1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woelk's Best and Worst

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by BuffNut99, Jul 8, 2010.

1. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

I thought a pretty darn good list:

PS - The "unnamed receiver" was Chris Anderson, and no I haven't forgiven...

2. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

the 03 men's hoops team beat two Final Four teams in Boulder that year: not only KU, but UT. That Buff team is one missed Michel Morandais FT in Lincoln from being in the top half of the NCAA bracket with a chance to really have a shot to make some noise (10-6 instead of 9-7 in conference play). Instead, in the 7-10 game IIRC, get the worst possible draw you can get in the NCAA: a talented Tom Izzo team that underachieved in the reg season. for reference: see last year's tournament. at 10-6 in conference, you are the 6 or 7 seed.....not the 10 playing Sparty.

Worst: in the same hoops related vein, i'd add the Patton team that beat Tech head to head, tied with them in the conference standings....and get passed over for Bobby Knight's team when the NCAA invites go out. Thanks a lot ratings and Dance hype machine.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010
  3. Clean Undies

Clean Undies Flagship of the 12-Pac Club Member

Best- 2008 CU wins a recruiting battle for the top RB prospect in the country. After a much publisized recruiting battle with Texas, Darrell Scott commits to becoming a Buff during ESPN's live coverage of national signing day.

Worst: In 2009, Darrell Scott announces his decission to quit the football team in the middle of his sophomore season. After nine months in limbo, Scott posts on Facebook that he'll be transferring to the University of South Florida. During his short stay in Boulder, Scott earned limited playing time behind Rodney Stewart. Coaches attributed absence from the starting line up to various injuries.

4. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

I would argue that losing to Montana State was far more embarrassing than losing to one of the best college football teams of all time. I think that is simple the author protecting Hawkins.

5. rodrigo

rodrigo Well-Known Member

Relax, chief. I don't think the list was in order from most to least.

6. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

I don't know about that. The MSU game wasn't televised so people only knew about it by hearing. The 70-3 loss was during the Big 12 championship game that was watched by millions. Plus it was right after the big loss to the nubs that made our fans look like idots.

7. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

Woelk is good.

8. CsquaredCC

CsquaredCC Well-Known Member

Doesn't any list like this have to include the loss to CSU in 2009 @ Folsom? A CSU team that ended up being the worst team in the history of the MWC. I know Montana State was "embarrasing", but you guys had to put up with our sh!t for an entire offseason. :)

9. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

I disagree, we were the North division champions and got throttled on a national stage by 67 points. I don't care if they were one of the best teams of all time, that was completely pathetic. No other game better displayed the talent disparity betwen the Big 12 South and North during the last decade.

Montana St, while awful, was the first game under an entirely new coaching staff with a roster talented enough to lose to UT by 67. In retrospect it was terrible because it proved to be a sign of things to come, but if Hawk was winning 8-9 games a season now it would be a small deal attributed to the lack of talent left by GB. I actually think the CSU loss last year was worse than Montana St.

10. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

Fact is no DH win should be on the list (including OU) because his losses are far worse. Hard to pick between losing to little brother, Montana State, Toledo, etc.

Simple fact is when we got thumped by TX it launched the DH era. That is equivalent to getting throttled twice in one game and helped launch one of the worst CU football eras in history. Hands down the worst moment for CU in the Big XII.

11. OKCBuff

OKCBuff Well-Known Member

Well, that's a little much, CUFan. I agree overall, but the OU win can not be ignored. That win, in hindsight, is totally meaningless now, but at the time it was seen as THE moment things looked like they'd turn. It never happened, but I think many people saw that win as "Finally, this is the BSU coach we hired!" moment.

12. CUFan

Just hard for me to put a meaningless win up there as one of the best moments. At the time it seemed like a turning point, but as you stated that was clearly not true.

Wouldn't the win against K State in 2001 in Manhattan qualify as far superior?

13. SINKRATZ

I don't care who was coaching, beating the #3 ranked Sooners after going down 24-7 was a GREAT moment. The fact that the team has never matched that level of play almost makes the OU win that much more impressive. I wouldn't call a game like that meaningless.

14. CUFan

How could it not be meaningless? What did we gain from that win? The rally was a great rally and a moment to remember, but let's be honest it was a fluke.

15. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Huh? Fluke? Does CU in your name stand for Creighton?

16. CUFan

Was that win the turning point for future success? Did we consistently beat teams that were as good or even worse than us? I ask again, what did we gain from that win?

Without a doubt, that season was Hawkins best. There were some good wins, OU included, and even the comeback against Alabama was fun. There was cause for hope by the end of that season. However, that was fools gold. Therefore, it is hard for me to even consider putting a meaningless game in a list of GREAT moments.

Good win in my book. Team showed a lot heart.

17. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Based on what has happened since that day, I'd consider that win to be a fluke as well. He's right, what did that win accomplish? What was supposed to be a turning point, like the 1986 NU game, turned out to be a fun game to watch, but really nothing of significance to the program itself. We turned around and lost to Iowa State a couple weeks after that game. Meaningless.

18. dply

This seems really familar to me. It sounds like the cu fan that was hoping we would lose so that we wouldn't go to a bowl game and the players could get healthy.

19. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

the texas game was worse... montana state sucked... and it was bad... but losing to tejas 70-3... even the 58-0 shutout was worse than montana state... the team on the field vs MSU was a weak team to begin with... and add a qb who shouldnt have been out there to begin with...and if you remember correctly... we were begging for hawk to take the redshirt off cody...

20. 92Buff

92Buff Well-Known Member

It was truly embarrassing. However, the worst part was watching a bunch of morons jumping around on our field. Nice security...Hope we get to play up in Fort Collins sometime so we can all take a giant crap in the middle of that field.

21. Clean Undies

CU fans gained about 1,000 days of scoreboard over the Sooners. That might not mean much in the big scheme of things, but it's pretty damn meaningful when talking football in my neck of the woods.

22. buff4bcs1985

ill drop a deuce in the middle of hughes

23. dply

No one would notice.

24. dply

So you agree with me? :lol:

25. Clean Undies

Sorry. Nope. The fact is that CSU is a meaningless game. CSU beats CU around 30% of the time. So it's not a complete shock. And due to how the BCS is structured, the loss to CSU has no impact on the conference results. As you know, winning the conference guarantees CU a birth in the BCS regardless of what happens during OOC. A loss to K-State or ISU is a bigger blow than the silly and meaningless loss to the lammies.

I also want to point out that CSU fans acted like a bunch of whiney low-rent punks when they 'boycotted' the 2009 game because it wasn't played at Invesco. Having 3K lammies in attendance (200 according to Dave Plati) isn't nearly as annoying as being overrun by 10k Husker fans who are neather cheap nor indifferent about their football team.

If it weren't for the dance on Ralphie, this year's game would be completely meaningless. Fairchild got the team ready to play and CSU deserved to win. Congrats.

Office Smack is the only downside with the CSU loss. Fortunately, not many CU grads stoop to work in the same vocations as Colorado State's former students. Fortunately for me, the only time I get greif about CSU's loss last season is limited and I can fix the problem by ordering my pizza from somebody else.

92Buff and dply like this.
  26. CUBUFF80

CUBUFF80 No Stinkin' Title Club Member

Who cares if it was meaningless, it was a great win for CU. I didn't realize that importance or lack thereof, was indicative of a team deserving to win. My definition of a fluke is some bizarre play, that had nothing to do with effort, significantly impacting the outcome. As I recall, this was a hard fought win by the Buffs, nothing "flukey" about it.

27. SINKRATZ

Well if we lose that game we end up with a losing record in the Big 12 and don't go to a bowl game, so it was definitely not meaningless.

A moment can be great on it's own merits, it doesn't have to lead to something greater to be significant. Do you also discount the Big 12 title victory since we went on to lay an egg in the Fiesta bowl?

28. CUFan

No I don't because we didn't lay an egg. We got spanked by a better team. At team that clearly should have been in NC game.

Not trying to get everyone worked up here, I just don't think it was one of the GREAT moments. Good to be sure. Just my opinion.

29. Clean Undies

Semantics. "Great" in the Big 12 < Great in the Big 8.

Woelk might have used "Good" or "Didn't suck" instead.

30. buff4bcs1985

yes i agreed with you.... i quoted the wrong person sorry dply

Last edited: Jul 8, 2010