What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Will not see a starting QB named until fall (most likely)

You're just saying what nearly everybody else is saying. Perhaps you should examine the body of work before making assumptions.

But you gotta admit...for whatever reason the O looked more dynamic after the Texas game last season.

Exactly. We went from being predictably bad to unpredictably bad. Unpredictably bad is much more fun to watch and gives you hope that you could beat anyone on any given Saturday.

Where's the frustration with Hansen? He was given the chance to start as a Frosh ...

He was on the scout team, playing the part of opposing QB and with no notice, they threw him into a game with barely a glance at the playbook.
Then, as a soph, told him he didn't win the starting job and he'd redshirt, no, wait, you'll play: you are THE GUY; oh, no wait, you are one of the guys. Whatever.
I am saying that I have never been sure that Hansen got the type of support that he deserved. A lot of waffling going on.

It's early in spring ball ... I hope someone will take charge and lead this team.

From some guys who "might" know, it's lack of opportunity. There is someone who wants this to look like a two-man race.
Gee, just had a flashback to Matt Ballenger.

I'm sure there are many opinions, but he doesn't seem to be groomed as the #3 guy --- People say you have to come in and earn the spot, take it away from the #1 guy. But if they don't give you reps, there is just not a thing you can do.

So either he has it, and they don't see it/don't want it; or he doesn't. Could be we'll never know.

Alferd is drunk. I've been to several practices and the two freshmen are NO where close to competitive for a starting job. I don't know who the guys are who "might" know, but that's not the way my eyeballs see it. Throw either into a game right now and you will have Hansen circa 2008. No thanks.

When Lobato get's the mechanics down so that he doesn't throw about every third pass into the ground, we can have an intelligent discussion. I've seen a lot of struggles and some really nice bright spots. Hirschman - same thing, but a little better.

This is do-or-die for this staff and you will see an experienced QB out there. Period.

Tyler is not getting it done. He's STARTED a season's worth of games (13) and played in a few others. He's had 2 full Springs and 3 falls to take the job from a limited, ill-equiped, short, unathletic, insert Cody shortcoming here, QB and has similar stats and winning percentage. People seem quick to make excuses for Tyler, maybe it's because they are so sick of the Dan and Cody show, but just because he isn't Cody doesn't make him a huge upgrade unless he plays better. Hell the prettiest pass he's ever made was that TD toss to Scotty in his very first game versus KSU. Where's the improvement?? Maybe he's been jerked around a little, but it's not like he's been running scout for 3 years - he's had plenty of opportunities to win the job. If you're the better QB, go win the job.

I'm hearing that Tyler is pretty much the starter and is getting the vast majority of reps with the starters (especially the OL 1s).

Like it or not, this just seems to be a philosophy of this coaching staff to want the QBs to be battling it out into fall camp.

Has this staff ever named a QB starter after the spring? Maybe Cody in 2008, but I can't remember for sure.

I'm hearing that Tyler is pretty much the starter and is getting the vast majority of reps with the starters (especially the OL 1s).

Like it or not, this just seems to be a philosophy of this coaching staff to want the QBs to be battling it out into fall camp.

Has this staff ever named a QB starter after the spring? Maybe Cody in 2008, but I can't remember for sure.

Your theory about the staff just refusing to name a starting QB fails due to Cody in 2008. If TH is "basically" the starter, why not effing name him the starter? FWIW, they got equal time from what I saw at the scrimmage.

Your theory about the staff just refusing to name a starting QB fails due to Cody in 2008. If TH is "basically" the starter, why not effing name him the starter? FWIW, they got equal time from what I saw at the scrimmage.

Exactly...not naming a starter is ****ing stupid. Tyler needs to be established as the leader of the team. If Danny waits until the fall, he will have a house divided.

Exactly...not naming a starter is ****ing stupid. Tyler needs to be established as the leader of the team. If Danny waits until the fall, he will have a house divided.

And if he does name Tyler as a starter, won't his house also be divided?

And if he does name Tyler as a starter, won't his house also be divided?

Not sure....I think if he names a starter now, the guys will rally around the named leader, unless named leader is a boob.

Tyler is not getting it done. He's STARTED a season's worth of games (13) and played in a few others. He's had 2 full Springs and 3 falls to take the job from a limited, ill-equiped, short, unathletic, insert Cody shortcoming here, QB and has similar stats and winning percentage. People seem quick to make excuses for Tyler, maybe it's because they are so sick of the Dan and Cody show, but just because he isn't Cody doesn't make him a huge upgrade unless he plays better. Hell the prettiest pass he's ever made was that TD toss to Scotty in his very first game versus KSU. Where's the improvement?? Maybe he's been jerked around a little, but it's not like he's been running scout for 3 years - he's had plenty of opportunities to win the job. If you're the better QB, go win the job.

