What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Why we should return to one-platoon football on all levels of football

They may teach it at some point, but they may not be emphasizing it. I think coaches bought into the big hit and "jacked up" culture as much as the players did. Launching yourself at somebody is simply just easier than staying on your feet and securing a good tackle. Emphasize it in practice, and flag people for spearing. It's too late for a lot of the NFL guys to change the way they play, but the younger kids can grow up learning a safer way to tackle.

The harder part is doing anything about the non-tackling collisions happening around the line of scrimmage every play. I'm not sure there's anything they can do about minimizing those hits.
Make it illegal to leave you feet to make a tackle or initiate contact that isn't in pursuit from behind a ball carrier. Penalize and fine leading with the helmet regardless of position.

I'm so tired of this debate....

I don't mean to get political here, but this is a microcosm of what I think is wrong with society. We think that enough regulation solves whatever problem we're trying to combat, whether that be head injuries in football in sports, or any other issue. The reality of this situation is this: It comes down to assumption of risk. If you become a baseball pitcher, you might tear a rotator cuff. If you touch a hot plate, you might burn yourself. If you do a job that involves spending a fair amount of time on a computer, you may get carpal tunnel. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. May Junior Seau rest in peace---but the lawsuit his family filed against the NFL is disgusting to me. Its on the same level as the woman who sued McDonalds after spilling a cup of coffee in her lap. Understand what you're getting into, and be prepared to take responsibility for your actions.

All that said, I do have one thing to say with football. Compare the way they handle concussions with the way the hockey does. Sidney Crosby suffered one a couple years back. Correct me if I'm wrong if you pay more attention to hockey than I do, but he was out most if not all of the year that happened. When you listen to somebody like Klatt (might be a bad example) talk about it, he suffered a couple of concussions while at CU and then returned from them in the same game. The one regulation that might be useful here is this: Force people who have suffered concussions to sit a certain amount of time. I don't think much else helps here.

Just make everyone involved sign a contract / waiver, at all levels... Barring legal council and law suits - that is what will eventually lead to the changing of the game. Everything is always "changed" due to lawsuits.

I don't mean to get political here, but this is a microcosm of what I think is wrong with society. We think that enough regulation solves whatever problem we're trying to combat, whether that be head injuries in football in sports, or any other issue. The reality of this situation is this: It comes down to assumption of risk. If you become a baseball pitcher, you might tear a rotator cuff. If you touch a hot plate, you might burn yourself. If you do a job that involves spending a fair amount of time on a computer, you may get carpal tunnel. I could go on, but I think I've made my point. May Junior Seau rest in peace---but the lawsuit his family filed against the NFL is disgusting to me. Its on the same level as the woman who sued McDonalds after spilling a cup of coffee in her lap. Understand what you're getting into, and be prepared to take responsibility for your actions.

All that said, I do have one thing to say with football. Compare the way they handle concussions with the way the hockey does. Sidney Crosby suffered one a couple years back. Correct me if I'm wrong if you pay more attention to hockey than I do, but he was out most if not all of the year that happened. When you listen to somebody like Klatt (might be a bad example) talk about it, he suffered a couple of concussions while at CU and then returned from them in the same game. The one regulation that might be useful here is this: Force people who have suffered concussions to sit a certain amount of time. I don't think much else helps here.

So, you are saying that all of this regulation is bad, except for the one that you think is good.

You obviously haven't read my opinions on the politics board. Many of the concussion injuries are caused by bad fundamentals. I wasn't taught to tackle with my head down or launch myself at a ball carrier rather than wrap up and roll my hips through the tackle. The big hits make Sports Center, plain and simple. They are flashy but dangerous, the league can greatly reduce injuries by forcing fundamentals. Leading with your head has been illegal for the 4 decades that I have been watching football, it is time the rule is enforced.

I did read it,

Summary. Let's go back to the stone age of football. It would be cheaper, less guys get hurt, and simpler. Better Equipment won't make football safer, let's go back to the 1950's when nobody got hurt.

