What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

With a new QB, Brian White redux, with the QBs since

BuffsIn2009

We now go back in time, to a different era, with a different American president ... OK, I just want to go back three years, to 2006.

The Buffs had a three-way fight going for the starting QB job among the 2005 backup (James Cox), the player with the best arm who looked good in the 2005 bowl game in short duty (Brian White) and the best athlete (Bernard Jackson). And true freshman Cody Hawkins was ticketed to redshirt, which of course he did.

I set this up because in my four decades of being a CU fan, only twice have I felt an "uh-oh" moment when our starting QB was named. This year was one of them, when Cody started the CSU game after the offseason competition with Tyler Hansen. I really felt like CU would be better off with Hansen starting and Cody coming off the bench, which he did so well vs. Iowa State last year.

The other uh-oh moment was in 2006 when Cox beat out the other two returning QBs. Then in short order, White and the new coaching staff got crossways, and soon he was gone. And, of course, Cox's starting gig lasted one week: the infamous loss to Montana State, after which BJax did the starting in that 2-10 season.

Anyway, how do you guys feel like history would have been different if White won the job in 2006? I've heard Gary Barnett say White was being groomed to be the starter after Joel Klatt ran out of eligibility, but I've always wondered if that was the case, why did Cox, and not White, back up Klatt? Did anyone watch the spring/summer practices of 2006? Was White clearly the best of the bunch, or not necessarily? (That was one rare year when I did not attend a practice.)

I don't know if CU's offense is better off now that Hansen is the starter. Obviously, there will be growing pains as he gains experience. But I think it's best for the program that Cody is the backup for the rest of his career, and he may be very good in that role.

There was always too much drama (and not in a good way) with the coach's son playing QB. If things didn't go well, and they haven't, then the perception of nepotism can really mess things up -- even if it isn't true.

Oh, well. The Buffs will be interesting to watch from this point, in a similar way that they were in 2000 when Craig Ochs pulled off his redshirt after the season was basically in the tank.

This offense wont become any better until this o-line comes together and figures it out.....one thing that TH brings (well lot of things) is his running ability...

We now go back in time, to a different era, with a different American president ... OK, I just want to go back three years, to 2006.

The Buffs had a three-way fight going for the starting QB job among the 2005 backup (James Cox), the player with the best arm who looked good in the 2005 bowl game in short duty (Brian White) and the best athlete (Bernard Jackson). And true freshman Cody Hawkins was ticketed to redshirt, which of course he did.

I set this up because in my four decades of being a CU fan, only twice have I felt an "uh-oh" moment when our starting QB was named. This year was one of them, when Cody started the CSU game after the offseason competition with Tyler Hansen. I really felt like CU would be better off with Hansen starting and Cody coming off the bench, which he did so well vs. Iowa State last year.

The other uh-oh moment was in 2006 when Cox beat out the other two returning QBs. Then in short order, White and the new coaching staff got crossways, and soon he was gone. And, of course, Cox's starting gig lasted one week: the infamous loss to Montana State, after which BJax did the starting in that 2-10 season.

Anyway, how do you guys feel like history would have been different if White won the job in 2006? I've heard Gary Barnett say White was being groomed to be the starter after Joel Klatt ran out of eligibility, but I've always wondered if that was the case, why did Cox, and not White, back up Klatt? Did anyone watch the spring/summer practices of 2006? Was White clearly the best of the bunch, or not necessarily? (That was one rare year when I did not attend a practice.)

I don't know if CU's offense is better off now that Hansen is the starter. Obviously, there will be growing pains as he gains experience. But I think it's best for the program that Cody is the backup for the rest of his career, and he may be very good in that role.

There was always too much drama (and not in a good way) with the coach's son playing QB. If things didn't go well, and they haven't, then the perception of nepotism can really mess things up -- even if it isn't true.

Oh, well. The Buffs will be interesting to watch from this point, in a similar way that they were in 2000 when Craig Ochs pulled off his redshirt after the season was basically in the tank.

I never understood the fascination with BJax on the part of fans. I remember fans cursing Barnett because BJax was on the bench behind Klatt (way behind, BJax was 4th string). The competition between White and Cox was very close and BJax was way behind those two. Cox problem was that he got rattled and would press too hard. White left when he felt he was thrown under the bus by the staff. The staff said that BJax was going to play to give a change of pace but he ended up starting over the 2nd string guy...I don't know what would of been different but I would of liked to of seen White get a chance.

This offense wont become any better until this o-line comes together and figures it out.....one thing that TH brings (well lot of things) is his running ability...

:wtf:

Cody got sacked ZERO times the other night, and while Hansen got sacked 2x, the defense was just pinning their ears back and bringing the house.

You have to understand that one of the biggest things with playing with a new QB is the cadence of the snap count, it is probably one of the hardest thing to adjust to, and the O-Line had to do it in the middle of the game, with no previous knowledge he was going to play, with TEXAS bringing 7-8 guys from all directions.

