What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why did SHT leave early?

So why'd Shane leave?

• 100% his decision

Votes: 22 35.5%
  • He was nudged out, but still agreed to on his own.

Votes: 31 50.0%
  • His hand was forced.

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Hankerin' for some more shrimp on the barbie.

Votes: 8 12.9%

• Total voters
Couldn't disagree more. It makes a lot more sense for him to stay (unless he just hates being away from Australia). Which is why valid questions were raised. Sounds like there are probably valid answers to those questions.

Gotta love Buffenuf calling someone else a troll.

It looks like Shane is the one disagreeing with you. He's going to start his career, whether that's pro ball in Australia or in a non basketball field. In an ideal world, money never matters, and you can make decisions according to what makes you happiest. But reality is life and since we don't know his situation, the most likely scenario is he graduated, and is going to start a career. Not our place to tell him that's right or wrong.

from the average to most loyal fan.. SHT's decision may not make sense, but the reality is they play, lift, practice, miss school, friends, make up homework... june through april. Also I'm sure he's a pretty desirable player in his homeland... and to get paid, and not have to goto school, that's a no brainer, it's not like the extra year would get him closer to the NBA, or maybe it does, but he wants to go home... he's has and will have played in 2 P12 tourneys, won1, been to the NIT and an NCAA last year, and w/ a little common sense from the NCAA, he'll play again this month...not too shabby of a career....good luck to what ever endeavors you pursue.. it was great having you as a Buff!!!

It looks like Shane is the one disagreeing with you. He's going to start his career, whether that's pro ball in Australia or in a non basketball field. In an ideal world, money never matters, and you can make decisions according to what makes you happiest. But reality is life and since we don't know his situation, the most likely scenario is he graduated, and is going to start a career. Not our place to tell him that's right or wrong.

I've never expressed anything but good wishes for SHT. I'd like you to show me where I said what he is doing is wrong. If it is what he wants to do, good for him.

There wasn't a cut and dried case for him to leave. In fact, I think the facts show it was the other way around. Which is why questions arose about whether he was encouraged to leave. Which questions seem to have now been answered. We should all just wish Shane the very best of luck and close the thread.

azbuff, I think your perception of 4th year students is a little off. Most that I talk to can't wait to graduate and get on with their lives. It's when I talk to people who graduated several years earlier that I hear, "WTF was I thinking? I should have enjoyed another semester or two of college."

I can personally remember wanting to be done. At the time, I didn't realize that I'd never again be in a situation where I had very few responsibilities while surrounded by thousands of single women who partied too much and were trying to expand their horizons. The real world is a rude awakening.

azbuff, I think your perception of 4th year students is a little off. Most that I talk to can't wait to graduate and get on with their lives. It's when I talk to people who graduated several years earlier that I hear, "WTF was I thinking? I should have enjoyed another semester or two of college."

I can personally remember wanting to be done. At the time, I didn't realize that I'd never again be in a situation where I had very few responsibilities while surrounded by thousands of single women who partied too much and were trying to expand their horizons. The real world is a rude awakening.

I was in that boat during my victory lap. I was tired of being poor, late night homework and cram sessions, TA's that didn't speak English, roommates, and a general lack of privacy. Took 1 month of working and I was perusing the web for CU graduate school info.

Excellent point. Same feeling for me in law school, couldn't wait to get out and make that "real" money (I was a sucker and didn't realize all that money was going to pay off the student loans I just racked up). I think where the athletics comes in is where I start to differ on what my decision would have been. How many Russell Wilsons do we see playing a fifth year of athletics someplace other than where they started? How many fifth years on the football team that have no chance of going pro?

Excellent point. Same feeling for me in law school, couldn't wait to get out and make that "real" money (I was a sucker and didn't realize all that money was going to pay off the student loans I just racked up). I think where the athletics comes in is where I start to differ on what my decision would have been. How many Russell Wilsons do we see playing a fifth year of athletics someplace other than where they started? How many fifth years on the football team that have no chance of going pro?

Most of those 5th year football guys are done at the end of the fall semester after taking Ball Room Dancing 101 for their course load. Basketball is a full year commitment that also requires doing enough in the fall to be eligible in the spring.

Most of those 5th year football guys are done at the end of the fall semester after taking Ball Room Dancing 101 for their course load. Basketball is a full year commitment that also requires doing enough in the fall to be eligible in the spring.

I get what you're saying, but I'd like to see some other examples of this where the guy wasn't just pushed out. I have been convinced that wasn't the case here, but what I am saying is the circumstances warrant the questions that were asked. That's it.

