What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why 16 team playoff is necessary not 4 or 8.

TriCityBuff

There is NO point in doing the playoff off if you are going to have 8 or 4 teams. We are better off having 5 BCS games in that case. That at least gives 10 teams a shot at a big game.

Throw out all of the OOC conference games except for maybe one or two. That makes up for the 4 possible playoff games. Only 2 teams in a 16 team playoff would make it that far anyway. Most teams will play one and then several others two or three games in the playoffs.

Why not give EVERY conference a chance like 1AA? 11 teams with five at larges for the Big 12, ACC and other BCS conf. Every conf. champ deserves a shot at going. Think about how much more competative conf. play would become.

EVERY game would STILL matter.

With 4 or 8 you are still screwing a ton of people, including the little guys.

There is NO point in doing the playoff off if you are going to have 8 or 4 teams. We are better off having 5 BCS games in that case. That at least gives 10 teams a shot at a big game.

Throw out all of the OOC conference games except for maybe one or two. That makes up for the 4 possible playoff games. Only 2 teams in a 16 team playoff would make it that far anyway. Most teams will play one and then several others two or three games in the playoffs.

Why not give EVERY conference a chance like 1AA? 11 teams with five at larges for the Big 12, ACC and other BCS conf. Every conf. champ deserves a shot at going. Think about how much more competative conf. play would become.

EVERY game would STILL matter.

With 4 or 8 you are still screwing a ton of people, including the little guys.

What about the teams that don't make the playoffs ? If you throw out half their OOC games that would make for a very short season.

Here's why:

Do you really think the following teams deserve a shot at the title? I don't think a single one of them could make that claim. Of the non-BCS conferences, only UH would deserve to be in any kind of playoff this year, IMO.

Troy (8-4) Sun Belt champion - lost to Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Florida Atlantic
BYU (10-2) MWC champion - lost to UCLA and Tulsa
UCF (10-3) CUSA champion - lost to Texas, East Carolina and South Florida
Central Michigan (8-5) MAC champion - lost to Kansas, Purdue, North Dakota St., Clemson, Eastern Michigan

8 teams would be just about right, IMO. 6 BCS conference champs and 2 at-large bids.

Here's why:

Do you really think the following teams deserve a shot at the title? I don't think a single one of them could make that claim. Of the non-BCS conferences, only UH would deserve to be in any kind of playoff this year, IMO.

Troy (8-4) Sun Belt champion - lost to Arkansas, Florida, Georgia, Florida Atlantic
BYU (10-2) MWC champion - lost to UCLA and Tulsa
UCF (10-3) CUSA champion - lost to Texas, East Carolina and South Florida
Central Michigan (8-5) MAC champion - lost to Kansas, Purdue, North Dakota St., Clemson, Eastern Michigan

8 teams would be just about right, IMO. 6 BCS conference champs and 2 at-large bids.

:yeahthat: I wouldnt want to see any more than 8 teams. With the system you propose a non-BCS team that goes undefeated they would get in, but dog **** teams wouldnt :thumbsup:

16 is way too many because then big games such as OU-Mizzou, KU-Mizzou, OSU-Michigan last year, etc. are no longer elimination games. They instead become games played only for pride and playoff slotting, therefore devaluing the regular season as far as determining the national champion.

8 teams at the most but I still think 4 is ideal.

here's how to do it, imho.

you form 8 conferences with 12 teams each using the existing major conferences... thus, the p10 expands to 12, the b10 adds notre dame, etc.

that is 96 teams in the mix, which is the vast majority of d-1 teams. every 4 years or so, you'd review the poor performing teams (like they do in english soccer) and you'd replace some of them with other d-1 teams who aren't in the original 96 but have earned their right in for the next 4 year period.

each of the 8 conferences would HAVE to play a conference championship game.

each of the 8 ccg winners would advance to the playoffs. you'd rotate the nc game among the 4-5 top bowls. the quarters and semis would also be played at rotating bowl locations. all the other bowls would be for non-playoff qualifying teams.

everyone plays an 11 game regular season instead of 12 so that you don't make the season too long.

this would work.

here's how to do it, imho.

you form 8 conferences with 12 teams each using the existing major conferences... thus, the p10 expands to 12, the b10 adds notre dame, etc.

that is 96 teams in the mix, which is the vast majority of d-1 teams. every 4 years or so, you'd review the poor performing teams (like they do in english soccer) and you'd replace some of them with other d-1 teams who aren't in the original 96 but have earned their right in for the next 4 year period.

each of the 8 conferences would HAVE to play a conference championship game.

