1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are we only going to sign 18-19 players?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Sportsfan101, Jan 29, 2010.

1. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

I remember us being low on scholarship players LAST YEAR. Now, I hear we're only going to sign 18-19 players? At some point we just need bodies -- and while I understand that we're recruiting extremely poorly this year, at some point we need bodies. Why is it that other programs ROUTINELY sign 24-26 players, and we're usually well below that? Is this a $$$ issue?

2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

beacuse we are going to redshirt them all and work the "we're young" angle so that in 2015 we have a team full of 25 year old killers.

3. LongHaulBuff

LongHaulBuff Club Member Club Member

Where did you "hear" this??

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

We have 63 football players under scholarship. No way we only sign 18 or 19. The number is probably going to be 21 with a transfer addition at the end of the spring plus Luke Walters being put on scholarship. There also may be a grayshirt or two added to the mix.

5. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

Who else would you like them to sign? The current class is ranked around 70th in the nation with around 18 commits. Sure Hawkins could hand out some additional offers, but it's not like there are any 4 or 5* guys out there saying I would go to CU if they would just offer me. Why hand out any more offers to people that are not being looked at by any other D1 school. Hawkins would rather bank the open scholarships and hand them out to every walk-on that remembers his lunch pail during spring practice.

6. wst coast

wst coast Member

sad when your not limited by the scholarsip limit but by thew fact you can't find 85 players worth having in your football program. freakin disgusting

JimmyBuff likes this.
  7. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Because our Head Coach is a ****ing MORON....

8. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

Wait till we get closer to Wed. We will see who and how many get signed. I am not buying the 18 or 19

9. jpbuff

jpbuff Active Member

Maybe they use this as a recruiting carrot for the prefered walk-on kids. If you entice them with the possiblity of getting put on scholarship you have to leave room for this. If your up against the 85 limit these kids may not come to Boulder.Just trying to get inside Hawk's head. Now that is a scary thought.

10. Bienemy4life

Bienemy4life Member

:yeahthat:

11. Buffnik

Exactly. This thread is stupid. It's like if I posted a thread titled, "Why are we only going to have 8 assistant coaches next season?". It's untrue, we'll have 9 just as the NCAA allows and we do every year. But I guarantee that people would post in that thread as if it were true and use it as an excuse to bash Hawkins. We've got enough problems without making stuff up.

12. Sportsfan101

Sportsfan101 Active Member

This post isn't dumb -- I don't understand why other teams routinely sign 25 plus players every year and we never seem to do so. We may sign 20 or 21 kids, but that's still not enough given our depth / number issues last year and the fact that the top teams are continually signing (and even over-signing) kids.

13. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

We need to save room for walkons to power our walkon army that is sure to take the Big 12 and indeed the nation by STORM.

14. bombay

bombay Club Member Club Member

Looking forward to seeing the new guys in black and gold.

The sobbing is pathetic.

15. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

This.

He has a consistent pattern of undersigning. Why change it now?

16. Buffsoldier

Buffsoldier Well-Known Member

C'mon guys. It's obvious that he's trying to prepare the kids....all the kids....for the NFL. He's doing it by slowly reducing the roster to the 53 man limit that the NFL uses.

17. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Looking at the silver lining, this QB class is the best on paper since the Buffs signed Ochs. It's the most important position on the field and I really like what we've got in Nick and Munchie.

18. Buffarino

Buffarino Math - how does it work? Club Member

I definitely agree with that, assuming Munchie signs and qualifies.

19. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Is he a questionable qualifier? I thought he was pretty good to go except the whole visiting other schools thing and saying he'll announce where he's going on signing day.

20. Buffnik

We have 63 guys under scholarship.

We're looking at 21 or 22.

We're looking at a couple grayshirt signees who would raise that number but wouldn't be on the team until spring of next year.

We're looking at granting a scholarship to Luke Walters so he comes back for a 6th year and gives us experienced TE depth.

We're looking at accepting a transfer from former Michigan WR Zion Babb this summer.

Beyond that, I really don't know what you guys want?

And the reason we were under last season was an intentional shortage in numbers so we could take the APR penalty early (could be as many as 6 scholarships lost that now won't effect our numbers in 2010).

21. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Some quality DL and a class that is actually Big 12 caliber. A bunch of sleepers and diamonds in the rough isn't going to cut it..

22. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

I agree, just like posting names of recruits we have no chance in hell of getting on recruiting forum:)

23. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

ehem allow me...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

I was also wondering why we were looking at a class of only 18 or 19 signee's, but this really helps. So we only had room for 22 new scholarship players, right? Therefore the difference is partially made up by Walters and the Michigan transfer, which only leaves 1 or 2 unused scholarships, and hopefully we can fill those.

25. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

I'll point out for the record that we now do have 21 commits, and are still expected to give a ship to a transfer and Walters (as Buffnik predicted). It looks like 1 grayshirt for an AZ OT is also possible. Several PWO candidates appear "committed" as well. The signing of only 18 lasted, what, a day and a half. :smile:

26. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

How is CSU ranked a spot higher, per Rivals? Crazyness

27. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

Pretty much says it all....FAIL