1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why didn't the AD raise ticket prices?

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by RumblinBuff, Oct 19, 2012.

1. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

It seems like it would've made sense to boost prices. A modest 10-20% increase would've been widely accepted in the wake of the program's first conference title in 40 years, and with a top-25 recruiting class coming in.

However, I think I might've figured out why the AD held off. How many new season tickets do you think will be sold this year? 500? 1,000? 2,000? Whatever the number, I bet that far outweighs the potential gain from simply raising prices. By not raising prices, the value still looks ridiculously high to prospective buyers, and good-will is engendered amongst those current holders who've stuck with the program for so long. The AD looks good, they're still increasing revenue, and the program keeps winning... everyone's happy.

Like a crack dealer or a credit card company, get 'em in at a low rate, then jack it up when they can't stand to lose the product.

2. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

WHAT?!?!?! You mean the CUAD is not as dumb as so many people on this site think they are? You, sir, are out of your mind.

:ban:

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Paying $85 for an entire season of basketball is an unbelievable deal, IMO. Especially with the kind of teams we'll see here this year. And I'm not even sitting in the corner or the end. I'm between mid court and the foul line.

4. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Court side is only $450 including the donation. That's like 25 bucks a game for the best seat in the house. You can hardly find the worst Nuggets seat for that.

5. WizzersGhost

WizzersGhost Banned BANNED

All in good time, my pretty! All in good time!

Sign Tad to a long term contract with PAC-12 dinero, after this season, which should be very good (but not yet great) as well as enhanced by just plain PAC TV exposure and next year you can raise prices 10-20% and still be a terrific deal for the average fan!

You gotta remember: "If it ain't on TeeVee, it don't exist" is a mantra for far too many average Cletuses!

6. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

because there is still supply to give out. I bet next year (assuming all goes well) we see a decent bump in prices.

7. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

I think the AD is in a position right now they can afford to wait a year or two to bump prices and with the ever increasing support for the team those cheap prices will encourage and build a rabid fan base I believe. Games at the Keg will probably be insane this year as it is, but if we can make it into the dance again... tickets are going to get extremely scarce for next season

8. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

I don't think that is right. I know the donation alone is $1000 and I thought the cost of the seats was $1100, so $2100 total.

9. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

I think Nik is wrong as well. 450 is for the first 10 rows between the baskets. (no donation necessary). Courtside is different.

10. Goose

Goose Hoops Moderator Club Member Junta Member

For some strange reason, CU calls the first 10 rows "courtside".

11. BuffaloSoldier76

BuffaloSoldier76 Unsound Meat Club Member

Based on my 15-minute look around the league, here are some comparable seat prices for men's basketball in the Pac12 (rows 1-10, non-courtside):

Arizona: $575 + $1,500 Donation = $2,075 (also requires a VERY sizable separate donation to Campaign Arizona Phase II likely in the $50,000/5 years range)
    Arizona State: $1,045
    California:$663 + $1,200 Donation = $1,863 (also requires a $5,000 Donation one-time for first time buyers)
    Colorado: $250 + $200 Donation = $450
    Oregon: $700
    Oregon State: $364
    Stanford:$795 + $1,000 Donation = $1,795
    UCLA: $1,198 + $3,200 Donation = $4,398
    USC: $340
    Utah: $468 + $500 Donation = $968
    Washington: $590 + $950 Donation = $1,540
    Washington State: $570

The moral of the story, we're getting our tickets on the cheap right now, and we should all enjoy that while it lasts. If they keep improving like they have, we're going to be in the $1,000 to $1,500 range quickly for the good seats.

tante likes this.
  12. Buffnik

I meant the first 10 rows, not the folding chairs on the actual court.

13. sackman

Just as I expected. CU basketball tickets are a freaking steal. Best bargain going right now. And I think you're right - another 2-3 years of 24 win seasons and it's going to be hard to find a ticket to those games. If Tad keeps winning (and who's going to say he won't), demand for those seats will be very high. Some old time supporters will have to make a decision as to whether they continue to go to football games or basketball games.

14. jgisland

jgisland Club Member Club Member

Basketball school?

15. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

No, because only 3,000 showed up for a poorly promoted preseason scrimmage.

16. jgisland

Not YET is the answer. I have never been to a spring game, what kind of attendance do we get for those?

17. Buffnik

Spring Game draws like 20k, but it's inflated by tying it in with a campus open house day.

Midnight Madness will grow.

I also think we'll see a small donation attached to all chairback seats soon.

18. sackman

I believe CU is becoming a basketball school. CU fans want to support a winner. The basketball program is a winner. The football program isn't. It might take a few years for the transformation to be complete, but I fully believe the process has begun.

19. sackman

Umm, like never. I think the most they ever got there was the year Mac challenged the fans to fill the place, and even then it was something like 17,000.

20. Buffnik

You're right. 5k-17k, and really fluctuates. Embree has pretty much killed this with his closed practices and running a 7-on-7 drill instead of a scrimmage this year (under 8k showed).

21. jgisland

So CU doesn't have a good track record of fan support for these type of events in general. It will be interesting if they do it again next year and if they do how early and to what degree they promote it.

22. Quattro

Quattro Banned BANNED Club Member

If they actually promote it I think we'd see a very good turnout with how big of a reach social media has today. I hope they don't give up on it though and improve it every year.