I think if there is one department that has improved, it's the o-line. A friend of mine on the team even commented that it's not the O-Line's fault when Rodney can't find the hole, or when he does find it, trips over his own feet. The film room yesterday was very critical of Speedy.

Cody got sacked ZERO times the other night, and while Hansen got sacked 2x, the defense was just pinning their ears back and bringing the house.

You have to understand that one of the biggest things with playing with a new QB is the cadence of the snap count, it is probably one of the hardest thing to adjust to, and the O-Line had to do it in the middle of the game, with no previous knowledge he was going to play, with TEXAS bringing 7-8 guys from all directions.

I think if there is one department that has improved, it's the o-line. A friend of mine on the team even commented that it's not the O-Line's fault when Rodney can't find the hole, or when he does find it, trips over his own feet. The film room yesterday was very critical of Speedy.

Cody might not have gotten sacked, but this o-line falls apart with the running game, picking up the blitz and false starts after false starts. They lose the battle at the LOS...IMO

On what could have been with Brian White:

All you need to know is the circumstances under which he left. Dude left after the CSU game because he didn't get to start. Truth is, Cox was slated as the starter for CSU (after having a period during the MT St. game) but Hawk threw in BJax as a surprise. White just wasn't enough of a team player to do, say, what Hansen has done this year or what Cody will do the rest of this year - hold the clipboard and support your team. White did look good in the Champs Bowl, but he was also kind of a statue in the pocket. The Raiders tried him out but never signed him.

On what could have been with Brian White:

All you need to know is the circumstances under which he left. Dude left after the CSU game because he didn't get to start. Truth is, Cox was slated as the starter for CSU (after having a period during the MT St. game) but Hawk threw in BJax as a surprise. White just wasn't enough of a team player to do, say, what Hansen has done this year or what Cody will do the rest of this year - hold the clipboard and support your team. White did look good in the Champs Bowl, but he was also kind of a statue in the pocket. The Raiders tried him out but never signed him.

I have no opinion on any of this, but that last sentence really doesn't mean **** in the last few years! LOL In fact, it would make me think more of him as a player!

The OL got no push and our running game hasn't hit the 200 yd mark all year. The OL has been sub-par through the first 5 games. Most of rodney's yds have come on his own due to the breakdown of the OL.

In terms of history being different had White started in 2006, they possibly could have pulled out a few more wins but wouldn't have contended for a conference championship. Maybe would have still missed a bowl. QB may have seemed like the biggest issue that year, but there were a lot of growing pains that led to 2-10. Changing one player may have gotten them a 5 win season at best.

Brian White's hand was forced to say the least. He was told he could keep his scholarship but would never see the field. He then requested a release and was given one. He shared the starting job at Portland State in Mouse Davis'es run-and shoot offense and he put up big numbers. I posted his PSU numbers once on Netbuffs and a bunch of Hawkins apologists had a Hissy Fit.

Went to the Raiders as a free agent and didn't make the team.

Strong armed, accurate QB. "Couldn't remember the plays" at CU but learned the Mouse Davis(/Leach) offense pretty quickly.

He was run off by Hawkins so that Cody Hawkins could start as a RS Fr, the year White would have been a Senior.

Brian White's hand was forced to say the least. He was told he could keep his scholarship but would never see the field. He then requested a release and was given one. He shared the starting job at Portland State in Mouse Davis'es run-and shoot offense and he put up big numbers. I posted his PSU numbers once on Netbuffs and a bunch of Hawkins apologists had a Hissy Fit.

Strong armed, accurate QB. "Couldn't remember the plays" at CU but learned the Mouse Davis(/Leach) offense pretty quickly.

He was run off by Hawkins so that Cody Hawkins could start as a RS Fr, the year White would have been a Senior.

Maybe you have insider info, but I have a really hard time believing he was told he would never see the field - even if a coach thought he'd never play, what good would it do to tell the player that unless he wanted him to transfer.

I'm not buying this.

He wanted him to transfer. He made it so that the guy could do nothing BUT transfer.

My recollection is that White won the starting job in summer camp. And that was the reason that it was shocking to see Cox start. It was White, Bjax and then Cox. After starting the second string QB over the first THEN the third over the first for the CSU game, I could see White just saying F-U and leaving the team. If Cox was the legitimate starter after summer camp, why didn't he see the field one time for the rest of the season? Bjax was terrible. Fact was that White was named the starter and Hawkins just wanted to F with him.

Losing White, just like PAHI, I had the sickening feeling that the team's goose was cooked for the season. And that turned out to be the case. I followed BW's career at Portland State. His coach, Jerry Glanville, loved him as did Mouse Davis (which is probably why he got a shot with the Raiders). He put up terrific numbers in the Run 'n Shot. There was another Buff on the team with him. Can't remember his name right now but he was the WR from Louisiana that transfered the year after White left.

We waited three years to see Brian play. He was 6'5" and had a gun with great accuracy (check his numbers on the PSU site if you don't believe it, they are huge). He should have been the two year starter.

