What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why do Mike MacIntyre teams struggle to run the football?

Recruiting, Bernardi, S&C, RB's, QB.

We haven't recruited studs to come and play right away and not enough time has passed for those projects to be "built to core" (I'm a real estate guy). Well, enough time has passed now, so we'll see how that strategy pans out.

I put Bernardi second because, while the players weren't talented or big enough, they still seemed lost out there, mistakes were never corrected, and players gave up on plays. There's no excuse for that, and those issues fall squarely on the coach. It can't get any worse, so I'm hoping for a large improvement here with Adams running the ship.

S&C should speak for itself - anyone who has attended a game recently can immediately see how small our team looked versus the other team - it literally looked like we were a JV team playing versus a varsity team. I obviously didn't have a comparison, outside of previous teams, but the team looked noticeably bigger to me at the public scrimmage.

Speedy was successful at CU because he was shifty and could make something out of nothing (a la Barry Sanders with the Detroit Lions - no, I know he wasn't nearly as good as the GOAT, just an example). Every RB since him has made nothing out of nothing. I think we'll be better here this year, but holes have to start appearing or we won't be much better.

Our QB's haven't been good enough to make opposing defenses respect the pass, so they've stacked the box and laughed at us trying to run. I want to believe Sefo will be better this year, but the scrimmage was discouraging (I don't care what the pro CU "press" is telling us since then) and my gut tells me that we'll be mourning the loss of Winfree all season (again, not buying the pro Bobo articles until I see it in game action).

Apologies for the Mtn-esque post, but I really think this is the year where our running game turns the corner. If Sefo can keep defenses somewhat honest and injuries are limited (both are very big ifs), we'll be stampeding our way to a Bowl game. Go Buffs!

Great point. Oregon and Stanford are the only two teams to win the Pac12 recently, and they both have strong off identities. UCLA, USC, ASU, Utah, Washington have all fielded some good teams, but what is their identity?
I think Utah has more of an identity than Oregon. I'd call them D first. Run game and let special teams excell. Part of what has caused Oregon to fall back to earth is the lack of offensive identity with the coaching turn over in my opinion

I think Utah has more of an identity than Oregon. I'd call them D first. Run game and let special teams excell. Part of what has caused Oregon to fall back to earth is the lack of offensive identity with the coaching turn over in my opinion
I think their awful Defense is a big factor with Oregon.

Brian Daniels, Marwan Hage, Ryan Miller, Dolyn Jackson (going back a ways for that one), Kai Maiava....

What do all these guys have in common? True frosh who contributed, often started, on the OL. These are just the guys I remember off the top of my head. There may be others.

People talk like it is a near impossibility for a true frosh to play OL. Granted, it is unusual, but if you can recruit well, there is no reason it cannot happen.

Under MikMac? Well, heading into year four and all of the projected OL starters, except Lynott, are Embree guys. Let's face it, a great deal of CU's woes stem from OL play. For whatever reason, CU cannot recruit over these guys. MikMac seems satisfied with projects, none of whom have cracked the starting line up as of yet. IMO, the project route isn't working. That isn't to say that there aren't guys who are projects who will be contributors, it just seems that approach, used exclusively, is part of the problem. Especially where you have a unit that has struggled the last three years. For the record, I like Miller, Kaiser, and others as prospects, but the OL has needed a talent infusion since MikMac got here, and largely we are still waiting.

Oregon's problem was defense last year, their offense dipped when Adams went down, but their defense was atrocious. They gave up 485 ypg, 117th nationally.

I don't think the OL is especially talented. But they are especially experienced. Older, stronger guys who have seen a lot of snaps. Except for Lynott, who will probably be playing in the NFL as a Center in 4 years. Even the backups fit this mold -- either young talents are experienced vets. Adams should be able to put a solid OL on the field from these pieces. Other teams have effective OL play with less.

Not sure about SJSU, but it seems to me that the progression of our games have kind of dictated our play calling. We've always, since Mac has been here, found ourselves forced to throw. Another thing that comes to mind, maybe a perception more than a fact, is that our running plays are predictable. I feel like us fans can sit in the stands and say, "we're going to run it here". If it's obvious to fans, I'm pretty sure a good OC can figure it out.

It is a lot of things But the offense is not really designed for the run - the blocking schemes are not very sophisticated so the RBs are not coached to wait for their blocks, etc. I have never felt the different parts of the offense meshed very well.

