What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Will potential NCAA rule changes help or hurt CU?

DBT

Club Member
Club Member
Read in the Post today that ahe NCAA is considering some changes. There are a couple that could affect us pretty significantly. They are considering raising the APR minimum from 925 to 930. They are also discussing tieing APR to post season eligibility. They are also considering tightening admissions requirements for incoming freshmen and JC transfers.

I see this as a potential double edged sword for CU. We have a more difficult time with the APR because of our curriculum. This forces us to be more selective in recruiting and potentially could cost us some top recruits. But raising admission standards could counter this. Not likely though since high schools will "cook the books" for borderline kids.

I'd prefer the NCAA figure out a formula that would adjust the APR depending on individual school's curricula. I don't have a clue how they could do that. I also do not believe the care or are motivated to do so.

Last edited:
I think the APR thing only hurts us. We don't seem to offer golf (Ohio State) and we don't have coeds taking tests for our kids (North Carolina). Our kids actually have to earn real degrees while playing football, basketball, etc. I was initially worried about this when I read it. I hope some of you smarter folks on here can tell me my reaction is incorrect.

I think it helps us.

We don't have the type of culture that would allow us to bend the rules with the big boys, so anything that reduces gray area and makes everyone behave in a similar fashion only helps.

Besides that, I trust that Embo is going to be on top of any changes and highly responsive to them. He's definitely the type of leader who is going to look at any change as "that's to our advantage". If it's hot, cold, rainy, sunny, snowy or windy, he'll believe that it's to our advantage on game day (and make the players believe it). If we have elite facilities, he'll sell it to our advantage. If we don't, he'll also use it to our advantage by stressing how it builds toughness and team unity to practice outside in December while getting ready for a bowl game. If we have higher academic standards, he'll see it as an advantage over programs that don't because we'll develop players who have to have high standards in all aspects of their lives as student athletes. Whatever it is, he's the type of guy who will embrace it and make it part of a winning culture. So, whatever the NCAA does or circumstances dictate... advantage Colorado.

Ultimately this is a good thing. Our student athletes need to perform in the classroom.

It all comes down to enforcement of the rules for those institutions who break them.

Good stuff, all. But I don't think you are taking into account the culture in the "football schools." Those schools will just "adjust" to the higher APR standard. CU will not. The NCAA does not give a ****. They just want the revenue. They'll look the other way as the SEC schools and Texases of the world just lower their standards and/or tweak athlete's grades. Same for raising admission standards. You can't tell me that a high school in Alabama is going to throw Joe Jock under the bus if he has a chance to get a scholly at 'Bama. The NCAA does not have the wherewithal to, both, set academic standards AND make sure those standards are consistent across the nation. Algebra in a Colorado high school, for example, may be much tougher than Algebra in Buttfuk, Texas.

In other words, the NCAA standards in, say Texas vs Colorado are like comparing apples and oranges. Yeah, Embree can use this to our advantage IF a recruit happens to be a talented kid AND values the education he will receive. But my perception of the Big Boyz is that most of their players could give a **** about academics.

Last edited:
Staying eligible at CU is impossible. We are screwed.
Oh bull****. That isn't my point. I do know Embree told 25 or so kids that if they didn't get their GPA up they would not be allowed to live off campus. But you are ****ing naive. However, if a school like Stanford can get it done, so can we. But I also believe CU has to be wiling to open "the window" a bit.

Last edited:
Back