Interesting but I don't think that single platoon football would significantly reduce injuries or make for an interesting game.

What is proposed here already exist, it is called rugby, a sport that is a lot of fun to watch but isn't football as we know and love it.

http://www.americanfootballmonthly.com/Subaccess/printer_friendly.php?article_id=5651

I thought that was a good article to read. The argument is that specialized football players are causing those injuries and if we removed specialized players from football, there would be a bigger emphasis on conditioning than making players bigger, faster, and stronger.

There are other benefits if you read the whole article.

As for rugby, it's similar to option style football which I enjoyed back in the old Big 8 days and it is something that is disappearing from football these days. That's why I enjoy the videogame version of NCAA football since I can relive those days. The football we see these days ain't real football if you asked me.

Also a sport that caused my good friend's father to die due to what doctors described as repeated head injuries.

That would be an issue with single platoon football for sure. There is no perfect solution in this case when it comes to concussions. They have those in basketball where contact isn't as great as in rugby, Aussie Rules, Gaelic, and American football. The question is how do we reduce them?

http://www.benzinga.com/general/psychology/12/05/2579363/future-of-the-nfl-how-to-save-football

I'm not sure if banning above the shoulder tackles wouldn't be counterproductive. But having a red/yellow flag aspect in football could make a difference.

Still not understanding how this makes the game of football better. Maybe you could explain that in a succinct manner.

That makes a lot of sense to have players with concussions sit out a certain amount of time. Would that teach them to play differently?

You obviously haven't read my opinions on the politics board. Many of the concussion injuries are caused by bad fundamentals. I wasn't taught to tackle with my head down or launch myself at a ball carrier rather than wrap up and roll my hips through the tackle. The big hits make Sports Center, plain and simple. They are flashy but dangerous, the league can greatly reduce injuries by forcing fundamentals. Leading with your head has been illegal for the 4 decades that I have been watching football, it is time the rule is enforced.

I agree that the rule needs to be enforced and a return to fundamentals is in serious need. Wouldn't a return to one platoon football be more likely to help football players go back to the fundamentals?

Make it illegal to leave you feet to make a tackle or initiate contact that isn't in pursuit from behind a ball carrier. Penalize and fine leading with the helmet regardless of position.

They already penalize players in the NFL for that I believe.

Just make everyone involved sign a contract / waiver, at all levels... Barring legal council and law suits - that is what will eventually lead to the changing of the game. Everything is always "changed" due to lawsuits.

I believe NFL players do sign such documents and the same goes for college & HS players.

Charlie Sheen's best performance, IMO. Better than "Wall St" even. Was Willem Dafoe's character supposed to be Jesus, you think? That's often been speculated to be the case. He died to save Sheen's soul.

Exculpatory contracts are generally disfavored.

I agree that the rule needs to be enforced and a return to fundamentals is in serious need. Wouldn't a return to one platoon football be more likely to help football players go back to the fundamentals?

They already penalize players in the NFL for that I believe.

1. No I don't believe that at all. It is a very poor thought out premise. As others have stated, fatigue causes injuries.

2. They only call a penalty for launching if it is against a "defenseless opponent." Linebackers are never penalized for taking on a lead blocker with their helmet, nor are the lead blockers or linemen penalized for it. Defensive players are never penalized for leading with their head when a runner has lower position than them.

Only offensive players can wear helmets. Plus, all players should do additional skull exercises to make their noggins meatier and more difficult to dent.

I did read it,

Summary. Let's go back to the stone age of football. It would be cheaper, less guys get hurt, and simpler. Better Equipment won't make football safer, let's go back to the 1950's when nobody got hurt.

Interesting but I don't think that single platoon football would significantly reduce injuries or make for an interesting game.

What is proposed here already exist, it is called rugby, a sport that is a lot of fun to watch but isn't football as we know and love it.

I thought when you summarized it it would end up longer. :smile2:

Why don't we just ban men from playing football. The lingerie league is more fun than what Nash is pushing.

