What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's BBall: Other teams thread

BoCoBBall

Banned
BANNED
I was very impressed with the long run to the final four that Washington made last year. Getting to the Final Four is something Ceal Berry never pulled off. I don't know much about CSU but it seems like they enter the conference tournament every year completely untested, and they were one and done in the NCAA tournament last year. The year before they lost to Northern Colorado in the WNIT.

Very curious to see if Washington really is going to have that much of a drop off, and see what comes of this game tonight. I don't know where CSU would be if they played in the Pac-12. I like the story lines of this game. It was just crazy to me that last season two players had left what had become a non-competitive Buffs program to transfer, and both ended up in the NCAA tournament.

I'm not sure if the CSU program isn't just fools gold though. Doesn't it seem like the Rams are always winning a ton of games with just a loss or a handful at most, and then lose their conference tournament, or to a WNIT opponent they should easily beat, or the first round of the NCAA tournament?

If CSU does eventually get into the Big-12, can CSU be competitive against the likes of Baylor? I don't think so, honestly.

1) CSU isn't getting in to the B12, and 2) They would be crushed by Baylor. Not that they haven't put together decent teams, but our weak teams of the past few years have run with them, and then gone with a win or 2 in conference play. Washington had a cinderella run last year. Not that they weren't good, but that run was an anomaly, it's not like they ran the P12 last year or anything.

It seems every year Colorado is producing a player ranked in the top-20 recruits nationally, and that doesn't sign in-state.

In 2016 it was Mesa Ridge HIgh School's (Colorado Springs) 6'4" post Kylee Shook, who was #17 on the espnW 100 list. She signed with L'ville and probably didn't give the Buffs a consideration. While she was ranked the 17th best player in the nation, players 1-16 didn't actually have a higher scouting grade (at least on espnW). The part that makes you realize just how far the Buffs have to go to become relevant nationally? That the BEST player Colorado has produced in awhile was actually the 2nd best recruit for L'ville in 2016, they also signed another 6'4" post player from that same class who was ranked 13th. At CU Shook would have been the best player on the team. At L'ville she only played in 17 minutes in the first game against UT-Martin and had 8pts, 3reb, 1blk. In her 2nd game she played 19 mins vs Belmont and had 4pts, 1stl, 1ast.

For 2017 Grandview High School's (Aurora) Michaela Onyenwere is a 5-11 small forward ranked #10th on the espnW 100 list. What really hurts is that she's signing with UCLA! A Pac-12 rival to CU. Both Stanford and UCLA are getting top-15 players in the '17 class.

I realize that JR has a work in progress to rebuild the CU program, but realistically what actually needs to happen for CU to get serious consideration from top in-state recruits? The top players in the country are still going to go to Tenn, UCONN, Baylor, Stanford, etc. but what does CU really need to achieve to get serious consideration from top-100 players in-state to stay and play for CU (academics aside)?

It seems every year Colorado is producing a player ranked in the top-20 recruits nationally, and that doesn't sign in-state.

In 2016 it was Mesa Ridge HIgh School's (Colorado Springs) 6'4" post Kylee Shook, who was #17 on the espnW 100 list. She signed with L'ville and probably didn't give the Buffs a consideration. While she was ranked the 17th best player in the nation, players 1-16 didn't actually have a higher scouting grade (at least on espnW). The part that makes you realize just how far the Buffs have to go to become relevant nationally? That the BEST player Colorado has produced in awhile was actually the 2nd best recruit for L'ville in 2016, they also signed another 6'4" post player from that same class who was ranked 13th. At CU Shook would have been the best player on the team. At L'ville she only played in 17 minutes in the first game against UT-Martin and had 8pts, 3reb, 1blk. In her 2nd game she played 19 mins vs Belmont and had 4pts, 1stl, 1ast.

For 2017 Grandview High School's (Aurora) Michaela Onyenwere is a 5-11 small forward ranked #10th on the espnW 100 list. What really hurts is that she's signing with UCLA! A Pac-12 rival to CU. Both Stanford and UCLA are getting top-15 players in the '17 class.

I realize that JR has a work in progress to rebuild the CU program, but realistically what actually needs to happen for CU to get serious consideration from top in-state recruits? The top players in the country are still going to go to Tenn, UCONN, Baylor, Stanford, etc. but what does CU really need to achieve to get serious consideration from top-100 players in-state to stay and play for CU (academics aside)?

It is pretty simple actually. She has to win. It won't be easy. She also has to recruit well. She is in on what could be a couple of top guards next year if Robinson's sister wants to come.

Who are all of these 'Top 20' recruits??????
It may seem like CU is missing a lot of high level recruits, but it isn't the case at all.
Here is what you can do: Go back to 2010 and make a list of all the recruits from Colorado who went to other schools and that you think would have started at CU. Post them here for me because I don't think they exist but I'll be happy to be corrected.

CSU is in a conference that doesn't start to compare to the Pac 12, Big 12 or any other P5 conference. They may easily win their conference, but will most often be one and done in the NCAA tournament because of who they play all season in conference.

JR is going after the best of the best. Now she has to sign some of them. She has been on the trail over the summer paying attention to some of the top recruits for 2018.