And for those who say that he quit on the team. Since then Ballenger left so why doesn't he get criticized for "quiting on the team." JFly left, same deal. Lagrone Shields just left, where is the criticism of him? No, Hawk ran him off and by doing so we lost a two year starter.

My recollection is that White won the starting job in summer camp. And that was the reason that it was shocking to see Cox start. It was White, Bjax and then Cox. After starting the second string QB over the first THEN the third over the first for the CSU game, I could see White just saying F-U and leaving the team. If Cox was the legitimate starter after summer camp, why didn't he see the field one time for the rest of the season? Bjax was terrible. Fact was that White was named the starter and Hawkins just wanted to F with him.

Losing White, just like PAHI, I had the sickening feeling that the team's goose was cooked for the season. And that turned out to be the case. I followed BW's career at Portland State. His coach, Jerry Glanville, loved him as did Mouse Davis (which is probably why he got a shot with the Raiders). He put up terrific numbers in the Run 'n Shot. There was another Buff on the team with him. Can't remember his name right now but he was the WR from Louisiana that transfered the year after White left.

We waited three years to see Brian play. He was 6'5" and had a gun with great accuracy (check his numbers on the PSU site if you don't believe it, they are huge). He should have been the two year starter.

And for those who say that he quit on the team. Since then Ballenger left so why doesn't he get criticized for "quiting on the team." JFly left, same deal. Lagrone Shields just left, where is the criticism of him? No, Hawk ran him off and by doing so we lost a two year starter.

The White dismissal has made it impossible for me to have respect for Dan Hawkins during most of his time here, regardless of any extenuating circumstances. The poor football coaching and the Cody Hawkins soap opera have not been surprising. Hawkins has been truly a terrible hire and CU officials can count themselves lucky that attendance has not cratered at the games and that they can still get out of this situation without the program crashing financially if they act with some sense of urgency.

Played against Brian White in high school and was never convinced he was a great QB.

Would've given us something we haven't had in a long time though.. a big guy with a strong arm. He was a statue in the pocket though.

White did NOT win the job after fall camp, Cox did. We all expected Cox to win it, and heading into camp he was the odds on favorite. Then we started hearing about how the gap was narrowing and it was a three-man race, and then we hear that Cox will be the starter about a week before the first game (the game that shall not be mentioned).

I remember being shocked at the time, because everything I'd ever seen from Cox was pretty awful.

PAHI, what makes you think that BW was dismissed? Particularly after the heavy criticism he received from the Hawkins defenders for "quitting on the team." Even SDBuff said the other day that White "quit." You are the only person I've ever read that said that he was dismissed.

Also, I don't think anyone expected Cox to be the starter. Even Barnett said that he was surprised that White wasn't the starter and he would have started for him if he remained the coach.

Again, I believe that BW was so f'd with by Hawkins that he left the program. And if Cox was the starter out of fall camp, why didn't he see the field again for the rest of the season particularly since Bjax was so bad. Why would anyone bench the person who won the starting position for the entire season for one bad game. The answer is that Hawkins used both Cox and Bjax to f with White to the point where he ran him off the team.

PAHI, what makes you think that BW was dismissed? Particularly after the heavy criticism he received from the Hawkins defenders for "quitting on the team." Even SDBuff said the other day that White "quit." You are the only person I've ever read that said that he was dismissed.

Also, I don't think anyone expected Cox to be the starter. Even Barnett said that he was surprised that White wasn't the starter and he would have started for him if he remained the coach.

Again, I believe that BW was so f'd with by Hawkins that he left the program. And if Cox was the starter out of fall camp, why didn't he see the field again for the rest of the season particularly since Bjax was so bad. Why would anyone bench the person who won the starting position for the entire season for one bad game. The answer is that Hawkins used both Cox and Bjax to f with White to the point where he ran him off the team.

Cox broke his thumb early in the third game. White had already left. To save Cody's redshirt, Patrick Devenny was the emergency QB if BJax went down.

Cox broke his thumb early in the third game. White had already left. To save Cody's redshirt, Patrick Devenny was the emergency QB if BJax went down.

Saving that redshirt really seems like a terrible idea now, doesn't it?

No way Cox broke a thumb. You totally made that up. Cox played in the third game? No I don't think so.

Well, I was wrong about the third game. It was later in the season against KU that he broke his thumb.

James Cox, Colorado's second-team quarterback, broke his right thumb in the second quarter while spelling starter Bernard Jackson on a play, leaving tight end Patrick Devenny as the Buffs' backup.[/quote]

Linky

Cox did see some spot duty against CSU, TTU and KU.

EDIT - you beat me to it.

There really wasn't a good reason to play someone instead of BJax. His QB rating in 2006 was Cody-esque... and he added over 600 yards rushing. Amazing he wasn't All-Big 12, really.

My White story is from a few folks who are very credible. My disclaimer is that I was obviously not present when anything was said. Remember, at the time White (a Junior) was the only thing standing between Cody and Cody's chance to be a 4 yr starter.

Thanks very much for your earlier comments about White's time at PSU; I followed it too. I'm happy for him that he got to show his stuff, and that he did very, very well.

Back