Brian Daniels, Marwan Hage, Ryan Miller, Dolyn Jackson (going back a ways for that one), Kai Maiava....

What do all these guys have in common? True frosh who contributed, often started, on the OL. These are just the guys I remember off the top of my head. There may be others.
I think you're remembering incorrectly; one of those guys was a fullback.

to go along with all the above ^^

I will throw in - all the recruited RB's move over to LB and RB's transfer out

Not sure about SJSU, but it seems to me that the progression of our games have kind of dictated our play calling. We've always, since Mac has been here, found ourselves forced to throw. Another thing that comes to mind, maybe a perception more than a fact, is that our running plays are predictable. I feel like us fans can sit in the stands and say, "we're going to run it here". If it's obvious to fans, I'm pretty sure a good OC can figure it out.

Actually, in a lot of close games, the coaches have tended to still shy away from the run game, even when it is working.

Actually, in a lot of close games, the coaches have tended to still shy away from the run game, even when it is working.
A particularly maddening course of events. Run the ball down their throat until you reach the 20, then get funky and try to pass the ball or run end-arounds... Then kick a field goal, maybe.

Oregon's problem was defense last year, their offense dipped when Adams went down, but their defense was atrocious. They gave up 485 ypg, 117th nationally.

The previous 4 years they were 2nd or 3rd in conference (conference games only ) for scoring defense. Last year they were not good.

3 y
Recruiting, Bernardi, S&C, RB's, QB.

We haven't recruited studs to come and play right away and not enough time has passed for those projects to be "built to core" (I'm a real estate guy). Well, enough time has passed now, so we'll see how that strategy pans out.

I put Bernardi second because, while the players weren't talented or big enough, they still seemed lost out there, mistakes were never corrected, and players gave up on plays. There's no excuse for that, and those issues fall squarely on the coach. It can't get any worse, so I'm hoping for a large improvement here with Adams running the ship.

S&C should speak for itself - anyone who has attended a game recently can immediately see how small our team looked versus the other team - it literally looked like we were a JV team playing versus a varsity team. I obviously didn't have a comparison, outside of previous teams, but the team looked noticeably bigger to me at the public scrimmage.

Speedy was successful at CU because he was shifty and could make something out of nothing (a la Barry Sanders with the Detroit Lions - no, I know he wasn't nearly as good as the GOAT, just an example). Every RB since him has made nothing out of nothing. I think we'll be better here this year, but holes have to start appearing or we won't be much better.

Our QB's haven't been good enough to make opposing defenses respect the pass, so they've stacked the box and laughed at us trying to run. I want to believe Sefo will be better this year, but the scrimmage was discouraging (I don't care what the pro CU "press" is telling us since then) and my gut tells me that we'll be mourning the loss of Winfree all season (again, not buying the pro Bobo articles until I see it in game action).

Apologies for the Mtn-esque post, but I really think this is the year where our running game turns the corner. If Sefo can keep defenses somewhat honest and injuries are limited (both are very big ifs), we'll be stampeding our way to a Bowl game. Go Buffs!

Three years he stuck with bernardi. Frigging amazing. Couldn't coach. Can't recruit.

It's been a lack of commitment and a lack of talent. Throw in a lot of penalties and injuries and it's been brutal. The non-conference schedule is where we get most of our rushing yards. I think they want to do it in the PAC but they lacked the talent to do it consistently. I'm hoping the offense can find some rhythm this year with the quick tempo and wider splits. I think we're going to be much better this year as a result.

Go Buffs!! One week until we kick the lambs butts.

Last edited:
Oregon just brought in Brady Hoke to run their defense. Expect improvement.

I'd agree.

On the other side of the line they are apparently starting an FCS QB and have a new OC.

Could all add up to being the Mighty Ducks in a turnaround. Or Helfrich being shown the door at worse. Though probably some middling problems as they implement new systems and change their recruiting patten to fit all the new. Folks in Eugene still cant forget that under Helfrich they suck at recruiting QBs. Which should not be their problem.

Because our OL has been awful for years and the coach has 3 to 4 rbs playing and there is no consistency.

A lot of one and two star linemen over the last decade and A LOT of walkons.

I think that The Buffs only had 7 o-linemen Barnett's last season.

I wonder what our 2nd down yards to gain were and how that dictated our play calling?

Back