1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Women Sports

Discussion in 'University of Colorado News and Olympic Sports' started by dyemeduke, Oct 4, 2009.

1. dyemeduke

dyemeduke Well-Known Member

Barringer and CU XCountry are doing well - both teams obviously. She may take the personal title at national's.

Nikki Marshall scored 4 goals by herself in a quick span, and the women's soccer team is doing okay - not as great as I was hoping, but they are undefeated in Big 12 play.

So our football team sucks, and we don't know how our men's bball team will do exactly. We still have some great athletes at CU. Even though they don't make revenue for the AD, I'm proud that they're doing so well. I wish they got more publicity in light of our struggles on the football field.

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

CU is very, very lucky to have someone like Barringer.

3. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

As few sports as CU currently has, there is no excuse not to be excellent at all of them.

Cross Country (Men & Women), Tennis and Soccer all look good this year.

Skiing (M & W) is always good.

Track & Field (M & W) should be good this year.

Basketball (M & W) should be significantly improved this year.

Golf (M & W) may not be as good as last year, but is definitely improving overall.

Volleyball looks a couple years away, but I like the new coach.

4. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

I'm actually wondering what has happened to the women's cross-country team. I think they will struggle to qualify for nationals.

The men are still good, but not a real threat to win the national championship IMO.

5. dyemeduke

:) ...you're so spoiled BB with our XCountry...

I agree with you a little, but to give them credit: Men are currently ranked 5 and Women are 19. I still think Wetmore is the best coach at CU, followed by Hempen, and I think that he could pull his squad to perform well at Nationals. I do think they make it in.

Barringer also may take the individual title in my opinion. I don't follow XCountry too much, but I know her times are pretty damn good.

6. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

No doubt the bar is set high at CU. Anything less than a podium finish is a disappointment. Just seems weird to see what has happened with the women lately, little to no depth behind Barringer. She is the type of runner you can almost automatically score a "1" every meet, yet they're 19th in the country.

The men are deeper, they just lack the top end guys like Ritzenhein and Torres in the past. A top 5 finish at nationals would be a great finish IMO.

7. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

CU Volleyball won a huge match, beating Texas Tech. This pushes them out of a tie for the cellar, leaving the RedR's as the conference's only winless team.

8. dyemeduke

The greatest CU Women's Soccer player ever to suit up for CU just finished went through her senior day. Nikki Marshall really does CU proud, and I hope she goes a long way with the National team. The team overall didn't do as well as I thought they would (not that I'm a women's soccer expert), and they may not get into the NCAA tournament. There's still hope though if they do really well in the Big 12 Tournament.

Congrats Nikki on a stellar career at CU and an even better career after.

9. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Big props to Nikki! I hope to see her in the World Cup some day.

CU got a **** draw in the Big 12 Tourney. As the #3 seed, we got Texas after they dropped. Playing them in San Antonio is gonna be tough.