Coming to CU put her at a big disadvantage. The top talent wasn't looking at playing for the cellar dweller. JR has to convince players that CU is no longer going to be the cellar dweller, but is a team on the way up.

Kelsey Plum is a special player. Other teams know about her and her teammates now. Will be interesting to see what happens to the Huskies.

If you are not aware, Stanford and UCLA have two of the top ranked recruiting classes for the Class of 17.

Watching UCLA vs Baylor right now and UCLA is looking reeaaaallll good. Real close game in 3rd. Stanford vs Texas just started so flipping channels. Buff fans should be watching this if you want to know how good the P12 will be this year because Baylor is really good and so is Texas

Saw a little of both games. Both Stanford and UCLA looked really good as you say.

I saw the very end of the UConn/Florida State game (because I don't watch UConn). Florida State's star was out with an injury and they almost beat UConn. Came down to the final seconds.

I caught most of both games Monday night and what I saw from both Stanford and UCLA made me feel like both can be beat. Now, I'm not saying that the Buffs can whoop 'em but they both have more flaws than top 10 teams should have. With Stanford and Texas, Texas just couldn't shoot the ball, something like 35% and for Stanford, McPhee had the game of her life, scoring 28P and 7RB. I am sure she has improved but, not that much. After her and McCall, they have no scoring threat at all. Samuelson is streaky and she only managed 7P in 35 min. If Texas has managed to shoot a little better, this game would have been real close. And another thing, don't let anyone tell you that Stanford's three guards are better than ours, because they are not. Not only is Kennedy a better PG than Sniezek, so is Lex if she were to play the point. I'll go one further and tell you I would rather have Ken and Lex than the Texas pair of Brooke McCarthy and any of the other 4 or 5 that they run out there. Texas had a total of 9 assists, Now you know why they lost. Stanford is a good team, as they always are, but they are vulnerable.

In the UCLA/Baylor game, well Baylor just killed them...but.....Baylor is really, really good and everyone knows that, so it isn't just me saying that. This was a close game for the first half but Baylor just snuffed them in the second half. Kalani Brown was an absolute beast, 25P/19RB/6A/5BL and this was coming off the bench and playing just 29 min. Jordon Canada had a nice game for UCLA with 23P but just 6A and 4TO and she was 8/23 shooting. After her there was Korver with 4 3's and billings with 16P/10R.....but almost nothing else. Despite some loaded recruiting classes in the last couple years, they still don't seem to have much depth. Now, like I said, it is early in the year and Baylor is damn good so a lot could change for both UCLA and Stanford but, I really don't see anything on their benches that would be a huge improvemnt. Baylor, on the other hand, only used Lauren Cox and Natalie Chou for a few bench minutes for each and I think those two were two of the best recruits in the country.

You have to know that, not only do I hate Baylor and Texas but for obvious reasons, I was rooting for both the Pac 12 teams so I am not happy and you know what the national press will say about these games in relation to the strength of the {Pac as compared to the Big 12. Me...I'm still saying that Washington is the team to beat, even more so than last year. More on them later but I would love to get some feedback from you guys.

Atchley was a senior last season and is no longer at UWBB. CU coaches definitely need to study that UW vs CSU game tape.

I know. I have confidence the coaches will be studying the game film as they prepare for CSU and Washington. First it's Kentucky.

With Erik Johnson returning to Colorado coaching BC it brings back the memory of when Denver upset Lappe's Buffs at Magness. CU was short handed that day, with a limited roster with injuries, but still had Brittney Spears and Chucky battled her heart out.

Johnson actually had put together a very good DU team, and even earning a WNIT invitation later on, but strangely the school turned it down after not winning the Sun Belt tournament, That was a such a strange thing. DU had never been favored to get past MTSU in the Sun Belt tournament. If I remember correctly Middle Tennessee got knocked out after a player (Tina Stewart?) confronted a roommate over Marijuana use in her apartment and called a campus compliance officer. An argument ensued and she was murdered. I remember it was just such a strange set of events. Johnson was taking the Boston College job, after having faced a personal loss in his family and needed a move out of Denver. Neither he nor the school wanted the WNIT bid, he just needed to move on, but the players were completely short changed in that decision.

Since, DU has kind of been irrelevant and the idea of the Pios playing competitively with the Buffs seems so far fetched now. Looking back its still amazing the Buffs fell to Spears and Chucky, two all time great Buffs. I'm curious if Johnson can rebuild BC in the ACC. That's a tough conference to recruit and build from the bottom up.

Kailey Edwards is a great in-state player that had played at Legacy High School, locally. Still not sure how the Buffs missed out on recruiting her (twice, including the transfer). When she transferred to BC to play for her old coach, and didn't transfer to CU, I didn't understand how Lappe didn't try to get her to CU. I always thought Erik Johnson did a masterful job getting DU to be a 20+ power. DU has been lost since, and CU doesn't even schedule them anymore.

