What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why all the Cody bashing?

People bash Cody. They do.

Not so much on the boards lately. Or maybe I have just learned to tune certain people out.

I will say that I've been embarrassed at times by other CU fans. At the spring game, there were some people loudly heckling Cody every time he threw a pass. We definitely have our share of assholes.

Not so much on the boards lately. Or maybe I have just learned to tune certain people out.

I will say that I've been embarrassed at times by other CU fans. At the spring game, there were some people loudly heckling Cody every time he threw a pass. We definitely have our share of assholes.

Exactly. That stuff is totally bs.

DBT, what triggered this?

It's been on my mind for a while. I like Cody. I don't think he gets a fair shake. I certainly believe Tyler is the man, but I also think Cody is underestimated. He's better than given credit for. IMO. I'd also agree that Dan Hawkins has exacerbated things by not publicly announcing Tyler as the starter. But, if Tyler gets injured, I have confidence in Cody. I do.

It's been on my mind for a while. I like Cody. I don't think he gets a fair shake. I certainly believe Tyler is the man, but I also think Cody is underestimated. He's better than given credit for. IMO. I'd also agree that Dan Hawkins has exacerbated things by not publicly announcing Tyler as the starter. But, if Tyler gets injured, I have confidence in Cody. I do.

How can you say he doesn't get a fair shake when he's started almost 30 games in 3 years? If this was a stacked team talent wise, Cody would be able to succeed. Unfortunately your boy Danny boy didn't recruit well enough so we need a playmaker at QB to have a winning season. Hansen is the best option in that case.

I don't get what he sacrificed either. Are you saying no one else on the team sacrificed? No one else works as hard? Cody is the only one that has to overcome adversity?

Last edited:
This is the second time I have to type this because after the first time the reply didn’t post, so here goes again and hopefully it works this time.
Story:

If some of you don’t know or don’t remember, I was the guy who led the “wear powder blue to the Texas A&M game” movement last year. It wasn’t my idea, but I was the guy who put my face and name out to the media and public to get this thing some weight.

The intent of this was to show how upset(ness) we the fans were about our coaching staff and how poorly the season was going. As always, this was misinterpreted by many people, including the media and team representatives, who claimed this was an attack against the players. Whatever, that is expected.

What most of you probably don’t know is that more than two years before I did this, I had met Cody multiple times and we talked about football, school, and life in general. We considered each other friends and knew each other fairly well. His dad, our Coach, Dan Hawkins, even knew who I was and I had seen him speak at many public and small private events.

As you can imagine, this friendship and acquaintanceship created a very awkward time when this powder blue thing came about. I received a lot of positive praise and negative criticism for what I was trying to promote. This came from fans, friends, family, and players on the team. I was very good friends with some of the players on the team, some of which I had known for more than 10 years. They treated and looked at me differently after this thing.

About two weeks after that game, though, I bumped into Cody out one weekend and when we turned and recognized each other we smiled and embraced in a hug and had a, “How are you, man, it’s good to see you,” moment. He was very friendly and welcoming even though I had not seen him in more than 6 months and I had just tried to get his dad fired two weeks before this.

The point to this story is that Cody is one of the most mature people I have ever been around and I believe he could take some brutal forms of criticism or harassment before allowing it to get to him. I do believe he has had to receive some unfair personal attacks because of his dad, but I also believe he is the type of person who can take it in stride.

This doesn’t mean it is okay to attack him, but it means he is a big boy who can handle things for himself. I know he will do great things with whatever he wants to do in life because of his attitude and maturity. We are lucky to have him as a CU Buffalo.

Cody is a great backup; I would have killed to have Cody in '02 in lieu of Robert Hodge. Cody's problem is that sometimes he tries to force things and he gets in trouble.

It's okay Cody. DBT will die for your sins. All will be forgiven.

Maybe, maybe not. That isn't the point, though, is it? You guys rip him to shreds because he is his father's son.

Evidence suggests that you got it backwards, Valdez.

DBT. What set off this thread? I haven't felt that there's a lot of Cody bashing this year. A lot of folks wishing Hawk would name TH starter, but not a lot of Cody bashing. Maybe I missed it.

I can agree with DBT on the point of the outright bashing of Cody that happens at times. He is a college kid who was asked to come to CU and play football for the team. It doesn't matter in this case that it was his father asking, he came and he gave and continues to give everything he has to the team.

At the same time I don't think it is bashing when people make an honest appraisal of him on the field. We all know that Cody is a strong leader among his teammates, a model hard-worker, and knows the offense as well if not better than some of his coaches.

