What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wilner: DTV deal likely before football season barring last minute snags

Right there with you brutha! I'm calling Comcast again today after work. Seems a bit like pissing into the wind, but a man's gotta do, what a man's gotta do.

I'll do it too. Would have liked to see more leadership from the Houston allumni group sending out emails, and getting people to call.

4d makes no sense. direct cant spot beam the regional since the spot beams are mostly full and follow the FCC local tv markets not the regions define by the pac 12. So then, why limit programming that is already being delivered. or at least why not charge extra for it. national HD channel will have enough for 95% of P12 fans of any schools. That's the hold up. DTV knows no one will watch sports even as big as women's basketball, so why have 6 extra HD channels delivering that and even less followed sports? Internet streaming should satisfy the rest of the hardcore fans who can't miss field hockey and the synchronized swimming. Now if enough people cancel, they might budge, but according to wilner, the Cal @ USC game is likely the drop dead deadline, not this weekend.

It really is at the point where the wait sucks, and the more that cancel DTV the better the conference does in this. You might not do better yourself... but the more people that wait, the less pressure there is on DTV.

I'll do it too. Would have liked to see more leadership from the Houston allumni group sending out emails, and getting people to call.
I sent an email to the lead for the Houston chapter, asking for him to use his email distro list to advertise our need for calls to Comcast. We'll see if I get a response.

I have Dish and will wait and see what happens. No way in Hell I'll go back to Xfinity/Crapcast/Devilspawn. I'd rather listen to the away games on KOA with Zimmer and Butthead McGillacuddy.

I have Dish and will wait and see what happens. No way in Hell I'll go back to Xfinity/Crapcast/Devilspawn. I'd rather listen to the away games on KOA with Zimmer and Butthead McGillacuddy.
Out of curiosity, I am considering Comcast. I have Dish too, but am hopeful DTV comes through. What is so bad about Comcast...specifically.

Out of curiosity, I am considering Comcast. I have Dish too, but am hopeful DTV comes through. What is so bad about Comcast...specifically.
Lousy customer service mostly. After having Comcast for years, I decided to switch to Dish to get HD programming and I called Comcast to cancel. They said I'd have to make an appointment with them to have someone come out and disconnect, which I did.

Of course the D-Bags don't show up and I called to complain and they rescheduled. They blow this appt too. Again I called to complain and the whore-bag rep basically calls me a liar and I launch into a swearing tirade. That sealed the deal.

Two days later a Crapcast retention guy calls "Gee, we're sure sorry to see you go, can we do anything to change your mind?"

Yeah, go burn in the hottest fires in Hell.

I like Dish and when we've had equipment issues they have been great in fixing or replacing.

^^^^I have Dish now. Generally, I thought well of them until they let AMC go and now won't pickup P12, which are the two big things I want. Why pay for a satelite when I don't get the top two things I want?

Personally I've had decent service from Comcast and I actually like the variety of OnDemand options, however you definitely pay through the nose for that content.

The problem with the regional channels is that they were very much designed for the local delivery model of the cable companies rather then a national satellite distribution model. By splitting the content into a regional sports network model it lets the cable companies sell a lot more highly lucrative targeted local ads. They have gotten very good at targeting ads for specific markets and demographics and it makes for a much broader ad market to sell to the Dealin' Dougs and Jake Jabs in each market who purchase a significant portion of their local market ad time...particularly for sports programming folks are more likely to watch live with no ability to skip the ads. Those guys aren't looking to buy national ad time since they only sell to customers in northern CO. If they talked the Pac 12 into a model that makes them more money and happens to be more difficult for their satellite competitors to agree to (or costs them more money to implement) then the cable guys just view that as a nice bonus.

That also gives you a little insight into why some of the cable companies...cough...Comcast...cough...don't care as much about carrying the channel in some of their Eastern / mid-west markets. For them the benefit is mostly the ad time, and I think they may have thought that the ad time isn't as valuable in say Big 10 markets where the majority of the eyeballs will be watching the Big 10 games that might be running at the same time.

Last edited:
I've been watching all these posts about leaving DirecTV and/or getting discounts for threatening to leave. I will never leave DirecTV over something like the Pac 12 Network because we have an automatic sat dish on our camper that was a huge investment and that we use 30+ days a year.