I think it's not that Tyler is the savior or something, it's mostly a lack of better options. I don't think anyone honestly believes Tyler is going to be flirting with the Davey O'Brien award in his career, but he certainly seems to be a much better player than Cody. Thanks to the awesome recruiting of the staff, we have exactly two options at QB, Hirschman not really counting and apparently all of the good things we heard about Lobato, well he's playing WR, so that tells me all I need to know.

I mean, you mention lack of improvement from Tyler, I thought he looked better last year than he did vs Iowa State as a true freshman, but let's take a gander at the other option. The guy has not only not improved since his redshirt freshman year, he has regressed, badly. The fact that Tyler is having trouble separating himself from Cody in practices, where Cody is notoriously good, doesn't really mean much to me. The offense last year under Cody, against beyond terrible competition, paled in comparison to the offense with Tyler running it against B12 opponents. I just don't want to pass judgment on Tyler until he is given a real chance at being the starting QB, and no, being pulled so Cody can run the 2 minute drill and attempt 8 interceptions does not count as a real chance. Let him have a full offseason practicing with the ones, let him have some fun against Toledo, CSU, and Wyoming, let him not have to worry about being pulled for the 2 minute drill, and then we will know what Tyler is truly capable of as a college QB.

I am worried about Tyler's competitive fire....I remember seeing him laughing his ass off on the sideline last year, with the Buffs down 2 TDs....

I am worried about Tyler's competitive fire....I remember seeing him laughing his ass off on the sideline last year, with the Buffs down 2 TDs....

Perhaps it was precisely his competetive fire that was making him so happy.

Oops. My mistake. I imagined that Cody was starting in your scenario.

Sorry..I was not clear...I don't remember which game it was...But was disgusted that both Tyler and Cody were yucking it up (I did mean Tyler, who was starting at that point...).

I guess I am living in the past...you know, back when Buff football was relevant on the national scene and we cared about winning.

Sorry..I was not clear...I don't remember which game it was...But was disgusted that both Tyler and Cody were yucking it up (I did mean Tyler, who was starting at that point...).

I guess I am living in the past...you know, back when Buff football was relevant on the national scene and we cared about winning.

I actually remember that as well, and I was similarly offended.

You mean QBs on winning teams do not play leapfrog or bullfighter/bull??????

Wow. I did not see that...I just saw them laughing their asses off...I think against the nubs.

It was one of the night games and it was something that is burned into my psyche. How that kind of crap is acceptable is beyond me.

It was one of the night games and it was something that is burned into my psyche. How that kind of crap is acceptable is beyond me.

Let's send the tape to some of the guys who were around in the 90s...or, to coach Mac to see their reaction. That is one of the many reasons we have lost it....God, can we rewind back to 1994.....?

Let's send the tape to some of the guys who were around in the 90s...or, to coach Mac to see their reaction. That is one of the many reasons we have lost it....God, can we rewind back to 1994.....?

If nothing else, fashion made sense back then. Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna go tie-die my do-rag and re-pierce my nipple.

**** yeah! Where were you? Obviously not Boulder. I guess it was more situational than fashion-related...

Irving, Texass.....one fall morning down in Austin watching the Buffs kick some Longhorn ass....

best part about the coaches not naming a starter? we get to rehash this **** for another 5 months. :bang:

I think it's not that Tyler is the savior or something, it's mostly a lack of better options. I don't think anyone honestly believes Tyler is going to be flirting with the Davey O'Brien award in his career, but he certainly seems to be a much better player than Cody. Thanks to the awesome recruiting of the staff, we have exactly two options at QB, Hirschman not really counting and apparently all of the good things we heard about Lobato, well he's playing WR, so that tells me all I need to know.

I mean, you mention lack of improvement from Tyler, I thought he looked better last year than he did vs Iowa State as a true freshman, but let's take a gander at the other option. The guy has not only not improved since his redshirt freshman year, he has regressed, badly. The fact that Tyler is having trouble separating himself from Cody in practices, where Cody is notoriously good, doesn't really mean much to me. The offense last year under Cody, against beyond terrible competition, paled in comparison to the offense with Tyler running it against B12 opponents. I just don't want to pass judgment on Tyler until he is given a real chance at being the starting QB, and no, being pulled so Cody can run the 2 minute drill and attempt 8 interceptions does not count as a real chance. Let him have a full offseason practicing with the ones, let him have some fun against Toledo, CSU, and Wyoming, let him not have to worry about being pulled for the 2 minute drill, and then we will know what Tyler is truly capable of as a college QB.

Based on what? Honestly, not trying to be a smartass, but so far he's shown he can't play any better in practice, and wins games with the same frequency - maybe he's more athletic, but so is Clark Evans and he's a TE now.

Back