I was in that boat during my victory lap. I was tired of being poor, late night homework and cram sessions, TA's that didn't speak English, roommates, and a general lack of privacy. Took 1 month of working and I was perusing the web for CU graduate school info.

This.

I wish I could go back and kick my own ass.

I get what you're saying, but I'd like to see some other examples of this where the guy wasn't just pushed out. I have been convinced that wasn't the case here, but what I am saying is the circumstances warrant the questions that were asked. That's it.

I agree. It was a good discussion. But when Trey and some others responded, it was time to accept the public story as truth and move on. Not everyone did.

I agree. It was a good discussion. But when Trey and some others responded, it was time to accept the public story as truth and move on. Not everyone did.

ok, i guess i'm a sucker for over analyzing... now I did ask him point blank about his decision, and he was crystal clear and quite happy about it.... but let's say the converse... he was pushed out... why would a cut throat coaching staff pick this time period to push a valuble player out when we need our big's more than ever going into the tourneys as opposed to just telling him after the season and tourneys are done?

ok, i guess i'm a sucker for over analyzing... now I did ask him point blank about his decision, and he was crystal clear and quite happy about it.... but let's say the converse... he was pushed out... why would a cut throat coaching staff pick this time period to push a valuble player out when we need our big's more than ever going into the tourneys as opposed to just telling him after the season and tourneys are done?

A staff like that wouldn't. It wouldn't care about mom coming into town from the other side of the planet for a nice senior day weekend. It would simply string everyone along because players are nothing than assets on a spreadsheet to a staff like that and they wouldn't part with an asset until they absolutely knew they could acquire a better-performing asset.

Not knowing the particulars, that's why I always assumed that this was Shane's decision. It didn't make sense to me the other way.

So.......you admit you're just trolling, eh? As nik put it well, there's no "issue" there! Kid makes a decision as to his future, after a whole year of speculation (which you alone apparently missed) and now you want a debate about the coach?

Trolling, trolling........"What's the frequency, kenneth?"
I need to adjust my tinfoil hat!

Where am I, the politics board? How the hell did you jump to that conclusion? Of course, we all know on the internet not to feed the trolls, and based on that large amount of red next to your name, I probably shouldn't respond, but against my better judgment, I did.

But as someone else in this thread noted, a guy like you calling someone a troll probably registers as a 7 out of 10 on the unintentional comedy scale.

NBDefektor - It's not that it's being talked about. It is that we have. A lot. We've been talking for over a year about how many scholarship openings we'd have for this 2013 class and how Tad was going to get there. The same conversation about 2014 has also started. At a certain point, though, some of the questions on this stuff become "asked and answered". Continuing to push starts coming across as someone being a contrarian who's just stirring the pot and it makes me wonder about whether there's an underlying anti-Boyle motivation to it. That, or the simple hard-headedness of someone who formed an opinion based on assumptions and deduction - then needs a much higher standard of evidence to change that opinion than was needed to form the original opinion.

First, those of us not privy to secret message boards that cost a little over 4 cents a day over the course of a year (I did the math) aren't aware that SHT was perhaps leaving us all the way back in mid-2012. I did mention in my response to shang that as I got the answer, it seems this debate is mostly finished. If I have a bigger issue, it's only that I feel the minority view on AB--especially if it's critical--generally gets ignored or flamed. I just want the healthy debates is all.

Second, there's no "anti-Boyle motivation" from me. Who would possibly want Boyle to fail here? My name isn't Ricardo or Jeff. Tad's done wonders for our program, I just don't believe he's infallible and debating his strategies and choices, both on and off the court here on AB should be encouraged, not dismissed. So let's not be silly and say there's an anti-Tad agenda coming from me merely for asking the questions I did. I just want the honest answers and healthy debate.

Just because the official announcement came yesterday doesn't mean that's when the decision was made. The information has been out there for a couple of months.

Question Tad all you want, but when you've got information from multiple sources telling you what happened, its probably time to drop the argument. Even though it doesn't fit with your conspiracy theory, that doesn't mean it's not true.

Again, this is an example of what is normal here on AB. I bring up a valid question that others on here have said they appreciate and people believe I have hidden agendas or conspiracy theories. If you want to just back CU 100% all the time, go ask Plati, Bronson Hilliard, or the CU cheerleading squad for a job, right?

Anyway, back on point, thanks again shang for the updates and actually getting to the bottom of this! Can't say I blame SHT for wanting to go back to Oz. I sure do miss the Sheilas over there!