At the same time I don't think it is unfair to point out that he lacks the height to effectively see the entire field, does not demonstrate the mobility to avoid sacks and hurries shown by other Big XII level QBs, and can only throw deep effectively if given plenty of room to fully step forward into his passes and complete an entire throwing motion, something that is not common at this level of football.

I see Cody as the ideal backup, he is always going to be ready to go and his teammates know that. As a starter he has shown his limitations and opponents have figured out how to prepare for and beat him.

Cody is going to get a lot of attention as long as he is a prominent QB in the system, the QB handles the ball every play and thus is the center of attention for most fans watching and commenting. Fairly or not Cody will always be associated with his dad, the head coach. When the team is losing the two people who tend to catch the most negative reaction are the coach and the QB and when both share the same last name and dinner table the attention is going to be even more intensly focused.

Cody has handled the situation as well as can be expected. Coming out of HS he was considered by many as one of the top 10-15 QB prospects in the country and lacking the presence of his dad we would have been happy to have him here. He would have simply become one of a long line of highly rated HS prospects who never quite matured into a college star. Because of the way his dad has handled the situation and the lack of alternatives early in his career he has gotten a lot more negative attention than he would have otherwise. At the same time if the attention is honest and focused on performance I don't consider it bashing. When you take the scholly to a BCS level program as a QB you accept that you will be the center of attention and some of that attention is going to be negative if you don't win a lot of games.

DBT has it right.

How many times have people said that Cody is "not a Division l quarterback"? You see that all the time on this board.

In fact, Cody has had mixed success in the second best conference in the country. He has set some CU career passing records at a school that has had some pretty good quarterbacks. He has led some pretty crappy teams to victories over some big-time, ranked opponents. He has always played with grit and determination. He's a first class guy off the field. And yeah, he isn't a star, he doesn't have the phyical tools to be one, and he isn't the best guy to start for the Buffs this year. But, not a D l quarterback? That suggestion is moronic and insulting.

And, for all the criticism of Hawk the Elder, including the bashing of his recruiting, take a look at the talent that's going to be on the Buffs next year. It looks pretty darned good to me, despite the fact that it's got a good number of sub-4-star, lunch pail guys. If Hawk gets the boot -- which I don't expect because I think he wins 7 or 8 games this year -- the next guy isn't going to be complaining about what he inherited.

Last edited:
I'm just sick of it. It really paints us message board posters as a bunch of idots. It really does. I know Tyler is our best option and that he will be the starter. But Cody is one helluva backup in my mind. The young man has sacrificed SO MUCH by coming here. It hasn't worked out and that really bums me out.

We are such a bunch of hypocrites. When his dad got the job and he committed, we were so pumped up. Everyone on this board was elated. Now, with things having gone south up to this point there seems to be no end to the Cody bashing. I'm embarrassed. I have nothing but respect for him and if Tyler goes down, I have a ton of faith that he will get it done. Remember, he came in against Okie State and marched us right down the field for a TD. I have NO DOUBT that he can get it done if need be.

DBT, we've had this conversation before on various topics. You need to quit treating the entire board of hundreds of posters as though each and every one of us -- except you -- thinks and posts the same way. It's just not true.

I'm also going to say that I can't recall ever getting on a Cody-bashing rant myself. I have no reason to. I think he's a good guy making the best of his opportunities. I acknowledge his contributions. He's been very welcoming to new guys I know; he doesn't hesitate to share what he knows to make someone else better. And he hits the gym, the weightroom and the classroom with commitment. He is a team player.

So ... I'm not going to read every post in this thread. But don't lump everyone into the same bucket. If I've said something about Cody along the way, I'm sorry. But I really doubt that I have bashed him, and I know there are a lot of other posters here who also do not bash players. Not Cody, not anybody. So think about that the next time you feel you are the only guy out there who "gets it." You are part of a group, not a lone wolf on a crusade.

Most QBs get an unfair amount of heat on message boards when things aren't well. Klatt took routine torchings on the boards every week. I can still hear the chants from those with pitchforks for BJax and BWhite.

pWhat did Cody sacrifice by coming here? You really need to back up that statement if you are going to make it.

When people acknowledge that he isn't good enough to play QB at this level -- an opinion that is supported by mountains of evidence -- it isn't bashing.

He's a great person and has represented cu football and the university with class. He isn't a div1 qb but, he's won some games and tried his ass off with never a complaint.

What options did Cody have? Kellen Moore was coming into Boise the next year and Cody never would have seen the field. And does anyone seriously think he'd have played at Oregon?

I for one was not thrilled to see him come to CU. Why in the hell did we need a 5'10" QB? This is the Big 12 and since when have teams in this conference settled on 2nd rate talent? Truth of the matter is that he's a Div. 2 QB and the only reason he's at CU is because pops is the head coach. Don't believe it, then name one team in the Big 12 he'd start for right now - in his senior year with four years of experience under his belt. Idot, huh? Look in the mirror.

