What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Who's our next coach

I would take Elway over Hawkins! He isn't my first pick, and usually I am against firing the HC just to get rid of him, but I think the unknown is actually better than the known at this point.

I don't buy the no coaching experience talk. They guy has been around football for decades. Same with Bieniemy who has actually been around every high level of football and coaching for the last ten years.

As long as someone like Bieniemy was able to surround himself with other experienced coaches they can do well as a figurehead for the football team.

I thought about Gary Patterson and as much of his staff as we could get the last time this issue came up and they went with Hawkins.

I still tend to think there could be some benefits. I sure would like to see a defense that solid line up in Folsom on a regular basis. Virginia, 72 yards total offense with 4+ to go in the fourth. That's impressive.

I thought about Gary Patterson and as much of his staff as we could get the last time this issue came up and they went with Hawkins.

I still tend to think there could be some benefits. I sure would like to see a defense that solid line up in Folsom on a regular basis. Virginia, 72 yards total offense with 4+ to go in the fourth. That's impressive.

I was looking at the TCU game as well, and thought about Patterson too. He has done pretty well there, is he ready for a BCS school or would he be a WAC repeat of Hackins.

With 9 years under his belt at TCU you can't say he has rested on his predecessors laurels and if we invite the staff we don't miss a Peterson type that now is rumored in some circles to have held Hawkins up during his years at Boise.

Embo and EB. Thats it. Bring them in and recruiting goes through the roof. Embo got our last good WR group going (Hackett, McCoy, etc.). Not to mention, while he is a nice guy, he portrays ultimate confidence and strength at ALL times. Bienemy will get these guys fired up, we'll still have Cabral. This call should've been made, ummmmm, four years ago.

I think Allbuffs should be the next coach. Collectively, we know more about coaching than anyone.

I was looking at the TCU game as well, and thought about Patterson too. He has done pretty well there, is he ready for a BCS school or would he be a WAC repeat of Hackins.
I think Patterson is the real deal. I don't know if we could pull him away though, it looks like he turned down $2 million a year from Minnesota a few years ago. In any case he would be a great hire. His defenses are always phenomenal, he'll be able to recruit Texas well, and he has experience out in California as well (although it was in the 80's).

My short list -
Gary Patterson
Turner Gill
Charlie Strong
Skip Holtz
Bronco Mendenhall
Kyle Whittingham

Shanahan is a pipe dream IMO but it would be awesome if he came to Boulder and brought Jeremy Bates as OC. While I like Embree and Bienemy, I'd be more comfortable with one them in an OC position first. It is a big jump to go from a position coach to HC.

Re: So... what about it? John Elway.

Is it totally crazy to think about making him an offer?

He's a member of both the college and pro football halls of fame.

Arguably the greatest QB of all time.

Was (is?) the owner of the Colorado Crush

Certainly knows a thing or two about coaching having being raised and coached by Jack Elway.

Is independently wealthy so I don't think money would be an issue.

We offered his long time back up the HC job once so why not him?

I like the optimism. As long as you’re dreaming the impossible dream, I vote for Bill Parcells and Bill Cowher. They are available too.

:lol::lol::lol:

John Elway? Seriously?

And please people, stop with the Tuberville talk. It is not even the remotest of possibilities. Not to mention he would be a HORRIBLE fit for Boulder and this school.

I'm just going to update this every time a BCS school gets beat by a non-BCS school.

Kevin Sumlin.

I hear Charlie "The Tuna" Weiss will be looking for a job pretty soon.

:lol::lol::lol:

John Elway? Seriously?

And please people, stop with the Tuberville talk. It is not even the remotest of possibilities. Not to mention he would be a HORRIBLE fit for Boulder and this school.

No. Not seriously. I originally said it in a facetious manner and put a smiley beside it but I caught a ration of sh*t over even mentioning it. It actually made me think though, if Elway was remotely interested we could do far far worse. Just consider what I said earlier about coordinators doing the heavy lifting and Elway being a recruiting magnet. Of course this pre-supposes that we could attract solid coordinators but one thing at a time. I'm puzzled by the reaction to my Elway as coach scenario. It's as if I had suggested oprah should be the coach. Has it been so long that the icon/demi-god status of Elway has worn off? Former players with far less prestigious careers have become great coaches. We're at rock bottom here. A sears mannequin wearing a CU sweater-vest would be an upgrade to our coaching. If Elway were to approach Bohn tomorrow and say "I want the job" would it be such a bad thing? I know it won't happen but the idea was an extemporaneous pipe dream to begin with.

I think the scoffing is more directed at the notion that Elway would give coaching here even a passing thought.

