What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wood vs. Hirsch, Spring Conclusions

From the camera.

Wood completed 36 of 56 passes in four main spring scrimmages for 601 yards and five touchdowns. He also ran for a 33-yard touchdown in the third scrimmage and didn't throw and interception all spring.

601 yds
5 tds
0 ints
64% completion

I think we could live with that type of QB play this season. That is a solid month of work from Connor. I would like to have seen a series or two of full speed against each side, just to see which QB's actually would have gotten the ball off in time or who would have taken a sack. Connor seemed to have the quicker reads though. I was impressed with both Nick and Connor. I think we may actually have a QB this year that will assist of in victories rather than lose games.

From the camera.

601 yds
5 tds
0 ints
64% completion

I think we could live with that type of QB play this season. That is a solid month of work from Connor. I would like to have seen a series or two of full speed against each side, just to see which QB's actually would have gotten the ball off in time or who would have taken a sack. Connor seemed to have the quicker reads though. I was impressed with both Nick and Connor. I think we may actually have a QB this year that will assist of in victories rather than lose games.

To be fair, Hirschman had good numbers too:

32 of 50
64%
460 yards
7 TDs
1 Int

From the camera.

601 yds
5 tds
0 ints
64% completion

We could be successful without that level of play. Spring stats are generally inflated. Performance is encouraging. I'm no longer in panic mode. But I haven't gotten to "confident mode".

We could be successful without that level of play. Spring stats are generally inflated. Performance is encouraging. I'm no longer in panic mode. But I haven't gotten to "confident mode".

I think this is a good assessment. I haven't hit anything resembling confident but I am seeing encouraging progress. Better than terrible but not where I feel good yet.

Shows how bad we have been when not being in panic mode is a major step forward. Feels good just to be hopefull.

"Coaches awarded Wood with the Eddie Crowder Award before the spring game. The award goes to the player who shows outstanding leadership."
- BDC

I did not know this...

I hope they don't name a starter - I think they are close enough in their abilities and styles that it's not going to make much difference to the rest of the team through the summer and part of fall. This way, they keep pushing each other and both stay mentally focused throughout the entire process. It would be different if it were say Cody v Tyler or Webb v rest of the team where the styles of play and ability are vastly different.
And godforbid one gets hurt, you don't want the other guy in a quasi mental funk that he's got to pull himself out of. (Yeah, yeah, I know - they're big boys, they know the deal. But it still happens)
But that's just my opinion.

I hope they don't name a starter - I think they are close enough in their abilities and styles that it's not going to make much difference to the rest of the team through the summer and part of fall. This way, they keep pushing each other and both stay mentally focused throughout the entire process. It would be different if it were say Cody v Tyler or Webb v rest of the team where the styles of play and ability are vastly different.
And godforbid one gets hurt, you don't want the other guy in a quasi mental funk that he's got to pull himself out of. (Yeah, yeah, I know - they're big boys, they know the deal. But it still happens)
But that's just my opinion.

I have a feeling that they will not name a starter right now. Let it go through summer, see who leads the team in 7 on 7's. But I think we know the starter early in the fall. You need your #1 QB to get the most reps with the 1st string. That is how you build successful football teams. Having the competition go late into fall camp does not help anyone.

Issue a depth chart, but it's too early to name a starter. Even if wood is #1 on the depth chart it should be stressed the competition is still open

I think it's fine to put Wood on top of the depth chart heading into summer - reward him for stepping up and establish a leader heading into fall camp. There are still a lot of practices before CSU, so there's no reason Nick, or even Shane or Sefo can't take the job in the fall if they make major strides or Wood falls off. We've had plenty of QB ambiguity over the past 5-6 years so a little decisiveness (at least heading into summer) might go a long way and Wood has earned it IMO.

Is there any concern with Nick leaving if someone else is named starter? I thought I read that on here. If there is, that is reason enough not to name one. Going into the season with any of the other guys as the primary back up would be disastrous.

Wood has earned it. It was a fair competition, and he was better. If someone steps up considerably, they should re-enter the conversation. It's not practical to have 2 QB's playing with the 1's for the sake of having options. We have a #1 QB, let's get him fully prepared for the season.

QB isn't our biggest question mark after yesterday. The defense should be getting the type of attention the QB battle is receiving.

I definitely think Wood played better, but i don't think he was SO much better that there's no longer any question. I think putting out a depth chart with Wood on top is ok but don't announce to the world that WOOD is the starter. That way the coach can still claim there is competition, but Wood feels good about himself. But yes, early fall is when the announcement should be made. We all saw what happened last year when "assumed" he was going to be the starter...he wasn't pushed and he kind of fell off.
(in leadership, you have to know what drives your people to succeed. Some succeed with certainty, knowing they are #1. Others don't reach their full potential unless they are constantly challenged. I'm not the coach so I don't know the players' psyche, but those are real factors).

**** you and **** your neg rep.
I think BB likes to accumulate the red under his name-maybe he is a Chinese communist? Neg rep as well for slamming a newcomer for making an obvious observation that most of us already have-which is why I have his comments on ignore. Had to open his comment after seeing it quoted by Tini.