each of the 8 ccg winners would advance to the playoffs. you'd rotate the nc game among the 4-5 top bowls. the quarters and semis would also be played at rotating bowl locations. all the other bowls would be for non-playoff qualifying teams.

everyone plays an 11 game regular season instead of 12 so that you don't make the season too long.

this would work.

like they do it everywhere in football, not just england although the premiership is the biggest whore out there.

dont think such a system would work in college sports tho. just think of the recruits. or the coaches. who would want to go to a team that isnt in one of the power 8 conferences? and who would want to go to a team that just got promoted to the power 8? if a coach of a non-power 8 team got an offer from a power 8 team, he´d bolt in a second. i think you could unneccessarily create a rather big gulf between the haves and the have-nots thats impossible to overcome. just look at the premiership. its a 20 team league but only 4 have a realistic chance of winning it. those 4 are guaranteed of a top 4 finish, which means champions league qualification and a huge financial windfall. i might have gone a little off topic here, but i guess you understand what i mean. i dont think it´d be in the best interest of college football to create such a big gulf between the haves and the have-nots and condemn teams to a life in "poverty".

its one of the big problems i have with the direction football is headed in here. it works here, but the sports landscape is totally different here from top to bottom.

like they do it everywhere in football, not just england although the premiership is the biggest whore out there.

dont think such a system would work in college sports tho. just think of the recruits. or the coaches. who would want to go to a team that isnt in one of the power 8 conferences? and who would want to go to a team that just got promoted to the power 8? if a coach of a non-power 8 team got an offer from a power 8 team, he´d bolt in a second. i think you could unneccessarily create a rather big gulf between the haves and the have-nots thats impossible to overcome. just look at the premiership. its a 20 team league but only 4 have a realistic chance of winning it. those 4 are guaranteed of a top 4 finish, which means champions league qualification and a huge financial windfall. i might have gone a little off topic here, but i guess you understand what i mean. i dont think it´d be in the best interest of college football to create such a big gulf between the haves and the have-nots and condemn teams to a life in "poverty".

its one of the big problems i have with the direction football is headed in here. it works here, but the sports landscape is totally different here from top to bottom.

hmmm. you've actually hit on something i didn't factor in and i should have. it WOULD be a bummer to be recruited to play at say, baylor, and then 2 years into your time there, baylor gets dropped out of the b12 and replaced by a resurgent smu team or something. that wouldn't be fair to the players.

i guess we have to go with the 8 superconferences and not let anyone in via replacement down the road. i am actually ok with the haves v. have-nots part of it because it is already like that. this is the fairest way to give a big number of the have-nots a chance at the nc. look at hawaii. they are undefeated but played such a horribly weak schedule that they have no chance at a nc. if you had a playoff, a team like that would at least have a chance to prove it on the field. and, this year, i am pretty sure that one of the many 2 loss teams would win their way thru the playoffs ahead of ohio state.

hmmm. you've actually hit on something i didn't factor in and i should have. it WOULD be a bummer to be recruited to play at say, baylor, and then 2 years into your time there, baylor gets dropped out of the b12 and replaced by a resurgent smu team or something. that wouldn't be fair to the players.

i guess we have to go with the 8 superconferences and not let anyone in via replacement down the road. i am actually ok with the haves v. have-nots part of it because it is already like that. this is the fairest way to give a big number of the have-nots a chance at the nc. look at hawaii. they are undefeated but played such a horribly weak schedule that they have no chance at a nc. if you had a playoff, a team like that would at least have a chance to prove it on the field. and, this year, i am pretty sure that one of the many 2 loss teams would win their way thru the playoffs ahead of ohio state.

i know, but your proposed promotion/relegation system would be taking that to an absolute extreme.

however, if you go with the power 8 plan, you might just as well put the other 23 teams into d1aa as thered be absolutely no reason for them to stay in d1a.

I'm in favor of a 16 team playoff. Look, only two of those 16 teams is going to play all four games anyway, so it's not really that big of a stretch. I think you can keep the current bowl system and BCS ranking system in place and incorporate the playoffs into it. The top 16 ranked teams in the BCS are put into the playoffs, with all the rest of the teams just going to whatever bowl they get invited to. It's really not all that hard. Smaller bowls, like the Independence and Texas Bowl serve as early round games, working up to the Sugar Bowl/Rose Bowl/Orange whatever as the National Championship.

It's really NOT that hard. :huh:

The fact is BCS runs through 2010 so there won't be a change til then. At best I see them going to a +1 system. That will probably go for 4 years, then they will say how great it works and renew it for another 4 years. So I am predicting 2018 is when we may actually get an 8 team playoff. For those of you hoping for a 16 team playoff they may have one for in 2026.