That Peterson guy at Boise State looks pretty good.:smile2:

I think it's a give that Sumlin will leave UH for a higher profile job at some point, but I don't know if he thinks we qualify or not.:sad1:

...okay...seriously don't laugh, but I was talking to a Nebraska fan at the gym...

He said a lot of Husker fans are afraid that if Hawk is sent packing, then we'll be the first in line after the season to offer Short Bus Watson back to Boulder.

I laughed at him, and explained to him Watson's nickname. I will admit though that he has produced while in Lincoln, but I do not want him, nor do I think he would want to return here.

...okay...seriously don't laugh, but I was talking to a Nebraska fan at the gym...

He said a lot of Husker fans are afraid that if Hawk is sent packing, then we'll be the first in line after the season to offer Short Bus Watson back to Boulder.

I laughed at him, and explained to him Watson's nickname. I will admit though that he has produced while in Lincoln, but I do not want him, nor do I think he would want to return here.
You're right. In an article he says it will take a special program(He said not CU) to take him out of Nebraska. Which basically means a high level BCS Team.

:thumbsup:

Very much agreed!

My "shopping list" after the season is officially over:

Brian Kelly, Cincinnati
Gary Patterson, TCU
Skip Holtz, East Carolina
Turner Gill, Buffalo (with another improved season)
Kevin Wilson, Oklahoma OC
Chuck Martin, Grand Valley State (say what you will but he will be a big-time coach for someone soon)

In my opinion we should stay away from the "flashy" hype guys and get a brass-tacks "X's and O's" coach that can get the most out of his players and actually get the guys he recruits onto the field and performing.

No to all of them...we need recruiters...

What makes you think that Holtz and Patterson can't recruit? They both surrounded by a bunch of BCS programs in their respective regions but have still had some pretty decent teams.
Heck, the fact that Turner Gill can get ANYONE to come to Buffalo is borderline miraculous. My aplogies to the good people of Buffalo, NY, but how the heck to attract players to that garden spot?

Heck, the fact that Turner Gill can get ANYONE to come to Buffalo is borderline miraculous. My aplogies to the good people of Buffalo, NY, but how the heck to attract players to that garden spot?

Yea, and it's not like a ton of D-I talent comes out of western or upstate NY either.

What makes you think that Holtz and Patterson can't recruit? They both surrounded by a bunch of BCS programs in their respective regions but have still had some pretty decent teams.

I know from talking to buddies who are big Frogs fan down in Fort Worth that Patterson has worked his ass off recruiting the entire state of Texas. He has great relationships with the high school coaches down there. He would be a great hire IMO, but I doubt he has much interest.

Although we finally scored. I am more interested to see who everyone thinks our next coach should be. If our team is as bad as most of us think, there should be no other choice but to fire Hawkins.

The only name I've heard is Bienemy but I have to think working with Adrian Peterson would be better than trying to rebuild this mess.

After two lousy losses I've been pondering this issue. My feeling is that if it comes to the point where CU and Hawkins have to part company CU is in a bit of a pickle. One would assume we'd be 0-6 or worse when this is handed down and the program would more or less be bottoming.

The pickle CU is in, as I see it, is that we need a proven commodity. A big name. A guy that electrifies the fan base and is able to land recruits. They'll be no taking chances again on a guy with no HC experience or even a guy on the fringe (and BSU is not on the fringe). I think CU HAS to spend the money to get a Tubberville or a Shannahan. Those guys might not stay forever but they will leave us in better shape be reestablishing the program and give leave us a staff that can promote from.

I sure hope we dont pay Neinas for his "advice" again. Afterall, Butch Davis was sitting out there (and aparently interested) and we never called. Dumb. And this is where I bcome critical of Bohn in that he doesn't have that list in his pocket of obvious candidates. Hell, maybe Hawkins is what the academics wanted and now their gonna burn for it. We'll see.

I know from talking to buddies who are big Frogs fan down in Fort Worth that Patterson has worked his ass off recruiting the entire state of Texas. He has great relationships with the high school coaches down there. He would be a great hire IMO, but I doubt he has much interest.
Not so sure about that.....I think he would be interested.

Afterall, Butch Davis was sitting out there (and aparently interested) and we never called. Dumb. And this is where I bcome critical of Bohn in that he doesn't have that list in his pocket of obvious candidates. Hell, maybe Hawkins is what the academics wanted and now their gonna burn for it. We'll see.

Butch Davis was NEVER going to be considered as a possible successor to Barnett when Bohn's #1 responsibility at that point in time was cleaning up the image of the athletic department.... Bringing in a coach who had been at The U was never going to happen...

Back