What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why all the Cody bashing?

I was glad when Cody chose CU, especially after watching the QB play in Hawk's 1st year. Never thought his career would play out the way it has. Going somewhere else would have been a lot easier on him and I wouldn't have blamed him for transferring after all the criticism he's gotten here, but good for him for sticking it through. I feel bad for the kid that he has to read stuff like this about him, but I guess this will be good practice for how to handle criticism if he does decide to coach someday.

The issues of "how he has been treated" are secondary to the fact that he isn't talented enough to be playing at this level. What it boils down to is that the most significant aspect of "how he has been treated" is that he got a ton of playing time here that he would not have gotten at other major programs.

To turn the kid into a victim is ridiculous to me. Athletes at this level are subject to analysis of their performance. Could he have gone to other schools and not been criticized like he has here? Absolutely. Why? Because he wouldn't have been playing.

The reaction of CU fans to Hawkins, particularly when you consider his relationship to the coach, is pretty typical of what he would have seen at other schools. In fact, an argument could easily be made that he would have gotten a whole lot more criticism at schools that take their football more seriously than we do here.

Bulls**t. The biggest criticisms of Cody are completely out of his control:

1. He's not athletic or talented enough to play at this level.
He can't make himself taller, or develop a rocket arm. He didn't give himself a scholarship to play QB at the BCS level.

2. He's not as good as Tyler and shouldn't be playing at all. Not his fault, he's not the coach.
He's not checking himself into the game or designing the offense to suit his game. He didn't pull Tyler's redshirt mid-season...twice.

I could understand the criticism of Cody if he was lazy, didn't work hard, tried to undermine Tyler, wasn't a good teamate, came into games unprepared, but by all accounts he has busted his ass and been a great teamate his entire time at CU and tried to make the most of his physical abilities. Be mad at Hawk for his decision to bring him here, or for the ongoing "QB battle" or for his inability to recruit viable challengers to Cody, or for running guys off (if you believe that).

I've never seen a kid get more criticism for things completely out of his control than Cody. The upsetness is misplaced IMO.

Last edited:
ESPN did a special on the best QBs in the Pac 10. The top four, Jake Locker, Andrew Luck, Matt Barkely, and Nick Foles, will most likely be first round draft picks. Foles who is 6'5" looks like he could be the best of the bunch. Mitch Mustain who is having a great camp is sitting on the bench. Going into the Pac 12, the next coach has to be able to recruit QBs like this to compete.

As far as the Elite 11, picking Cody has in the long run hurt their brand. Putting the Elite 11 tag on CH was like false and misleading advertising.

It is unfair to CH, but whatever happens, the criticism directed at DH splatters on CH. Bashing to me is using terms like ****ty and the like. Pointing out where a player is not getting it done is part of the landscape IMO. All these guys want to play D1 ball in a BCS conference, or they would not be here. You can't have the TV appearaces and all the trappings of big boy FB and not expect to be held to a performance standard...and hear about it from the fans when you don't meet that standard.

I agree it is different than the pros, but it isn't little league or HS either. As a general rule, I don't boo at the games. I do speak my mind on BBS...and I try to be civil about it. But if you want me to take time out of my schedule, pay near NFL prices for tix and gear, pay for concessions that are just as crappy and expensive as they are in the NFL and grin when the team gets their head handed to them repeatedly by podunk U, you are looking at the wrong guy. I'm not going to call players names, but I have no problem saying this has been a pretty poor run for the Buffs over the last four years...and for me that starts at the top. DH has not gotten it done.

All you Cody lovers still haven't said which Big 12 team he would start on. Well, make it easier on you. Which Big 12 team would have even recruited him?

Whatever Cody has done or not done since he got here, suggesting that he wasn't worth even being considered by a Big XII school at the time is pure, revisionist history.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/colorado/fo...wkins-38417;_ylt=AssTr7gpTTdMBx8b3EZYJK29rZB4

True. Oregon also offered. The Buffs weren't the only BCS school interested.

Scout had his offer list as: Colorado, Boise State, BYU, Oregon and Wisconsin.