Cody was a solid recruit. Remember, he was an Elite 11 QB. He was a straight-up winner in HS. But like many college QB's, his career has been up and down. At times, he could have started for many Big XII teams. Other times not.

What options did Cody have? Kellen Moore was coming into Boise the next year and Cody never would have seen the field. And does anyone seriously think he'd have played at Oregon?

I for one was not thrilled to see him come to CU. Why in the hell did we need a 5'10" QB? This is the Big 12 and since when have teams in this conference settled on 2nd rate talent? Truth of the matter is that he's a Div. 2 QB and the only reason he's at CU is because pops is the head coach. Don't believe it, then name one team in the Big 12 he'd start for right now - in his senior year with four years of experience under his belt. Idot, huh? Look in the mirror.

Cody was a solid recruit. Remember, he was an Elite 11 QB. He was a straight-up winner in HS. But like many college QB's, his career has been up and down. At times, he could have started for many Big XII teams. Other times not.
He wasn't a bad option at the time imo.

Tebow's TD run at the end of the game tonight looked just like Cody's at the end of the Toledo game. And mattered about as much.

So you can have another thing to bitch about and also another reason for you to prop yourself as a better fan.

All you Cody lovers still haven't said which Big 12 team he would start on. Well, make it easier on you. Which Big 12 team would have even recruited him? Oh, but he's a good guy! He represents the university well! Gee, if that is all that mattered then everything would be hunky dory! Fact of the matter is that the only reason he's at Colorado is that the old man is the head coach. And I bet that no coach in college football history has ever fronted his kid like Squawk. Hawk is shameless in pursuing his kid's interest and neither he or his son belong in the Big 12.

All you Cody lovers still haven't said which Big 12 team he would start on. Well, make it easier on you. Which Big 12 team would have even recruited him? Oh, but he's a good guy! He represents the university well! Gee, if that is all that mattered then everything would be hunky dory! Fact of the matter is that the only reason he's at Colorado is that the old man is the head coach. And I bet that no coach in college football history has ever fronted his kid like Squawk. Hawk is shameless in pursuing his kid's interest and neither he or his son belong in the Big 12.
What the hell are you talking about?

Cody Hawkins is a ****ty QB....period. May be a nice guy....may work extra hard but he is still a ****ty QB...he is short....he is slow...he can't throw the long ball. Fact is Cody Hawkins sucks as a Div 1 QB. He would have been better off trying to play at a Div III school where the competition was more closely aligned. No apologies for stating the facts DBT...Cody sucks as a QB and hid father sucks as a coach.

Cody Hawkins is a ****ty QB....period. May be a nice guy....may work extra hard but he is still a ****ty QB...he is short....he is slow...he can't throw the long ball. Fact is Cody Hawkins sucks as a Div 1 QB. He would have been better off trying to play at a Div III school where the competition was more closely aligned. No apologies for stating the facts DBT...Cody sucks as a QB and hid father sucks as a coach.

Sometimes I secretly suspect that DBT hates Cody. Why else start a thread like this which will ultimately descend to this depth?

Cody is shorter than ideal. He isn't quick. His release is slow and he doesn't have a lot of zip on the ball.

However, he knows the playbook, he's respected by his teammates (from what I understand) and given time, he can be extremely accurate. He's a good kid that doesn't deserve "sucks" associated with his performance, or "****ty" for that matter. Otherwise your critical analysis is appropriate, IMO.

@DBT - Neg rep is an effective way to call out any of these so-called Cody bashers.

Painting the board with such a broad brush is cowardly disingenuous move.

If you have got a beef, call them out.

Anything less than that comes across as a conscious choice to stir the pot.

Why are you picking fights DBT? This isn't an issue with 99% of the posters here. How about you just PM them?

Bull__it!

Let me enlighten you. A winner at some "stacked" HS in Idaho is not that impressive. Oh yes, Cody's HS has more players on the CU roster than you would expect.

Which Big XII school could he have started for?

The elite 11 is 11 qb's selected that are voted on by a group of qb coaches at various locations. A 12th qb was selected by the founder of Elite 11. That 12th qb was Cody. The founder of Elite 11 is Bob Johnson.

If you follow CU's recruiting you would find more than a few of Johnson's players and pupils on CU's roster.

It's the dirty little secret of College football. It's not so much what you know as who you know.

If any other coach was here Cody would have been gone, transfered or been lost on the depth chart.

Bottom line:

Spin Machine in warp drive. It's not only here by the way.

Last edited:
Back