I decided to take a crack anyway and call them and try to add the Pac 12 Network to my programming (not available) then tell them it is forcing me to cancel. Polite, firm but conflicted, was my tone - and that did the trick.

Free NFL Sunday Ticket ($299 value)
Free ESPN Gameplan ($119 value)
3 months Free Fox Sports Channels ($45 value)
Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade ($199 value - but it is onsale right now for $99) - this did require a 2 year commitment - but again, I'm not going anywhere
$240 discount over the next 12 months
That's $665 in free programming & equipment and a $240 discount for about 30 minutes of my time on the phone.

Thanks for keeping the stories going and convincing me to make that call!

PS - while I wouldn't leave DirecTV this year if they screw up and don't get the Pac 12 Network, I will be annoyed by next year if this isn't worked out!

I've been watching all these posts about leaving DirecTV and/or getting discounts for threatening to leave. I will never leave DirecTV over something like the Pac 12 Network because we have an automatic sat dish on our camper that was a huge investment and that we use 30+ days a year.

I decided to take a crack anyway and call them and try to add the Pac 12 Network to my programming (not available) then tell them it is forcing me to cancel. Polite, firm but conflicted, was my tone - and that did the trick.

Free HD DVR Receiver Upgrade ($199 value - but it is onsale right now for $99) - this did require a 2 year commitment - but again, I'm not going anywhere
That's $665 in free programming & equipment and a $240 discount for about 30 minutes of my time on the phone.

PS - while I wouldn't leave DirecTV this year if they screw up and don't get the Pac 12 Network, I will be annoyed by next year if this isn't worked out!

nothing another 700 dollars worth of programming and equipment can't fix perhaps? :rofl:

images

Damn. You cleaned up. I might need to call back. :lol:

Seriously. I was a little surprised. I just kept saying "Can you help me with this, too?" and they kept adding it on. Apparently I am labeled some type of premium customer because I have 6 receivers (but don't do any of the premium movie channels - only a mid-level channel lineup).

nothing another 700 dollars worth of programming and equipment can't fix perhaps? :rofl:

Yeah - they know they have me by the balls for 2 years at this point, so it might be tough to swing that again next year - but you don't get anything without asking!

Really? Its all about the money.

On July 27, 2011, the Pac-12 Conference announced agreements with Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Cox Communications, and Bright House Networks, each of whom intend to carry the Pac-12 Network and Pac-12 Digital Network at launch.

Scott moved the P12 studios into the same building as Comcast. The P12 approached the cable providers early in the game.

It is no surprise the cable companies will do everything in their power to gain competitive advantages over satellite providers.

Live sports is probably the best differentiator there is to drive subscribers to one carrier or another. The cable group isn't going to commit billions of dollars to Larry Scott only to have satellite companies undercut them.

And satellite providers are not going to shell out big money that puts them at a competitive disadvantage over the content cost structure enjoyed by cable unless its absolutely necessary.

The cable companies were banking on having the P12 first. They are enjoying the fruits of their strategic decission to support the P12 network sinse even before the P12 network existed. Comcast, Time Warner, Cox and Bright House took the initial risk and are being rewarded.

Now Dish and DTV are playing catch-up.

Please handle Uverse for us.....

Noice:thumbsup: For those that haven't done it, it's definitely worth a few calls. And when you are polite, courteous and trapped as a college football fanatic, wanting to watch your team, you'll find a representative who can help eventually:nod:

Don't forget, if they don't get the Pac in the relatively near future, you can suspend your account (for free) for up to 6 months.

I don't think DirecTV wants it's sports fans to go elsewhere for football season, but I ultimately will if they refuse to carry the Pac Network...

**** You, DTV. **** You.

Just got this email and my hopes up..

Important Information about your DIRECTV programming service

Dear chipwich,

beIN SPORT - NEW! AMERICA'S EXCLUSIVE INTERNATIONAL SPORTS CHANNEL

To show our commitment to delivering you the best value in TV entertainment, we're happy to announce that DIRECTV has added beIN SPORT to your Sports Pack in HD and SD on channel 620. beIN SPORT is the new home of some of the world's most exciting soccer, including Spain's "La Liga", Italy's "Series A" and France's "Ligue 1". beIN SPORT, is the multi-platform sports destination that brings to the passionate fan all the live game action, news, and analysis of the top leagues around the planet, as well as exclusive and never available before content. From European and Latin American live soccer games to news and in-depth analysis, beIN SPORT guarantees first row access to top soccer leagues and major sports properties - from live games to one-on-one interviews.

