1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

woelk's column and the hawk and hagan vids...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, Nov 4, 2009.

1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

just watched those vids. woelk's column was remarkably unilluminating and very cautious. i found it odd. but those videos... hawkins looked positively shell-shocked and confused. hagan appeared pissed off and surprised. those were interesting.

2. BuffNut99

BuffNut99 Club Member Club Member

like this?

Attached Files:

3. Gateway

Gateway Well-Known Member

Truthfully, I didn't even recognize Hawkins at first...he looked like an old man! Weird. As to Hagan, I gotta say, he has cute dimples...but then, making a big deal of getting the news via text message, the most modern, quickest way of communication or getting pissed off about it, is silly. If Scott had called him on the phone, it may have gone straight to voice mail and who knows when he would have seen it. Texting was the best method of getting him the news of his decision.....as I said on NBs, what would have been better? A telegram? Morse code? :huh:

4. Buff fanatic

Buff fanatic Well-Known Member

Telling him in person??? :confused::confused::confused:

5. Chilly

Chilly Well-Known Member

Uh... I don't know. Maybe actually finding time to meet with him in his office and discussing his decision face to face?

6. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Didn't Hawk say that when he heard first from Hagan, he sent him a text back? Why not call him if texting is so weak? Who really cares, he's gone now and we have to move on.. next order of business, a new head coach!

7. Gateway

Gateway Well-Known Member

And how do we know when he could have managed a meeting before the news leaked out?

He let him know ASAP before he heard it from some other source.

8. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

he looks like a guy at the very end of his rope. i think he's done, emotionally and mentally.

i feel bad for him on a personal level. he seems like a good man who is trying his best. he's not like chuck fairbanks who was just here to take our money, drink our alcohol, and play golf.

hawkins is just over his head. that's got to be a tough thing for him to realize. i suspect he's got enough self-awareness to know he's over his head.

9. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

Yeah, I felt bad for him when I saw that interview. He genuinely came here to win games and hasn't. It's not like he hasn't tried to, he is simply in over his head. He has to know that he needs 4 wins or he's out of here and that has to be eating away at him.

10. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

That needs to have the 'WHY CAN'T EVERYONE LEAVE DARRYL ALONE!!!' attacehd to it. And some running mascera.:lol:

11. buffsfan01

buffsfan01 Member

:smile2:

12. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Hawk has aged considerably in the past 2 1/2 months. I truly wish him no ill will and have nothing personal against him.

13. MSBuff

MSBuff Well-Known Member

:nod:

14. Scotch

Scotch Registered User Club Member Junta Member

:yeahthat:

15. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Yup, some good points there. Looks like he's at the very end of his rope and after almost 4 full seasons it appears that he is indeed in over his head.

16. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

Next time I fire someone I am going to do it by text message.

that is all.

17. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

The haircut thread started out as just fashion commentary, but you can actually see what happened this year in his face. I don't wish Dan Hawkins any ill will. I see pain here. I still think he's a nice guy who wants the best for the school. I do.

http://www.allbuffs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39439

18. BinaryBuff

BinaryBuff mmmm...beer Club Member

It's been said already, but I've got to say that I feel sad for the guy on a personal level after watching the video. He clearly seems to be in over his head and this DS stuff seems to just be the straw that broke the camels back. he's a good man, and he has tried to do things "the right way". I appreciate what he's done here (in cleaning up the program's image after the "scandal") and wanted him to succeed, and I wish him the best in the future. That said, I do think it's time for him to go.

19. sliderNcider

sliderNcider MacLovin Club Member

I hope Darrell's hot ass girl dumps him over txt... Everything else was all class by him tho imo

20. 96 Buff

96 Buff Resident Commie Bastard Club Member Junta Member

Like Liver said, I think it's clear Hawkins did not come here merely for a paycheck and doesn't give a **** about how poorly the team is doing, like Faribanks was. While the team's performance is certainly similar to the Fairbanks era in terms of wins vs. losses, I honestly don't think it's intentional. I can see that on Hawk's face. And it makes me very sad.

While I do believe a separation between CU and Hawk is necessary, and the sooner the better, I feel we as a fan base have largely been far too personal in expressing our disappointment/frustration/anger with Hawk. I realize that it's easy to cross the line from critiquing a job performance into personal insults; I am guilty of that, and I am very sorry.

Let's try to make this divorce a little more amicable.

Waldo likes this.
  21. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

I was impressed by the Boise State fans who write about Hawkins' slide from favor, and that so many were happy to see him go, and happier that Peterson took over. I didn't pay attention to their ramblings when Hawk was leaving - I wish I had - but they now proclaim "everyone (fans) was happy to see him go" and only feared that Coach Peterson would leave with him.

I am not ambivalent about Hawkins' tenure here, but I do believe we either buy into a coach for a long period of time or dump him quickly - in for a penny, in for a pound, so to speak.

I'm just amazed that, on the several "next coach?" threads, so many new flash-in-the-pan names are touted as The Next Big Thing.