What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who's Going to Hawaii?

Don't need a reason to go to Hawaii.

Cool, and nice for the players and fans, but I hope we start to get into tournaments with more elite competition one of these years.

I'm in Hawaii now, went to the afternoon/evening games yesterday. Pretty empty stadium, would love to see lots of buffs there next year!

lets see how much convincing that my wife needs. Then i'll break the news about the tourney.

I'm in Hawaii now, went to the afternoon/evening games yesterday. Pretty empty stadium, would love to see lots of buffs there next year!

Are you visiting Hawaii or do you live there? How easy is it to get to the area a from the beach hotel zone. Was it easy to get tickets?

Are you visiting Hawaii or do you live there? How easy is it to get to the area a from the beach hotel zone. Was it easy to get tickets?

It looks like it's on the UH campus, which is not too far from Waikiki. Just on the other side of H-1.

You all should look into this for your holiday travel next year.

BcRAqd8CEAA9HNl.jpg

Would it be dumb to take a one year old on that flight? We would stay overnight in Portland or San Diego to make it shorter but still over 5 hours.

Would it be dumb to take a one year old on that flight? We would stay overnight in Portland or San Diego to make it shorter but still over 5 hours.

No. What would be dumb is avoiding flights during that first 18 months. Kids sleep at that age (and don't weigh much to lug around an airport). It's the few years after that when travel becomes a nightmare with them.

No. What would be dumb is avoiding flights during that first 18 months. Kids sleep at that age (and don't weigh much to lug around an airport). It's the few years after that when travel becomes a nightmare with them.

+1 to what Nik said. Traveling with little ones isn't that hard once you get the hang of it. Plus, it gets them used to what it's like being in an airplane. Put them on a plane once or twice before they are 2 years old, and they are great travelers for life. Put a kid on an airplane for the first time when he/she is 4 years old, and it's a disaster. We took our daughter to Hawaii for her first birthday. She was great. Now, she loves to fly and has the whole routine down. She has her carry-on that she's responsible for, she wheels it through the airport all by herself, no whining, no crying, no fuss, no problem.

Thanks we are planning trips but were going to keep it under 4 hours. I might put a few trips under our belt before we decide. He is a terrible sleeper now so it is hard to picture him getting 5 straight hours on a flightm

Thanks we are planning trips but were going to keep it under 4 hours. I might put a few trips under our belt before we decide. He is a terrible sleeper now so it is hard to picture him getting 5 straight hours on a flightm

He won't have to sleep the whole time. Kids that age only cry for one of three reasons - 1) they're tired. 2) they're hungry. 3) they have a messy diaper. If he's tired, he can sleep. For some reason, the movement of the airplane helps put kids to sleep. If he's hungry, feed him. Then he'll get tired and go to sleep. If he has a messy diaper, you'll know pretty quick. Just pick him up, take him to the lavatory, and get him changed. Easy peasy.

Parenting is so damn easy.

We are visiting, but my sister lives here.

As someone else posted, its at UH campus which is very close to Waikiki where most of the hotels are.

Tickets were a breeze. We bought tickets that were pretty high up, and moved down when we realized there weren't a ton of people there. Ended up having good seats and got to hear Frank Martin cussing this players out. For the UH vs Bosie St game the arena filled up close to 3/4 full, but we were able to keep our close seats.
I'm not sure how this worked, but avid fans of the each team had tickets behind their respective teams benches. The university might be given those tickets to hand out though, I'm not sure..

I went to this tournament a few years back. Pretty fun, and the locals show up for the Hawai'i games. Been planning on going since Thorburn let it slip two years ago. The stadium is a short bus ride from downtown Honolulu, making everything convenient. I highly suggest the trip if you can swing it.

Thank yo for the advice. With what will then be a 6 month old,maybe this will help sell my wife :)

For those that are worried about whether or not they can swing watching our heroes play over christmas in 2014, I have some suggestions.
(First, feel free to ignore this if you like. It's worked for me in the past - still does - so I figure I'd share)

My advice is to go apply for the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Card (link) The mileage bonus you (could) get will vary based on time that you apply, but you're not after the mileage - no, we are smarter than that here. If you read the fine print, you'll not that there's an annual fee of $75 - a princely sum indeed. However one of the card benefits is a "companion pass". What this means for you, buff loyalist and basketball fanatic, is that you can purchase one ticket (must be operated by alaska airlines - meaning a layover in SEA or LAX, most likely) at full price and get the second one for $99 (+fees of $20).

For example (they have yet to load next years december fares into the database) you purchase one ticket for the princely sum of $575, you can then redeem a second ticket (for a spouse, significant other, or member of this board) for $99 + fees, bringing your total cost to $695 (575+99 companion pass + 20 fees). For the sake of easy rounding, we can call that $700, and split between the two parties, that's $350 per for a round trip (DEN --> HNL).

I have this card myself (and used this tactic to take my wife to alaska this summer). If you're worried about implications on your credit or what have you, do your research (but your score will probably go up). I will give you a bit of caution - if you're thinking of borrowing money for a major purchase (car, house) do this after you've finalized that note.

While this does not take care of lodging, flights to hawaii are expensive and this will help offset them if you're interested. If not, no worries.

For those that are worried about whether or not they can swing watching our heroes play over christmas in 2014, I have some suggestions.
(First, feel free to ignore this if you like. It's worked for me in the past - still does - so I figure I'd share)

My advice is to go apply for the Bank of America Alaska Airlines Visa Card (link) The mileage bonus you (could) get will vary based on time that you apply, but you're not after the mileage - no, we are smarter than that here. If you read the fine print, you'll not that there's an annual fee of $75 - a princely sum indeed. However one of the card benefits is a "companion pass". What this means for you, buff loyalist and basketball fanatic, is that you can purchase one ticket (must be operated by alaska airlines - meaning a layover in SEA or LAX, most likely) at full price and get the second one for $99 (+fees of $20).

For example (they have yet to load next years december fares into the database) you purchase one ticket for the princely sum of $575, you can then redeem a second ticket (for a spouse, significant other, or member of this board) for $99 + fees, bringing your total cost to $695 (575+99 companion pass + 20 fees). For the sake of easy rounding, we can call that $700, and split between the two parties, that's $350 per for a round trip (DEN --> HNL).

I have this card myself (and used this tactic to take my wife to alaska this summer). If you're worried about implications on your credit or what have you, do your research (but your score will probably go up). I will give you a bit of caution - if you're thinking of borrowing money for a major purchase (car, house) do this after you've finalized that note.

While this does not take care of lodging, flights to hawaii are expensive and this will help offset them if you're interested. If not, no worries.

the Alaskan card had a 50k signup bonus as of a few weeks ago, so 25k is not hot. I would go for the citi American Airlines card with a 50k signup bonus which would be enough for a free ticket to hawaii.

the Alaskan card had a 50k signup bonus as of a few weeks ago, so 25k is not hot. I would go for the citi American Airlines card with a 50k signup bonus which would be enough for a free ticket to hawaii.

True - I was hoping it'd last till after NYE so I could sign my wife up for the card.

Back