What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women's golf: CU Buffs' Coleman hopes to build on momentum

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Women's golf: CU Buffs' Coleman hopes to build on momentum

Junior representing Buffs at NCAA Western Regional
By Brian Howell Buffzone.com
Posted: 05/08/2013 08:14:24 PM MDT

So far in her career, the big stage hasn't bothered Jenny Coleman.

In fact, the bigger the tournament, the better the Colorado junior seems to play.

Beginning Thursday, Coleman will represent the Buffaloes at the NCAA Western Regional women's golf tournament. The tournament will be played through Saturday at the Stanford Golf Course in California.

"I'm pretty confident," Coleman said Wednesday in a phone interview following her practice round. "I'm mostly optimistic."

Coleman has good reason for optimism.

As a freshman in 2010-11, Coleman put together one of the finest debut seasons in program history. She capped it with solid performances at the Big 12 Championships and NCAA East Regional.

A year ago, she had the third-best scoring average (75.08) on what was the best team in CU history. She was at her best at the NCAA West Regional, played at Colorado National Golf Club. In that tournament, she matched her best 54-hole score (at that time), including a 3-under 69 in the final round that helped propel the Buffs into the NCAA Championships.

This year, Coleman has been sensational, leading the team with a 74.13 average. She started the year by winning the Dick McGuire Invitational in New Mexico on Sept. 17-18. That was just the sixth win by a player in CU history, and her 54-hole score of 208 broke a school record.

Coleman said that was a bit of a turning point for her.

"When I won the tournament, everything seemed to just start to click a little better," she said. "It just helps me know that I can have a really good couple of rounds at some point, and I can have a chance of always competing."

As good as the win was in September, Coleman's most impressive performance as a Buff may have come two weeks ago. Playing in a loaded field, she was third overall at the Pac-12 Championships -- the best postseason individual finish in program history.

Coleman is now hoping to carry the momentum from that on to an even bigger stage this week.

"I think if I just follow my game and just do my best, I have a pretty good shot," she said.

Eight teams -- and two individuals not on those teams -- will qualify for the NCAA Championships. Coleman is aiming for one of those individual spots.

Regardless of how this week turns out, Coleman said she's been enjoying the steady climb she has been on this year.

"It's been great, seeing so much improvement in my game this whole year," she said.

Follow Brian on Twitter: @BrianHowell33.
from: http://www.buffzone.com/cu-news/ci_23202953/womens-golf-cu-buffs-coleman-hopes-build-momentum

Back