1. No I don't believe that at all. It is a very poor thought out premise. As others have stated, fatigue causes injuries.

Check post #18. As players are more fatigued, they don't move as fast and probably don't hit as hard. This still won't reduce the hits to the hits but they won't be as severe in nature. The interesting thing is that concussion rates for other sports that actually have you play offense and defense are lower than in football.

More regulation isn't always the answer in many things and it appears to me that the game of football is capable of evolving into a safer sport over the long term. Take the no huddle offenses these days...it seems to me that there aren't as many hard hits when teams are not huddling up. That does make the argument of returning to one platoon football seem like a good one.

It needs to be pointed out that rugby plays in 40 minute halves compared to 15 minute quarters for football. Aussie Rules football has 20 minute quarters, while Gaelic football has 30 minute halves. I think football playerrs are capable of playing one platoon football.

Check post #18. As players are more fatigued, they don't move as fast and probably don't hit as hard. This still won't reduce the hits to the hits but they won't be as severe in nature. The interesting thing is that concussion rates for other sports that actually have you play offense and defense are lower than in football.

More regulation isn't always the answer in many things and it appears to me that the game of football is capable of evolving into a safer sport over the long term. Take the no huddle offenses these days...it seems to me that there aren't as many hard hits when teams are not huddling up. That does make the argument of returning to one platoon football seem like a good one.

It needs to be pointed out that rugby plays in 40 minute halves compared to 15 minute quarters for football. Aussie Rules football has 20 minute quarters, while Gaelic football has 30 minute halves. I think football playerrs are capable of playing one platoon football.
Again, a poor premise. Fatigued players are injured due to fatigue, not speed or hard hits. It is a result of poor technique due to muscle and mental fatigue, not speed or harder hits.

Fatigue definitely leads to more injuries. From way back in the day when I was an actual ski bum on the ski patrol - the vast majority of the injuries we treated were always in the last couple hours of the day.

I suspect that Nash might be right in that having the players play most of the game on both sides might reduce the overall numbers of certain types of injuries, but any gains would probably be offset by increases in other types of injuries.

How low is Colorado football right now? It's one week to signing day and this thread has 50 posts.

:bang::cry::tini::pissed3:

Are you really suggesting that the game would be better off if everyone was just more tired and running around slower? Good luck getting TV networks who pay the league billions to buy off on slowball.

Why not play 3 games a week instead and have a 6 week season? Or better yet, double-headers every week. Make every player wear wool uniforms they have to soak with water before each quarter. They'd be tired as s**t and we'd eliminate all injuries.

There's probably also something to be said for the 50s football players weren't the same athletes that play today. If Ray Lewis nails you with or without a helmet on, it's not going to be good. I mean even in the 70s there were 200 pound guys playing on the line. Linebackers weren't 6'3 240 that run like deer.

At the end of the day, injuries happen in contact sports. Hopefully awareness is better now and situations where guys get a concussion and go back in the game are over.

Charlie Sheen's best performance, IMO. Better than "Wall St" even. Was Willem Dafoe's character supposed to be Jesus, you think? That's often been speculated to be the case. He died to save Sheen's soul.
Dafoe's character in every movie is supposed to be Jesus. FACT!

I'm all for single-platoon. What other sport has totally different teams for offense and defense. It's very strange.

I've had this discussion with Euro Soccer fans who enjoy the fluidity of their stupid sport.

Football is most analogous to warfare. There are highly specialized skill sets that must be coordinated to exectute a broader, but opposed vision. Coaches are generals. While I concur that it somewhat unique in the world of sports, I don't find it strange, and rather enjoy that element of the game. 'Cause seriously, who doesn't love warfare?

I'm all for single-platoon. What other sport has totally different teams for offense and defense. It's very strange.

What other sport does the clock run even when the ball isn't in play? What other sport can you run out of bounds and maintain possession of the ball? What other outdoor sport will they not postpone in heavy snow and freezing temperatures? Football is unique for a lot of reasons.

Back