While my first reaction to the thread was anger (i.e. disrespect to TB), in hindsight, I appreciate the dialogue and points raised by NBDefector in this thread. I think he has some good points that the minority opinion is often bashed and that we are very quick to bandwagon and band together like bullies! Appreciate your contribution in this thread as it was coherent and interesting to read (even if I disagreed with hit having the benefit of some info)!

Just remember, there was a lot of smart guys on this board a year ago who had convinced themselves that Connor Wood was the CU savior, despite absolutely no evidence to support that! 6 wins no problem since we play first year coaches at UCLA, AZ, and ASU! Embree has it flowing! Go Buffs!

$.04 a day? Come on guys!

Where am I, the politics board? How the hell did you jump to that conclusion? Of course, we all know on the internet not to feed the trolls, and based on that large amount of red next to your name, I probably shouldn't respond, but against my better judgment, I did.

But as someone else in this thread noted, a guy like you calling someone a troll probably registers as a 7 out of 10 on the unintentional comedy scale.

First, those of us not privy to secret message boards that cost a little over 4 cents a day over the course of a year (I did the math) aren't aware that SHT was perhaps leaving us all the way back in mid-2012. I did mention in my response to shang that as I got the answer, it seems this debate is mostly finished. If I have a bigger issue, it's only that I feel the minority view on AB--especially if it's critical--generally gets ignored or flamed. I just want the healthy debates is all.

Second, there's no "anti-Boyle motivation" from me. Who would possibly want Boyle to fail here? My name isn't Ricardo or Jeff. Tad's done wonders for our program, I just don't believe he's infallible and debating his strategies and choices, both on and off the court here on AB should be encouraged, not dismissed. So let's not be silly and say there's an anti-Tad agenda coming from me merely for asking the questions I did. I just want the honest answers and healthy debate.

Again, this is an example of what is normal here on AB. I bring up a valid question that others on here have said they appreciate and people believe I have hidden agendas or conspiracy theories. If you want to just back CU 100% all the time, go ask Plati, Bronson Hilliard, or the CU cheerleading squad for a job, right?

Anyway, back on point, thanks again shang for the updates and actually getting to the bottom of this! Can't say I blame SHT for wanting to go back to Oz. I sure do miss the Sheilas over there!
I never had an issue with the original post, but it started to feel like, when presented with evidence to the contrary, you were sticking with your view of things. And, not that it really matters, but I wasn't defending Tad so much as Shane. I don't think it's fair to him to have the perception of being cut from the team because he didn't make the grade. Anyway, it seems like it's a non-issue at this point and it's time to look forward to the P12 tourney.

...... and that we are very quick to bandwagon and band together like bullies!.....!

NO! Not on Allbuffs!

Nothing like that ever happens here! Our wonderful and wise founders/mods, would never allow such a thing to happen!

Yeah, right!

Well if college basketball players aren't too much different than the typical college student I completely concur. I was excited to graduate and move on with my life. I didn't realize how hard it would be to get a job, have "adult" responsibilities I didn't have, etc. I'm 27 and I'm still searching for some answers that I thought would be solved by this point in my life. I remember thinking when my cousin was my age (I'm 5 years younger), why is he waiting tables in addition to his regular job after all he is a smart guy with a Michigan degree. But come to think of it, those sentiments were pretty dumb and naive on my part. Hindsight is 20/20 and there's definitely things if I could do it over again, I'd do differently. Whatever, gotta live life in the present...

I have a very hard time believing the decision was 100% his own. Who knows what college kids are thinking, though. I'm 35 and can't figure life out, but I know if I had the opportunity to come back on a relatively loaded college basketball team at CU for a final year, I'm gonna do it. Even if the Aussie pro leagues beckon.

The flip-side of this - if SHT was politely encouraged to move on - why nudge SHT out of the program instead of Mills? Definitely paints a picture of 100% SHT's decision.

I'm still 8 years away, but I hear you. You can run for President atleast.

I think the grass is always greener on the other side so to speak - excuse my cliche. I think we look at as this amazing experience and it is. But when they are doing it, day in/day out, it's not as "cool" for them as it is for us. I'm sure most of them appreciate the experience, but it's part of their life.

Rumor has it that Tad tied Shane to a chair, taped his eyes opened, and then forced him to watch his son dance (mop included) until he agreed to leave the team. Shane reportedly did not resist for long. Mills and Stalzer should watch their backs.

Back