What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why I freaked out, (An attempt to rationalize my irrational frustration)

Not a fan of his decision, but I've got no say. If he plays over someone better in the secondary it IS going to be a problem.

You need all of the help in the secondary you can get in the pac12. It's not a problem until it becomes one.

The financial argument is such a red herring. Plenty of kids from wealthy families get full-ride scholarships. Johnny Football's family are freekin' oil millionaires. JMac was getting a scholly somewhere, so dad, regardless of his salary, wasn't going to pay.

The real issue and concern is the potential for nepotism. Not whether coach making millions doesn't have to pay for his kid to go to school.

As for the nepotism angle, I share the concern based on our recent experiences, but I'm also choosing to give HCMM the benefit of the doubt because I think it is unfair to hold someone else's mistakes (if that's what you believe regarding the Hawkinses) against another. Only time will tell if it was the right call.

Yes I quoting myself. Too bad...

Here's another reason the "dad's getting paid a ton, so jay should pay his own way" argument is sucky: I'm sitting here listing to the replay of HCMM's presser, and he just said his family has endowed a football scholarship that will last beyond Jay's 4 or 5 years at CU. So basically, HCMM is paying for his son's tuition, and in 5 or 6 years, and "long after [he's] dead and gone", someone else's son as well.

Yes I quoting myself. Too bad...

Here's another reason the "dad's getting paid a ton, so jay should pay his own way" argument is sucky: I'm sitting here listing to the replay of HCMM's presser, and he just said his family has endowed a football scholarship that will last beyond Jay's 4 or 5 years at CU. So basically, HCMM is paying for his son's tuition, and in 5 or 6 years, and "long after [he's] dead and gone", someone else's son as well.

That is great!

The fact that every radio interview and the press conference had these questions presents the underlying issue of why I believe this should not have taken place.

I'll shut my mouth on this subject now and vocally cheer when J Mac makes a good play on Saturdays.

Mac had a great point on the scholly vs walk on thing. Jay earned a scholarship and all of the things that go with being a scholarship athlete. The "perks" if you will.

That is great!

The fact that every radio interview and the press conference had these questions presents the underlying issue of why I believe this should not have taken place.

I'll shut my mouth on this subject now and vocally cheer when J Mac makes a good play on Saturdays.
Yeah, radio guys and reporters ask those, you know, "hard hitting" questions. The fact is they don't know jack **** about recruiting. They pay no attention to it 364 days of the year. The only thing those idots are "smart enough" to ask a question about is Jay MacIntyre. He was even in Kensler's frigging headline about the class. But the misguided pub his signing is getting is not an argument against signing him.

The financial argument is such a red herring. Plenty of kids from wealthy families get full-ride scholarships. Johnny Football's family are freekin' oil millionaires. JMac was getting a scholly somewhere, so dad, regardless of his salary, wasn't going to pay.

The real issue and concern is the potential for nepotism. Not whether coach making millions doesn't have to pay for his kid to go to school.

As for the nepotism angle, I share the concern based on our recent experiences, but I'm also choosing to give HCMM the benefit of the doubt because I think it is unfair to hold someone else's mistakes (if that's what you believe regarding the Hawkinses) against another. Only time will tell if it was the right call.
I don't have a problem with Jay getting a scholly as long as he would get one without his last name.

These are athletic scholarships, not need-based financial aid. If the kid earns it, I have no problem whatsoever.

If Jay were a four or five I wonder how much bitching would be going on? :lol:

If Jay were a four or five I wonder how much bitching would be going on? :lol:
Cody Hawkins was an Elite 11 QB, he was supposed to be better than he was. Jay would always be held to a higher standard, it comes with the territory just any other time the bosses child works for his parent and subsequently gets promoted.

Cody Hawkins was an Elite 11 QB, he was supposed to be better than he was. Jay would always be held to a higher standard, it comes with the territory just any other time the bosses child works for his parent and subsequently gets promoted.
Must have been a short year for QB's....

Must have been a short year for QB's....
Not sure I was on campus at the time and I remember the sentiment was that most were hoping he'd choose CU. Big Hawk talked about how good his son was (the whole he hadn't lost a game since 5th grade or whatever it was) but correctly said if he struggled, it be harder for him than the typical kid.

You either trust Mike MacIntyre's judgment or you don't.

If you are of the opinion that he does not exercise good judgment on what players are going to be good additions to the program (including his son), then you should be calling for his head.

I trust Mike MacIntyre. He played major college football for his dad. He knows the drill and how to manage it better than anyone would. Have a little faith.

Wow. Way to throw down the glove. The old "you are either with me or against me" mandate is a bit heavy handed, IYAM.

I admit to questioning his judgement.

His daughter is at Baylor. BAYLOR! What kind of parent would pay tuition to send their kid to that place?

Son made a great college choice, but his decision to play FB at CU is a big red flag.

It's true that Mike played for his dad George for his first two seasons at Vanderbilt, but then Mike transferred to Georgia Tech to finish his college career. Has anyone heard the story explaining why MacIntyre left his dad at Vandy to become a Yellow Jacket?

It's also worth pointing out that NCAA football has higher stakes and higher salaries than back in '85-'87.

In yesterday's presser, MacIntyre stated that he didn't call Hawkins. In fact, he indicates he doesn't even know Dan. I'm not saying MacIntyre has any obligation to contact Dan. Dan might not be qualified for many things, but if anyone can provide insight about coaching his son at CU, it's Dan Hawkins. With a few of Hawkins recruits still on the team, why not call up and pick his brain or chat about the seniors and mutual acquaintances on the AD staff and booster community? Is MacIntyre stubborn?

I'm not yet at a point to call for MacIntyte's head. I am content to watch, learn, and give him every opportunity to implement his system.

But I'm not going to ignore risky behaviors and gloss over decisions that I don't agree with either.

Wow. Way to throw down the glove. The old "you are either with me or against me" mandate is a bit heavy handed, IYAM.

His daughter is at Baylor. BAYLOR! What kind of parent would pay tuition to send their kid to that place?

Son made a great college choice, but his decision to play FB at CU is a big red flag.

It's true that Mike played for his dad George for his first two seasons at Vanderbilt, but then Mike transferred to Georgia Tech to finish his college career. Has anyone heard the story explaining why MacIntyre left his dad at Vandy to become a Yellow Jacket?

It's also worth pointing out that NCAA football has higher stakes and higher salaries than back in '85-'87.

In yesterday's presser, MacIntyre stated that he didn't call Hawkins. In fact, he indicates he doesn't even know Dan. I'm not saying MacIntyre has any obligation to contact Dan. Dan might not be qualified for many things, but if anyone can provide insight about coaching his son at CU, it's Dan Hawkins. With a few of Hawkins recruits still on the team, why not call up and pick his brain or chat about the seniors and mutual acquaintances on the AD staff and booster community? Is MacIntyre stubborn?

I'm not yet at a point to call for MacIntyte's head. I am content to watch, learn, and give him every opportunity to implement his system.

But I'm not going to ignore risky behaviors and gloss over decisions that I don't agree with either.
Can you imagine the string of cliches, quotes and inanities that conversation would produce? I wouldn't wish that on anybody.

The last guy Mac wants to talk to is Dan Hawkins.

Back