With the addition of beIN SPORT, GolTV on channel 627 will no longer be available effective 9/13 on Sports Pack.

DIRECTV carries more soccer than any other cable or satellite provider in the U.S. - we are your source for the most international soccer from North America, South America, and Europe.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

SOCCER ????? More soccer. I want my PAC-12 channels.

**** You, DTV. **** You.

Dear chipwich,

To show our commitment to delivering you the best value in TV entertainment, we're happy to announce that DIRECTV has added beIN SPORT to your Sports Pack in HD and SD on channel 620. beIN SPORT is the new home of some of the world's most exciting soccer, including Spain's "La Liga", Italy's "Series A" and France's "Ligue 1". beIN SPORT, is the multi-platform sports destination that brings to the passionate fan all the live game action, news, and analysis of the top leagues around the planet, as well as exclusive and never available before content. From European and Latin American live soccer games to news and in-depth analysis, beIN SPORT guarantees first row access to top soccer leagues and major sports properties - from live games to one-on-one interviews.

With the addition of beIN SPORT, GolTV on channel 627 will no longer be available effective 9/13 on Sports Pack.

DIRECTV carries more soccer than any other cable or satellite provider in the U.S. - we are your source for the most international soccer from North America, South America, and Europe.

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

Unfortunately there are some reports that this beIN channel is actually set up to lose money at the start and is paying DirectTV x amount per subscriber in order to avoid a carriage fight during their start-up period so they essentially jumped the line.

The lack of streaming within the Pac-12 network itself (i.e. the requirement that your cable company broadcast the Pac-12 network in order to access streaming content) is a major fail for this network.

I am a U-Verse subscriber. It is very doubtful that the Pac-12 network will be picked up in my particular residency area anytime soon. Perhaps the Pac-12 network itself will eventually be picked up, but I doubt all of the regional networks which would carry the content I want to see (i.e. the Colorado region) will be picked up anytime soon.

I would be more than happy to pay the Pac-12 network $19.99 a month (or more) to have access to all their streaming content.

**** You, DTV. **** You.

Dear chipwich,

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

Customer: Waiter, I'll have the Filet Mignon and the rice pilaf, and I'llstart with a Caesar salad.

Waiter: Here is our world famous linguine with clam suace. It is a very exciting dish loved by millions the world over. We take pride in delivering the very best of food choices and I am sure you will enjoy this dish.

Customer: Look, I just want a steak.

Waiter: We offer more variety of food choices on our menu than anyone else, and are committed to delivering the best choices, with exclusive access to our recipes and interesting conversations with the chef.

Customer: Are you learning impaired? I want a steak.

Waiter: We value your business and are sure you will enjoy....[customer leaves]

Seriously, are the satelite companies going full retard here?

**** You, DTV. **** You.

Dear chipwich,

Sincerely,

DIRECTV

I got the same e-mail and immediately called DirecTV to bitch that I could care less about soccer in Spain and want Pac 12 or else. The lady told me she's getting several complaints and assured me it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.

Customer: Waiter, I'll have the Filet Mignon and the rice pilaf, and I'llstart with a Caesar salad.

Waiter: Here is our world famous linguine with clam suace. It is a very exciting dish loved by millions the world over. We take pride in delivering the very best of food choices and I am sure you will enjoy this dish.

Customer: Look, I just want a steak.

Waiter: We offer more variety of food choices on our menu than anyone else, and are committed to delivering the best choices, with exclusive access to our recipes and interesting conversations with the chef.

Customer: Are you learning impaired? I want a steak.

Waiter: We value your business and are sure you will enjoy....[customer leaves]

Seriously, are the satelite companies going full retard here?

Yes.

In a world of watch anything, anytime, anywhere, it boggles the mind that nearly half the country is looking to be blocked out of the PAC12 Network.

I got the same e-mail and immediately called DirecTV to bitch that I could care less about soccer in Spain and want Pac 12 or else. The lady told me she's getting several complaints and assured me it's not a matter of IF but WHEN.
I actually got the same comment (maybe it was the same lady) she was in the SOUTH somewhere, could here it in her voice... her husband also a pac12 fan and was wanting the channel(s)....

c'mon DTV get this thing going!! one more wake up for REAL football to start not that baby self centered nfl crap

Back