It has long been clear bb2 has a relationship with Hirschman. Wood is the better athlete with the better arm. I'm okay with the coaches waiting until fall camp to name a starter, but I'll be pretty concerned if we get into week 2 of fall camp with no named starter.

I think BB likes to accumulate the red under his name-maybe he is a Chinese communist? Neg rep as well for slamming a newcomer for making an obvious observation that most of us already have-which is why I have his comments on ignore. Had to open his comment after seeing it quoted by Tini.

Getting a neg rep from an idiot like you is a compliment.

It has long been clear bb2 has a relationship with Hirschman. Wood is the better athlete with the better arm. I'm okay with the coaches waiting until fall camp to name a starter, but I'll be pretty concerned if we get into week 2 of fall camp with no named starter.

I am no longer surprised with the stupid statements on this board, it is now a norm, it is expected. Most be lonely living in your world. A world full of off target assumptions. A narrow minded world. Every thing must be black and white for you. So just because I state my opinions. I bring some fair and balance debate to this forum, I am now in some relationship with Hirschman lol.

Didn't see the game, but looks like bigbang is saying Hirschman did as good as Wood while everyone else on the planet disagrees. Gonna have to assume everyone else on the planet is correct here.

Wood was the better of the two quarterbacks. Stevie Wonder could see that. He threw a very nice ball. While I'm not ready to name a starter (like it would matter if I did), I was impressed by his poise, accuracy, and feel for the game. It definitely remains to be seen what will happen with live bullets, but he was the better of the two yesterday.

Didn't see the game, but looks like bigbang is saying Hirschman did as good as Wood while everyone else on the planet disagrees. Gonna have to assume everyone else on the planet is correct here.

I didn't say Hirschman had a better game than Wood. Both QB played well. The QB battle is close, basically a tie going to the fall. P Richardson playing for the Gold team helped Wood. The previous scrimmage Hirschman had the better stats, the Spring game Wood was slightly better. This is why I say it is a tie. Makes no sense to name a starter, this will lead to Hirschman transfering, then we are left with 2 QB, Dillon and Wood. I wonder if Wood would have looked better if he didn't have the best WR on the team to throw to.

Makes no sense to name a starter, this will lead to Hirschman transferring.

Where are you getting this from? You sound very sure of yourself. I have a hard time believing it, frankly. I would like sources. If it's a gut feeling, say so. And then apologize for making such a definitive statement based on nothing other than a gut feeling.

Where are you getting this from? You sound very sure of yourself. I have a hard time believing it, frankly. I would like sources. If it's a gut feeling, say so. And then apologize for making such a definitive statement based on nothing other than a gut feeling.
\

The same gut feelings that led to stupid statements on this forum naming Wood the clear leader.

I didn't say Hirschman had a better game than Wood. Both QB played well. The QB battle is close, basically a tie going to the fall. P Richardson playing for the Gold team helped Wood. The previous scrimmage Hirschman had the better stats, the Spring game Wood was slightly better. This is why I say it is a tie. Makes no sense to name a starter, this will lead to Hirschman transfering, then we are left with 2 QB, Dillon and Wood. I wonder if Wood would have looked better if he didn't have the best WR on the team to throw to.

Everything I've read for the last two weeks, at least, has been people saying Wood is far and away the better QB. Meanwhile, you've been sitting there saying it's too close to call, it's 50/50, whatever else you choose to say on that day.

I'll agree that two weeks of playing well shouldn't earn Wood the starting job. I'd put him at #1 on the depth chart and remind Hirschman that if he works hard he can still win it in the Fall.

What does seem clear is that Dillon is not ready. So if Hirschman transfers, we could be in a world of trouble.

Can we stop with the "if Hirschman transfers" talk already? The only place I've seen any mention of it is in this thread. It's a figment of BB2's imagination. Let's not give credence to this. It's absurd.

Can we stop with the "if Hirschman transfers" talk already? The only place I've seen any mention of it is in this thread. It's a figment of BB2's imagination. Let's not give credence to this. It's absurd.

It's not that far out. I believe he's going to graduate after this semester and if Wood were named the starter, it's within the realm of possibility that he could transfer somewhere else and play right away. Would he? idk, would seem like a bad move to me. He's clearly at least the #2 guy and with 1 play he could be our starter. But it is possible.

Everything I've read for the last two weeks, at least, has been people saying Wood is far and away the better QB. Meanwhile, you've been sitting there saying it's too close to call, it's 50/50, whatever else you choose to say on that day.

I'll agree that two weeks of playing well shouldn't earn Wood the starting job. I'd put him at #1 on the depth chart and remind Hirschman that if he works hard he can still win it in the Fall.

What does seem clear is that Dillon is not ready. So if Hirschman transfers, we could be in a world of trouble.

I respect your opinion, I just disagree with you. I would not name a starter. The competition is good, let them battle it out a while longer. I guess you didn't read about the last scrimmage before the spring game. Both QB played well against basically no pass rush or pressure. Wood advantage was to have a future first rounder catch a long pass. While Hirschman was throwing to possession receivers like Spruce and Goodson.

Back