Had him as their #21 QB. And they had him pegged pretty well. Strengths were Accuracy, Decision-Making, Poise and Leadership. Weaknesses were Arm Strength and Size.

Anyway, I'd say that Cody has had his moments as the CU quarterback. He has certainly shown that he is a D1 quarterback. Probably best suited to a spread offense where he would be able to scan the field before the play, have a lot of throwing lanes, and have a premium placed on short, accurate passes. But I do believe that if something would happen to Hansen that Cody gives us enough that he could come in and play well enough to get us wins.

Former Mullen qb, from a few years back, was the Rivals 17th ranked qb coming out of Mullen and "claimed" several D1 programs offered.

For the out of the loop. Offers can be extended but that doesn't mean they were real offers either.

That qb went to a BCS school where his dad coaches. Left after 1 year and is now at Tennessee Tech and by the way the coach at TT is the brother of Mack Brown who the qb's dad used to work for. Big drop off for #17.

So don't try to make your point with offers and what is said on rivals or scout. Spin machines in "warp drive" are in fact real.

Like I said, this doesn't just happen in Boulder.

Last edited:
So don't try to make your point with offers and what is said on rivals or scout. Spin machines in "warp drive" is the real case.

What would you have people use in order to make their case, then?

What are you using to make your case other than your opinion?

Seems to me that you're throwing out your opinion as if it's fact and then saying that references that others are using to justify their opinions are bogus because... well, I guess because those sources don't agree with your opinion.

For the record, I completely agree that the scouting services sometimes get evaluations wrong and that offer lists are suspicious because the schools themselves aren't allowed to comment. The lists come from the recruits and their coaches, so there's a vested interest in reporting an impressive offer list. Sometimes there's confusion, too, between a committable offer and a recruiter making a comment like "we'd love to have you at dear ole U". Especially if the prospect or his coaches aren't very knowledgeable about the recruiting game.

But none of the things that cause over-inflated reporting of offers would seem to apply to Cody. He played for a powerhouse program in Idaho, he and his family were about as familiar with the recruiting game as anyone would ever be, and he was clearly going to play for his dad (whether at Boise or CU) so there wasn't motivation to grab a bunch of other offers. I think the Rivals and Scout lists are probably pretty legit in this case.

What would you have people use in order to make their case, then?

What are you using to make your case other than your opinion?

Seems to me that you're throwing out your opinion as if it's fact and then saying that references that others are using to justify their opinions are bogus because... well, I guess because those sources don't agree with your opinion.

For the record, I completely agree that the scouting services sometimes get evaluations wrong and that offer lists are suspicious because the schools themselves aren't allowed to comment. The lists come from the recruits and their coaches, so there's a vested interest in reporting an impressive offer list. Sometimes there's confusion, too, between a committable offer and a recruiter making a comment like "we'd love to have you at dear ole U". Especially if the prospect or his coaches aren't very knowledgeable about the recruiting game.

But none of the things that cause over-inflated reporting of offers would seem to apply to Cody. He played for a powerhouse program in Idaho, he and his family were about as familiar with the recruiting game as anyone would ever be, and he was clearly going to play for his dad (whether at Boise or CU) so there wasn't motivation to grab a bunch of other offers. I think the Rivals and Scout lists are probably pretty legit in this case.

Palo Alto NIKE Training Camp

5'10"160Boise, IDBishop Kelly4.91 40 4.72 shuttle N/A 24.00 vertical

• Pro-style quarterback
  • Boise, Idaho
  • Bishop Kelly
  • Class: 2006 (High School)
Other events: College ChoicesSchoolInterestOfferVisitColoradocommitted Yes1/20/2006 Boise StateC Yes1/13/2006 Brigham YoungC Nonone IowaC Nonone

Is there anything in this profile that suggests "Stud qb"? He was offered at Boise and CU.

Cody's best asset is his last name. To suggest otherwise is a suspension of reality.

