What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

why so glum?

LaserDeathHawk

Club Member
Club Member
I know Mizz has had our card for a while, and ths is a road game after a very emotional win...three big knocks against us but I think there are some things that may balance those a bit.

1) Aldon Smith recently out. Best D player at leastand maybe their bestplayer. Gives our OL a bit more of a chance to step up.
2) Derrick Washington out. Backed up by essentially 4 guys that found their footing last week against Miami (OH) for 200+ yards but Miami is the 33rd ranked rush defense. We are 7th.
3) Their passing game is ranked 91st and our pass D is ranked 12th

I got the stats here. maybe their full of it...http://www.footballoutsiders.com/

So the question is can we score. And I think we can. This team is playing better than it has in a long time. I'm not trying to get ahead of myself but we are playing better than we have, I think that we can all agree to that. This team would beat the hell out of last seasons team and laugh about it.

Missouri D is ranked 29th over all. 53rd in Rushing D and 13th in passing D. (Same place for the stats.). Our O ranks horribly (101 overall, 114 rushing and 88 in passing) but that includes the CSU game, the Cal game and the first half of Hawaii. I don't know how to do it but I have to figure that if ranked our last game and a half against everyone else it would show much better.

So if these guys can keep some mo. If the can work hard. If they can have confidence. I think we can play Mizz tough. Beat them? Who knows but I got a little faith going here. Anyone else?

aaaaaand let the pile-on begin.

The question is NOT "can we score". The question is how many points will we give up? Our defensive strategy against the tiggers for the last four years appears to have been "give the QB as much time as he wants and hope he throws it away". Based on Hawkins' history, I suspect we'll have the same gameplan this year as in years' past.

We have been horrible on the road the past 4 years and horrible against Missouri the past 4 years. We have some pretty good defensive stats right now, but we still haven't played a difficult schedule.

The question is NOT "can we score". The question is how many points will we give up? Our defensive strategy against the tiggers for the last four years appears to have been "give the QB as much time as he wants and hope he throws it away". Based on Hawkins' history, I suspect we'll have the same gameplan this year as in years' past.

But you do you have to admit that as of lately, our gameplans have been somewhat different this season in comparison with the last 4 seasons. We're running the ball a lot more on the ground (and with success), hell, we've been running the option which has been unheard of during Hawkin's tenure. This is new. And I believe that with each game that the Buffs played so far this season (possibly with the exception of Cal), the Buffs have walked away with the most time possession. Not saying this is will be the secret ingredient to brew a victory over Mizzery, but taking time away from their offensive freak of nature will help us.

52-7, 0 road wins since 2007. That is all you need to know. Hawk teams are a completely different animal on the road. They play respecable football at home, get your hopes up then **** the bed on the road. Until they break this cycle you have nothing to point to as a positive. Home games don't count as a benchmark.

Last edited:
The opening arguement would hold more water if the game were played in Folsom.

0-10 on the road in the B-12 north is also a key stat.

CU barely had enough energy to put on their uniform last time they played in Columbia. The tigers and Faurolt field sucks the life out of Colorado.

It's up to the 2010 team to prove me wrong.

The real question is can we run the ball, convert some third downs, sustain drives, and score. The defense will be good enough if the offense does it's part. Too many punts and we're screwed.

I wanted to rush the field when the Buffs got a field goal just before halftime against Missouri last year to close their lead to 31-3. But no one would go with me.

You mixed up pass game with run game in the OP, but otherwise it's valid.

I'll give you the 3 main reason why it's very hard to have any confidence this week:

1. Hawkins has a history of ripping your hearts out every time we have felt hope that he has finally turned the corner.

2. Hawkins has been snotknocked by Pinkel the past 4 years. Even his bowl season, Mizzou won by almost 50 (in Boulder).

3. Hawkins has been repeatedly bent over the fence every time he's gone on the road. Against the Big 12 North, in particular, he is 0-10 on the road.

If you could take those factors away, I'd say we're about even money for winning this game and may actually be the better team. But that's a lot to take out.

The real question is can we run the ball, convert some third downs, sustain drives, and score. The defense will be good enough if the offense does it's part. Too many punts and we're screwed.

No. Seriously. That's not the real question. CU can't effing stop Missouri. I don't know why, but we can't. We haven't had a decent defensive gameplan against Missouri since D-II Danny first darkened our door. We may be able to run the ball. We may be able to convert some third downs. We may be able to sustain some drives and score. None of that matters if we can't stop Missouri from scoring EVERY TIME THEY HAVE THE BALL - which is exactly what has been the case for the last four years.

But let's not worry. I'm certain Danny and co. are busy working on the little things, like how to generate an adequate pass rush with only three guys.

I remembered that Hawkins had not won a road game since we beat Texas Tech in Lubbock a few years ago, but I had not realized he has NEVER won a road game against our Big 12 North foes.

Yet another reason to have low expectations for Saturday night's game.

On Oct 27, it will have been THREE YEARS since we won a road game. THREE YEARS. /thread.

And keep the penlities to a bare min.

MU has outscored CU 177 - 40 since Hawkins has been coaching.
That's like 44 - 10 every game.

Back