1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Woelk's take on todays game

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by TheRoyale90, Oct 10, 2009.

1. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

Huh... I wouldn't have figured that Neill would plagiarize us :)smile2:) to this extent but it's nice to see him put it in print.

"This, of course, would require CU`s coaching staff to modify its strategy. For whatever reason, the Buffs have not been able to consistently put the ball in the hands of the players who have the best chance of picking up yards after the catch. Receivers such as Markques Simas and Andre Simmons and utility-back Brian Lockridge have had precious few touches.
    Part of the reason is that they`ve been the target of long balls -- Simas and Simmons in particular. CU needs to change that strategy and let quarterback Cody Hawkins shorten the field. Dink and dunk. Put CU`s best athletes in space and let them make plays. Get them involved."

I'd like to note for the record that I disagree with the dink and dunk idea. I was watching 'Playbook' on the NFL network last night and they were talking about how a true power running game can only be effective with the threat of the deep ball. This seems logical to me and an extension of that thought is that if you're running a west coast offense you can't also have a power running game. The reason would be in my opinion that the defense will know that whether you're running or passing everything is going to be within 5 yards from the line of scrimmage. They load the box and you get stuffed no matter what you try. Sound familiar? If we could stretch the field Speedy and Scott would run wild. I know this falls under the "if wishes were horses" category but the point is valid I think.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_13531090

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I don't agree with that. I think the model in the NFL has been to go to the shorter passing game. The Broncos do that. They don't have a deep threat, really, yet run the ball effectively.

3. AlferdJasper

AlferdJasper Well-Known Member

Can't argue with 4-0 with their methodical movement down the field. Nothing flashy, just solid wins.

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Yep. The NFL is a dink and dunk league for the most part. That said, you do need the threat of a long passing game or at least the threat of your WRs to break the long one. We really have neither right now. That play to Brandon Marshall last week is a perfect example of what the Buffs are lacking right now.

5. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Denver and CU have the same problem: A QB with a raggety arm. :lol:

6. TheRoyale90

TheRoyale90 Member

That's a fair point, I never even thought of the Broncos while I was applying an NFL theory to the college game. The thing is the 'Playbook' guys (Sterling Sharpe and company) were talking about the things the Raiders do wrong. Since they've always had the philosophy of power running and vertical passing Sterling said they needed to get their quarterback to actually play the position and those two young speedster receivers on the same page with him and then it would open things up for Darren McFadden. Anyway, you guys are right that the NFL is a dink and dunk league but I think college still provides the opportunity to mix between the tackles running with play action and deep passes and be successful.

7. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Woelk is a douche bag.. Waste of time even reading the idiot..

We suck Woelk, I don't care if they bring in the chuck and duck, Ground Chuck, Marty Ball, West Coast, or whatever offense you can name, WE STINK..