One of the great things about college football is that every regular season game counts. The season is like a playoff. I think we would lose a little if, say a Big XII team lost three games yet won the north or south by a tie breaker, made it to the Big XII Championship, and won. Then they would get to play for a national championship. Well, thats great, but it minimizes the importance and excitement ot the regular season.

A 4 or 8 game playoff which selected, as best as possible, the 4 or 8 best teams is the way to go. At worst, you would have a 2 loss team in there. Plus, you could still have your bowl games. Whatever they come up with, they still need to keep the bowl structure in place as much as possible.

One of the great things about college football is that every regular season game counts. The season is like a playoff. I think we would lose a little if, say a Big XII team lost three games yet won the north or south by a tie breaker, made it to the Big XII Championship, and won. Then they would get to play for a national championship. Well, thats great, but it minimizes the importance and excitement ot the regular season.

A 4 or 8 game playoff which selected, as best as possible, the 4 or 8 best teams is the way to go. At worst, you would have a 2 loss team in there. Plus, you could still have your bowl games. Whatever they come up with, they still need to keep the bowl structure in place as much as possible.

A playoff with several consolation brackets from which you can get back into the real thing.

I´d be happy with a 4 team playoff FOR NOW as in most seasons, not more than 4 teams have a legit claim that they should be in there anyway. This season is obviously different as at least OSU, OU, Virginia Tech, LSU, USC and maybe even Hawaii have a legit claim.

I like a 16 team playoff format, only with no conference guaranties. Take the top 16 BCS ranked teams and seed them in that order. If a major conference doesn't get into the playoff tough ****, play better next year.

The first 2 rounds = regional games similar to BB. Semis, consolation and finals could be rotated among the BCS bowls.

Non BCS bowls could still have their games with traditional conference tie ins for the teams that don't make the 16 field.

I like a 16 team playoff format, only with no conference guaranties. Take the top 16 BCS ranked teams and seed them in that order. If a major conference doesn't get into the playoff tough ****, play better next year.

The first 2 rounds = regional games similar to BB. Semis, consolation and finals could be rotated among the BCS bowls.

Non BCS bowls could still have their games with traditional conference tie ins for the teams that don't make the 16 field.

DING DING DING DING DING DING DING!!!!! If you want to crown a true national champion... then: :yeahthat:

I agree with this.

If only college football started off the way college basketball did with the tournament format. There's too much "tradition" of where teams are supposed to go. Big 10/Pac 10 champs to the rose bowl, etc. Hawaii should play in the nat'l championship just to get spanked.

Biggest problem getting a playoff will be the Rose Bowl. They don't want to change and are stuck in the old world. Which is why we get a U$C-Illinois game.

If the system gets changed they will have to include ALL the conferences or Congress will get involved and slam the NCAA, so it has to be 16 teams, all conference winners and 5 at large bids selected by the playoff commision which better include me :) There is no bitching about not getting in, win your conference or quit bitching.

Which is exactly why I think 16 teams or even 8 is too many.

I´d be happy with a 4 team playoff FOR NOW as in most seasons, not more than 4 teams have a legit claim that they should be in there anyway. This season is obviously different as at least OSU, OU, Virginia Tech, LSU, USC and maybe even Hawaii have a legit claim.

That sums it up right there, that not more than 4 teams have a legit claim. Sure, this year is an aberration, but look how wacky this season has been. This season is certainly the exception and not the norm.

If the system gets changed they will have to include ALL the conferences or Congress will get involved and slam the NCAA, so it has to be 16 teams, all conference winners and 5 at large bids selected by the playoff commision which better include me :) There is no bitching about not getting in, win your conference or quit bitching.

All conferences aren't included now. Guarantees will only cause more bitching. The BCS to 16 includes SEC, ACC, Big 10, WAC, Big XII, PAC 10, Big East with the Mtn West missing by 1 spot. That is a pretty fair coverage of anyone who has a legitimate shot including the have nots. I like the play or go home theory.

I like the look of this one:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/football/ncaa/12/05/ultimate.playoff/index.html?bcnn=yes

Some good matchups that would make for some exciting ball I think.
As far as bowls are concerned I say bring in a playoff and let them worry about how they are going to fit in.

As it stands we have two contending for the national title. The Allbuffs poll indicates nobody here really believes they are the two best teams and a national poll with a similar question led to the same result. What a joke.

Time for the bowl coalition and the NCAA to quit being such a bunch of elitists and give the fans what they want. A playoff.

Back