What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's basketball: CU Buffs beat Wyoming behind strong second half

A strong second half pushed the Colorado women's basketball team past a good Wyoming team, 68-59, on Wednesday night at Coors Events Center.

CU (5-0) had runs of 14-3 and 9-1 in the second half to hand the Cowgirls (4-1) their first loss of the season.
Chucky Jeffery had her 21st career double-double, finishing with a game-high 21 points and 10 rebounds. She also had five steals and three assists.

Arielle Roberson scored 14 points and Jen Reese added 10 for the Buffs.

Defenscively CU played pretty well in limiting Wyo's 3 point attempts and keeping the Cowgirls to 15 points below their season average of 74 ppg, but on the other end CU was inconsistent with perimeter shooting which slowed them down a bit in terms of putting the game out of reach earlier.

Chucky had a tremendous game on both ends. She scored 21 points and at times was the Buffs' only real scoring option. Oh, she also had 10 rebounds and 5 steals.

Maybe not the best game out of the Buffs, but Wyoming is solid. Up next is a road trip to Illinois.

Solid win, Wyoming is always a tough out and it's great to be 5-0!

This is a HUGE upcoming game at Illinois. If we want to be serious about making the Big Dance, then we need to get this one. Illinois is 3-2 and has had the crap kicked out of them by a good Iowa State team, and also lost to Bradley. We need to get this one. These are the games NCAA Tournament caliber teams go on the road and win.

What does it say about Arielle that her 14 points last night were a season LOW? Girl is a stud.

One thing last night showed about Arielle is that she needs to learn how to quickly pass out of a double or triple team. Wyoming obviously had known what to expect from her and would surround her often when she had the ball in the low post. Several times she still tried to make a shot and ended up turning the ball over. This is a defensive move she will be seeing a lot of (safe prediction there) and she needs to figure out how to quickly get the ball to her unguarded teammate(s).

I'm really enjoying watching this team. Arielle is so much fun to watch play. Chucky was back to being Chucky last night and its fun to watch her create and execute. Jen Reese has a really sweet little fade away shot and short range jumper. MMP has been limited becasue of her back but has played well when in and is hitting some 3's again this season. Just a nice all-around team effort and they can create some havoc when they crankup the defense.

Their next home game is the front end of a double header next Wednesday. I would encourage any of you who are going to the men's game to come early if you can and cheer on the women as they play the CSEwes. This team deserves to be watched by more than the 1500 or so who were there last night.

BeBe,

Recognition out of the post is something that comes in time with the freshmen. I noticed some of the same struggles with Josh Scott on Tuesday night. Sometimes, it's a matter of being in too big of a hurry. If that double comes fast, you have to either hit your spot up shooter or cutter (depending on where it comes from). But if it doesn't come, you have to wait for that cutter to clear so that your post move doesn't run you into a double team that wasn't coming if you'd been a little more patient. Scott made some adjustments as the game progressed and will continue to get better with this as the season goes on. I'm sure it's the same for Arielle. So much learning going on right now.

I am currently in Champaign and will be attending the Illinois game.

One thing I noticed in the Wyoming game is that Arielle played like there was no tomorrow in the 2nd half after sitting much of the first half with foul trouble. Kid is going to be a great one.

Ashley Wilson had her knee scoped yesterday and they hope to have her back in January. A-Wil provides a spark off the bench but due to her knee and asthma, can't go for long stints. I could see she was really hurting in Saturday's game from the courtside seat Ceal was kind of enough to let me try. That gave me an entirely different perspective on the game. I had no idea of just how rough women's basketball is. There is a lot more pushing and shoving and grabbing than I see online or from my 6th row seat. When it is 5 ft in front of you, you can't miss it. I did have to throw the ball back to the ref once.

When I checked in to the hotel here, they didn't even know the women had a basketball game tomorrow but did know they played last night. They didn't know if they won or lost. Sad. They did give me a map with directions marked to Assembly Hall.

It was a nice 4 1/2 drive here. Fog gave way to sun so I could clearly see the farmland. I miss the mountains. There is no scenery in the Midwest aside from the brylcreem like signs about gun control that I saw.

I did receive a tweet asking if I needed a ticket but director of basketball operations had already taken care of that. Very nice of CU to do that.

Back