What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why hasn't Boyle been given a big contract?

Well, that's a bit of a ridiculous comparison Terps are making. A coach can still be solid at adjustments without being Gary Williams. It's my opinion that Tad has been out-coached all times we've faced Turgeon.

If it took Terps until now to fully recognize what a fantastic coach in-game coach Gary was, then, well...
Of course, you're talking about a HOF coach. There's a GW walks-on-water faction at Maryland and then there's the happy GW is gone. I'm in the middle -- he did a great job, but couldn't remotely sustain after the national championship. They didn't go past the 2nd round in the past decade, just unacceptable at a school like Maryland. Nonetheless, Gary did an amazing job resurrecting Maryland and I'm happy he got to leave on his own terms.

Boyle is 0-2 including an OT loss to Turgeon, pretty small sample size. We're not likely to see this matchup, outside of the Tourney.

Of course, you're talking about a HOF coach. There's a GW walks-on-water faction at Maryland and then there's the happy GW is gone. I'm in the middle -- he did a great job, but couldn't remotely sustain after the national championship. They didn't go past the 2nd round in the past decade, just unacceptable at a school like Maryland. Nonetheless, Gary did an amazing job resurrecting Maryland and I'm happy he got to leave on his own terms.

Boyle is 0-2 including an OT loss to Turgeon, pretty small sample size. We're not likely to see this matchup, outside of the Tourney.

I wasn't basing Turgeon being a better in-game coach just on his games vs Tad, although the CU/Maryland game in particular was a clear case in my mind. Tad's still gaining experience, it can change. I just think our offense is a complete cluster**** far too often.

I liked Gary a lot. Which says something, because Maryland is hardly a program I have any love for. His time came, although he was a victim of his own success to a degree (Maryland had somehow never been to a Final Four until 2001). Personally, from afar, I think Turgeon will bring Maryland to being a tournament team with regularity. I personally don't expect to see Maryland surviving the first weekend with any regularity under Turgeon. That's not a knock, there's a very select few who survive the first weekend with regularity.

I wasn't basing Turgeon being a better in-game coach just on his games vs Tad, although the CU/Maryland game in particular was a clear case in my mind. Tad's still gaining experience, it can change. I just think our offense is a complete cluster**** far too often.

I liked Gary a lot. Which says something, because Maryland is hardly a program I have any love for. His time came, although he was a victim of his own success to a degree (Maryland had somehow never been to a Final Four until 2001). Personally, from afar, I think Turgeon will bring Maryland to being a tournament team with regularity. I personally don't expect to see Maryland surviving the first weekend with any regularity under Turgeon. That's not a knock, there's a very select few who survive the first weekend with regularity.
I think the victim of his own success is definitely true to an extent, but not that large. I don't expect Maryland to be Kentucky or have UCLA expectations. My expectations are obviously higher than yours. What I do think is they should be a tournament team virtually every year, they should get to the 2nd weekend most years, and compete for a Final Four every so often. Gary wasn't getting to the second weekend after the national title (except for the following year) and making the tournament wasn't a given. That's unacceptable. And towards the end of his tenure, out-of-conference games had lots of empty seats (even the Illinois game I attended a few years ago had many empty seats) and ACC games not involving marquee teams especially Duke were usually pretty available.

Last edited:
Back