I still remember that game. It felt like Lappe let one slip away:

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_16632230?source=rss

At the time I couldn't have imagine how both teams would struggle so much in the years to follow. It felt like great things were ahead for both Johnson at DU and Lappe at CU. Looking back what a long strange trip its been, with Johnson coming to CU coaching BC and having Kailey Edwards on his squad, as a transfer. If he doesn't make it in BC, he'll coach somewhere. He's a great coach. I can't imagine trying to step into a losing program in the ACC.

Last edited:
What will it take for Green Bay to get the respect they deserve on the national scene? That's a great team that almost upset #1 Notre Dame. I don't really follow Green Bay but I'm curious if anyone knows their story. How does a tiny little program in the Horizon League (is that right?) get their recruits, and how do they perennially end up one of the top mid-major powers? I don't even know the coach's name or whether it is a man or a woman. Whoever it is they are doing an incredible job up there.

Anyone know their story, what they run offensively and defensively?

Wisconsin Green Bay : some info.............

Coach is Kevin Borseth. He has coached there for many years over a couple of separate stints. He (infamously for us Buffs fans) was in Boulder and within hours of being announced as the new CUWBB coach when he changed his mind after meeting with CU's new AD, Mike Bohn. Yes this was after the retirement of Ceal Barry and before the hiring of KMM. He returned to Green Bay, then in 2007 took the job as HC at Michigan where he had a middle of the road record (mostly WNIT type results) over 5 years. Then returned again to Green Bay where he has perennially led the team to the Horizon conference championships.

The recruiting at Green Bay is almost entirely Wisconsin and surrounds high school players. With the team having a reputation of always winning, my opinion is that it's an attractive destination for those good players who aren't the elite level and for those who want to stay near home to be able to play in front of friends and families and still have the experience of being part of a winning team and program. I would think that's and attractive combination for many.

Thanks for giving me a thread over here to post this. Lady Hokies 6-0 and getting votes!

Yes, the Omni Classic was a homecoming, of sorts, for Erik Johnson, Kailey Edwards and Mikayla Reese. The results showed why not recruiting Edwards and Reese and not hiring Johnson were all good moves on our part since none of them have proven to be able to perform good enough at this level to be effective. Now, if I'm wrong about whether or not we did recruit Kailey and Mikayla, then maybe they should have made a better choice themselves, since neither SMU or BC have done much except lose for the last 4 years. At least CU has had some success and is trending in the right direction. Once again a thread has been turned into an opportunity to bash Linda Lappe for what you assume to be her lack of recruiting skills, using Edwards as an example. Do you really know if we actually recruited her and why she chose not to come here....or transfer here? I would love to know the answer to these questions. I know that both of these young ladies were ranked recruits who I think would have done well at CU but, as usual, other factors intervened and I really don't think it was a lack of recruiting skills on the part of the former coaching staff.

Another little annoying thing is the complaints about the scheduling for the Omni Classic games. As far as I am concerned this year's schedule was just fine. We brought in an BCS ( ACC-BC) team that has a local player, a very good high Mid-major (SMU), that has a local player and a small D-1(SFU-NEC) from an area that we are hot on the trail for a highly ranked recruit, so this team could be a future away game. These are the reasons that you schedule certain teams for your home tournament. You give the fans a chance to see local kids who went to out of state schools and you also look for future teams that can help your own recruiting. You may also want to remember that this tourney takes place over Thanksgiving break and it can't be easy to convince a team to come spend that week away from home in a cold climate. I mean, did you happen to notice where the other Thanksgiving Tournaments were being held? Paradise Jam? Cancun, Hawaii????? At any rate, I thought it was a great tourney with some darn good games and the bonus is that, after it was over......WE GOT RANKED!!!!!!!!!......so what is there to complain about?????

Wisconsin Green Bay : some info.............

Coach is Kevin Borseth. He has coached there for many years over a couple of separate stints. He (infamously for us Buffs fans) was in Boulder and within hours of being announced as the new CUWBB coach when he changed his mind after meeting with CU's new AD, Mike Bohn. Yes this was after the retirement of Ceal Barry and before the hiring of KMM. He returned to Green Bay, then in 2007 took the job as HC at Michigan where he had a middle of the road record (mostly WNIT type results) over 5 years. Then returned again to Green Bay where he has perennially led the team to the Horizon conference championships.

The recruiting at Green Bay is almost entirely Wisconsin and surrounds high school players. With the team having a reputation of always winning, my opinion is that it's an attractive destination for those good players who aren't the elite level and for those who want to stay near home to be able to play in front of friends and families and still have the experience of being part of a winning team and program. I would think that's and attractive combination for many.

Thanks. I don't remember ever hearing that Borseth was coming here. All I know of him was that audio clip that Jim Rome played 40 times a day the week he threw a tantrum after a loss while coaching Michigan. His Green Bay record is phenomenal. Love the small conference schools in hoops.

The presser to announce Borseth was scheduled when he backed out. Never heard what happened but the hiring of KMM was a disaster.

If my team had the opportunity to go to some of the exotic locations over Boulder, CO, I would be on the beach!

Was Erik Johnson ever considered for the CU job? If so, I was out of that loop. He left Denver because of the sudden, unexpected death of his young son. He needed to get away from Denver, not move up the road.

Back