Last edited:
Palo Alto NIKE Training Camp

5'10"160Boise, IDBishop Kelly4.91 40 4.72 shuttle N/A 24.00 vertical

• Pro-style quarterback
  • Boise, Idaho
  • Bishop Kelly
  • Class: 2006 (High School)
Other events: College ChoicesSchoolInterestOfferVisitColoradocommitted Yes1/20/2006 Boise StateC Yes1/13/2006 Brigham YoungC Nonone IowaC Nonone

Is there anything in this profile that suggests "Stud qb"? He was offered at Boise and CU.

Cody's best asset is his last name. To suggest otherwise is a suspension of reality.

fwiw, you quoted his stats from the 2004 Palo Alto camp. http://rivals.yahoo.com/MichiganState/football/recruiting/event-14?prospect_id=38417

At the 2005 camp prior to his senior year, Cody came in as follows:

Palo Alto, CA
May 21, 2005
Event Data

Height: 5-foot-11
Weight: 176 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.94 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.44
Vertical leap: 25.7"

http://rivals100.rivals.com/cpEvent.asp?Key=8695

And you're absolutely right that Rivals didn't report the BYU or Wisconsin offers that Scout did (no one reported anything more than interest from Iowa). But Rivals also reported an Oregon offer that didn't show on the Scout site.

I never called Cody a "stud QB". Did anyone? The point people have been trying to make is that he is a legit D1 quarterback who would have had scholarship options regardless of whether he chose to play for his dad. My impression is that you believe that Cody is not a D1 quarterback, never projected as one, and would have been lucky to get an offer from Eastern Washington if it weren't for the family name and connections. Doesn't seem like there's any changing your mind on that one, so why don't we just drop this?

fwiw, you quoted his stats from the 2004 Palo Alto camp. http://rivals.yahoo.com/MichiganState/football/recruiting/event-14?prospect_id=38417

At the 2005 camp prior to his senior year, Cody came in as follows:

Palo Alto, CA
May 21, 2005
Event Data

Height: 5-foot-11
Weight: 176 pounds
40-yard dash: 4.94 seconds
Shuttle speed: 4.44
Vertical leap: 25.7"

http://rivals100.rivals.com/cpEvent.asp?Key=8695

And you're absolutely right that Rivals didn't report the BYU or Wisconsin offers that Scout did (no one reported anything more than interest from Iowa). But Rivals also reported an Oregon offer that didn't show on the Scout site.

I never called Cody a "stud QB". Did anyone? The point people have been trying to make is that he is a legit D1 quarterback who would have had scholarship options regardless of whether he chose to play for his dad. My impression is that you believe that Cody is not a D1 quarterback, never projected as one, and would have been lucky to get an offer from Eastern Washington if it weren't for the family name and connections. Doesn't seem like there's any changing your mind on that one, so why don't we just drop this?

The Mullen HS qb of 2009 had similar size, speed, team success and stats and he's 5th string at Northern Colorado.

Why isn't he a Big XII qb?

Last edited:
Cody was effective as a redshirt Freshman, and the Buffs had some good wins that year. After he was thoroughly scouted, it became very obvious how to defend against him. It hasn't helped that the line has been young and ineffective and the running game lacking. I hope only to see him in mop up duty, but for one season he played pretty well.

The coaching profession is incestuous and it is no coincidence that the only schools interested in him had ties to his old man. Even if he landed at Oregon, BYU, Wisconsin (Please), he never would have seen the field. And the only reason Cody saw the field at CU was because his old man ran off Brian White the year before.

Bulls**t. The biggest criticisms of Cody are completely out of his control:

1. He's not athletic or talented enough to play at this level.
He can't make himself taller, or develop a rocket arm. He didn't give himself a scholarship to play QB at the BCS level.

2. He's not as good as Tyler and shouldn't be playing at all. Not his fault, he's not the coach.
He's not checking himself into the game or designing the offense to suit his game. He didn't pull Tyler's redshirt mid-season...twice.

I could understand the criticism of Cody if he was lazy, didn't work hard, tried to undermine Tyler, wasn't a good teamate, came into games unprepared, but by all accounts he has busted his ass and been a great teamate his entire time at CU and tried to make the most of his physical abilities. Be mad at Hawk for his decision to bring him here, or for the ongoing "QB battle" or for his inability to recruit viable challengers to Cody, or for running guys off (if you believe that).

