What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Women’s Soccer signing period (begins Feb. 3rd) news thread

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
Along with football, Tuesday Feb. 3 is also the beginning of the soccer signing period for 2015. (The soccer signing period goes longer than football; it doesn't end until August 1st.)

I thought I’d start this thread as a way for folks to post any news (articles, tweets, instagrams, etc.) they find re future soccer Buffs as they officially sign on to join CU for the 2015 season. I'll also be the 1st to (prematurely) say WELCOME whoever signs to joins the Buffs on Tuesday (or whenever during the signing period)!

As has been mentioned in other threads, at least based on rankings, this looks to be a VERY good recruiting class if everyone anticipated signs. 3 of the young women have been rated in the Top 84 in the IMG Academy Top 150 national rankings, another is a young woman from Canada who was a mainstay of their National Under 17 team, and all seven recruits are rated as 3 or 4 stars. After going more heavy in defense last year (3 out of 6 freshmen this year are listed as defenders), it looks like this year’s class is more geared to the midfield and attacking areas, with the class consisting of 1 goaltender, 1 back row, 3 midfielders and 2 forwards. (Although, as Coach Sanchez showed by, for example, moving Tori Cooper from forward to defense in her senior year, and her ending up a Pac 12 2nd Team all-league performer, where you start is not always (of course) where you finish and flourish.)

Here is a table (also in the Olympic Sport recruiting thread; that table also lists later years’ verbal commitments) listing the anticipated signers (aka verbal commitments) and some info on them:

Buff Soccer 2015 class verbal commitments_2015-02-01.jpg

A couple additional notes:

Note 1- topdrawersoccer.com has recently made the IMG Academy Top 150 national rankings and regional rankings part of their premium/ paid subscription, which I don’t have. Therefore, I don’t know if the Top 150 and regional rankings are still current or not in the above table. The (5 is max) star ratings are not part of their premium service, so I did verify those are current.

Note 2- Hopefully it won’t cause any issues, but one potential extra wrinkle for this signing period is that one of the Buffs’ Asst. Coaches (and recruiting coordinator), Don Trentham, left a couple weeks ago to go to Missouri (http://www.mutigers.com/sports/w-soccer/spec-rel/011615aab.html). (Thanks to buff4bcs1985 for 1st making us aware of this.) I know losing an asst. coach and recruiting coordinator is sometimes a big deal in other sports, but hope it won’t matter much if at all in soccer with all the other coaches and staff still here (including of course Head Coach Sanchez), and the team showing itself the last couple years to be an up and coming program in a premiere soccer conference. (I’m assuming CU is waiting to hire a new assistant coach before making a formal announcement regarding him leaving, but Coach Trentham is no longer listed as a coach on cubuffs.com.)

Finally, as always, Go Buffs!

Edit- as also noted in post #16, Official cubuffs.com article officially announcing the class (with links to each commitment's personal biography) is now available at http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209876196 , as well as an ~8 minute video featuring Head Coach Sanchez summarizing the future Buffs at- http://www.cubuffs.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&id=3704731 .

Last edited:
I'm not too worried about an assistant leaving at this point. Most of the players have been committed for over a year. The exception is Sarah Kinzner from Calgary. She could very well be the best of the group signed tomorrow.

And another young woman officially a future Buff-

[tweet]563004003915935747[/tweet]

And here's #3!

[tweet]563015438897278977[/tweet]

[tweet]563003102010552321[/tweet]

Last edited:
And #4 has formally signed! Welcome to the Buffs!

[tweet]563068423660634114[/tweet]

And the 5th formal commitment is officially announced!
(Ms. Alexander is the 3rd and last of the anticipated IMG Academy Top 85 National players (joining Ms's. Tompkins and Zuniga, thanks again to topdrawersoccer.com for publishing the rankings) formally announced as having signed with the Buffs today.)

[tweet]563086156028723201[/tweet]

There is a video of Ms. Alexander's school's (Monte Vista in Highlands Ranch) signing day ceremony. (The soccer coach begins talking about her players signing at ~ the 18:50 mark, and Ms. Alexander's intro by the coach is approx. a minute long, and she is the 1st soccer player signing)- http://usatodayhss.com/2015/watch-live-mountain-vista-signing-day

Last edited:
6 out of 7 known verbal commitments now confirmed as signed. Welcome to Ms. Varnadore joining the Buffs!

[tweet]563133153254993920[/tweet]

The official (short) article announcing the new class, along with links to more detailed individual biographies for the 7 new Buffs, is now available at http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=209876196

There is also an ~8 minute video with Coach Sanchez briefly describing each recruit- http://www.cubuffs.com/mediaPortal/player.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&id=3704731

I know I'm being repetitive, but congrats again to the incoming players, and to the coaching staff for helping find and convince them to become Buffs!

Last edited:
I like. looks like a good class.

On paper this is the best class of the Sanchez era and maybe one of the best in school history. I am not sure I remember a group with as many players who have had time with their respective (US & Canada) youth national teams. At one time the Tompkins (the GK) was listed as the #1 prospect at her position. And I have stated repeatedly that Kinzner is going to have a big impact at CU, perhaps from the very beginning. She has been fast-tracked through the Canadian national team youth system, getting a call to the U-20 squad when she was 16. Canada punches above it's weight in women's soccer (a population of about 35 million - the same as California) and seems to send a lot of good players to US universities. She has some unique abilities it seems and could be creative in the attack in a way that opens up opportunities for players like Brie Hooks. Stephanie Zuniga was also in the US youth national team system before injuries.

As a group they should help the Buffs stay in the top half of the conference and get to the NCAA tourney again.

Back