborate on that please.

Chuckles wasn't responsible for the blue unis.

Lets see, where to start: oh yeah, he spent a mountain of cash we didn't have on really important stuff like $50,000 to remodel his office(!!!!!), helmet decals that were butt ugly and never made it to the helmets anyway, he came in here took a team that had gone 6-5 the previous year(and still had Mark Haynes and Stan Brock) and went 3-8, including a loss to DRAKE!!!!, followed that up with the worst year in CU history, the 1-10 nightmare, with a second straight loss to DRAKE, the 82-42 debacle, etc.

Which would have been bad enough, but Fairbanks, whose nickname on campus was "stone," alienated every big donor we had, which meant that when the bill came due for renovating the old team house($650,000), the Events Center($3 million), etc. came due there was no one to pay for it. And since 1-10 teams don't sell out the stadium and don't go on TV, the football team stopped making money, and so Eddie Crowder was forced to eliminate EIGHT varsity sports, and beg the school to start the athletic fee, a fee on every student to subsidize the athletic dept. that still exists, and still poisons the relationship between the athletic dept. and the rest of the school (and at the time nearly got the whole department eliminated).

In 1982, after a 3-8 season, after the recruiting class was finished, in MARCH, Fairbanks decided to bail out on us to start building the New Jersey Generals of the USFL, which was going to start playing the next spring. Can you imagine trying to hire a coach in March? We were incredibly lucky that an assistant from a major program was willing to risk his career on us.

And did I mention Walter Stanley's one-man crime wave through campus? Or losing to Nebraska 59-0 in 1981? Or wasting time having plans drawn up for expanding the stadium, when we were averaging 35,000 a game in attendance?

I to this day, still want to kick Chuck in the sack as hard as I can if I ever see him on the street!!! What Coach Mac was able to do in the aftermath was nothing short of a miracle...but even 25 years later, the CU athletic department is still suffering from the Fairbanks era!!!!

Game, Set, Match. The victory goes to the current car salesman from Norman.

On a serious note, Rick was in his early 30's when CU hired him. I think he was as surprised as anyone. He was not seasoned enough . He did leave the coaching staff relatively in place and we had two 10-win seasons with him until his guys took over. Different type of kids than what Mac recruited. Mac's recruits were tougher and more "old-school" in my opinion. But then . . . . I am a bit biased. In any event, I think Rick now would be much different than the Rick of the mid-90's. In my opinion, he would probably do well at CU now. I would not trade DH for him though.

Back