I've never seen a kid get more criticism for things completely out of his control than Cody. The upsetness is misplaced IMO.

This is the right answer!!

Cody is another kid who didn't quite develop at the college level like a lot of people expected him to, rosters throughout college football are filled with these guys, look a Notre Dame the last few years with a bunch of four and five star guys who didn't develop.

Sink is completely correct in that Cody shouldn't be held responsible for his coach's/dad's decisions. All Cody has ever done as a Buff is go out and give it everything he has for his teammates, the fact that this unfortunately has often not been enough isn't his fault. It is the fault of the head coach who didn't find and develop someone else better and give him the opportunity.

Second point is that Cody is clearly not a starting BCS level QB, at a mid-major the story may be a little different, who knows. What he is however is still a very good guy to have as a backup and a positive member of the team. I can't name many places where he would be the starter but I can assure you that a lot of top programs would not mind having a guy who with little attention paid to him during the week can come in at a moments notice, know and run the offense, be a leader, and give his team a decent chance to win a game in which the starter has gone down.

Do we bash on other back-ups because they haven't developed into starters or stars? If Cody does something that is his choice that embarasses the program, criticize him. If he goes out and gives his all and just isn't good enough, don't blame him for decisions and frustrations that are his dad's fault.

The coaching profession is incestuous and it is no coincidence that the only schools interested in him had ties to his old man. Even if he landed at Oregon, BYU, Wisconsin (Please), he never would have seen the field. And the only reason Cody saw the field at CU was because his old man ran off Brian White the year before.
Nobody ran off Brian White. I don't care too much for Hawk at the moment either, but let's try not to start making **** up.

SmackRoom Bound & Down?
images

Why all the bashing on DBT posting threads on all the Cody bashing?

I'm just sick of it. It really paints us message board posters as a bunch of idots. It really does. I know This might be the 10th thread on the subject in the last month, but the old man has sacrificed SO MUCH by coming here. It hasn't worked out and that really bums me out.

We are such a bunch of hypocrites. When ALLBUFFS started and DBT committed, we were so pumped up. Everyone on this board was elated. Now, the same things may have been posted 20,000 times up to this point but there seems to be no end to the bashing DBT threads on Cody bashing. I'm embarrassed. I have nothing but respect for him and when no one can post another thread, I have a ton of faith that he will get it done. Remember, he came in when Colorado was granted statehood and marched us right down the forum for another thread. I have NO DOUBT that he can get it done if need be.​

if you check *underneath* the plaque at Settler's Park in Boulder, there are 3 initials carved into the rock.

LA, truer words have never been spoken on this board.:thumbsup:

It's not really beating a dead horse at this point. I'm sure the corpse has totally decomposed by now. Are we beating the dirt that used to be the horse?

Holy **** I just realized that Cody is Dan's son.

I'm still not sure if Jonathan is though. I don't think he plays enough to be.

Holy **** I just realized that Cody is Dan's son.

I'm still not sure if Jonathan is though. I don't think he plays enough to be.

I don't know, man. Jonathan is listed behind Jimmy Smith on the Right Cornerback depth chart, but Coach Hawkins hasn't named Jimmy the starter yet. Eerily similar to the QB situation. Pretty obvious that Dan's looking for an excuse to start Jonathan over Jimmy and isn't getting Jimmy enough reps to be successful this year. He's also undermining Jimmy's confidence and screwing with CSU since they won't know which CB to gameplan for.

I'm now 100% certain that Jonathan is Dan's son.

I don't know, man. Jonathan is listed behind Jimmy Smith on the Right Cornerback depth chart, but Coach Hawkins hasn't named Jimmy the starter yet. Eerily similar to the QB situation. Pretty obvious that Dan's looking for an excuse to start Jonathan over Jimmy and isn't getting Jimmy enough reps to be successful this year. He's also undermining Jimmy's confidence and screwing with CSU since they won't know which CB to gameplan for.

I'm now 100% certain that Jonathan is Dan's son.
Cody and Jonathon, brothers from a different mother?

Meant ENTIRELY as a joke, in no way do I think this is true.

Back