What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wood vs. Hirsch, Spring Conclusions

It's not that far out. I believe he's going to graduate after this semester and if Wood were named the starter, it's within the realm of possibility that he could transfer somewhere else and play right away. Would he? idk, would seem like a bad move to me. He's clearly at least the #2 guy and with 1 play he could be our starter. But it is possible.

No offense to the kid, but where's he going to go? Why would any BCS program offer him a scholarship unless their QB situation is a complete disaster. He's played sparingly, not impressed when he has played, and is oft injured.

This isn't USC where a 5-star QB is passed over and wants to go somewhere he can play immediately. I'm really not worried about making any decisions based on whether NH may transfer.

It's not that far out. I believe he's going to graduate after this semester and if Wood were named the starter, it's within the realm of possibility that he could transfer somewhere else and play right away. Would he? idk, would seem like a bad move to me. He's clearly at least the #2 guy and with 1 play he could be our starter. But it is possible.

Where else could he transfer to that he could likely start. Let's face facts, he wasn't good enough last year to earn significant time on far and away the worst offense in major conference college football. Certainly there are likely to be a few FCS programs that would be happy to have him, absolutely there are D2 programs that would gladly take him but if he were the kind of guy to bail he could have transfered to these schools last year without penalty. As for major conference schools I would wonder how many would be willing to even give him a scholly much less promise him a shot at significant playing time.

Edit: Sinkratz got in while I was typing

I respect your opinion, I just disagree with you. I would not name a starter. The competition is good, let them battle it out a while longer. I guess you didn't read about the last scrimmage before the spring game. Both QB played well against basically no pass rush or pressure. Wood advantage was to have a future first rounder catch a long pass. While Hirschman was throwing to possession receivers like Spruce and Goodson.

If you are talking about the last scrimmage and not the spring game, you do realize Hirscman's biggest play that day was a 75-yard TD to Richardson and he also had another TD pass to Richardson while Connor Wood threw two TDs to DD Goodson... right?

If you are talking about the last scrimmage and not the spring game, you do realize Hirscman's biggest play that day was a 75-yard TD to Richardson and he also had another TD pass to Richardson while Connor Wood threw two TDs to DD Goodson... right?

You also do realize Wood throw that 85 yard touchdown to P Richardson with a 3rd string Corner Briscoe in coverage against no pass rush. There seems to be a lot of hype. Untill I see Wood perform in a real game, I will not buy the hype. I didn't see anything from the spring game to name Wood the clear leader.

You also do realize Wood throw that 85 yard touchdown to P Richardson with a 3rd string Corner Briscoe in coverage against no pass rush. There seems to be a lot of hype. Untill I see Wood perform in a real game, I will not buy the hype. I didn't see anything from the spring game to name Wood the clear leader.

I was merely pointing out that your assertion that only Wood is benefitting from throwing to Richardson is wrong. You keep using that quailifier for Wood's performance yesterday, but can't stop talking about Hirschman's performance in that second scrimmage. You see where people might think you have a not so hidden soft spot for Hirschman?

This goes beyond the spring game. No one is praising Wood merely off yesterday's game, but believe what you want. For the record, I am not totally sold on Wood (who would be?), but that does not preclude him from being the clear leader at the moment.

At this point, feels like a political campaign with all the NH talk. He didn't look as good as CW, why drag this on?

I think Dillon is the biggest surprise. Embree hyped him up so much, and he needs a lot of work. The footwork has to improve. Didn't seem smooth to me. The arm strength is impressive. Best out of all QBs.

Hirschman's options are pretty limited I'd definitely agree to that. But weirder things have happened. I don't know what the QB situation is at SDSU or somewhere like that, maybe they'd take a chance on a 1 year scholarship with a guy like Hirschman hoping they can get some use out of him. Maybe he wants a fresh start and a year of grad school paid for. Shrug

I'm definitely not saying we should let Hirschman hold us hostage. I just think we're a lot better off with Hirschman as our #2 than we are with Dillon as #2.

I for one am just glad that we actually have 2 players that at this point seem to be able to play the position. Its amazing what a small dose of actual coaching can do.

I didn't say Hirschman had a better game than Wood. Both QB played well. The QB battle is close, basically a tie going to the fall. P Richardson playing for the Gold team helped Wood. The previous scrimmage Hirschman had the better stats, the Spring game Wood was slightly better. This is why I say it is a tie. Makes no sense to name a starter, this will lead to Hirschman transfering, then we are left with 2 QB, Dillon and Wood. I wonder if Wood would have looked better if he didn't have the best WR on the team to throw to.
Probably as much as Powell, Goodson, and J Thomas helped on the Black team.

No offense to the kid, but where's he going to go? Why would any BCS program offer him a scholarship unless their QB situation is a complete disaster. He's played sparingly, not impressed when he has played, and is oft injured.

This isn't USC where a 5-star QB is passed over and wants to go somewhere he can play immediately. I'm really not worried about making any decisions based on whether NH may transfer.
Kansas???

Makes no sense to name a leader or clear starter at this point. Both QBs still have a lot to learn.

Most of the offense is not installed, bad idea to name a starter right now.

...too early to name a starter, still a long ways to go.

Makes no sense to name a starter...

I would not name a starter.

So what are you trying to say?

The lack of a sense of humor this morning is amazing.
Webb graduated last year, wasn't going to start, came to CU for his masters, ended up starting, etc
The extra question marks imply humor.
No joking - noted

Reactions: aik
I think Dillon is the biggest surprise. Embree hyped him up so much, and he needs a lot of work. The footwork has to improve. Didn't seem smooth to me. The arm strength is impressive. Best out of all QBs.

Totally agree. That was the first time I'd seen him besides Youtube clips from HS. He needs to add at least 20 pounds and a serious amount of footwork coaching. But dude has a gun, unlike we've had here in a long while. If he can get his technique down (he's also a little side-armed), 2014 could be the breakthrough year.

The lack of a sense of humor this morning is amazing.
Webb graduated last year, wasn't going to start, came to CU for his masters, ended up starting, etc
The extra question marks imply humor.
No joking - noted

Well we're talking about Hirschman, not Webb so maybe that's why your "joke" fell flat on it's face.

Totally agree. That was the first time I'd seen him besides Youtube clips from HS. He needs to add at least 20 pounds and a serious amount of footwork coaching. But dude has a gun, unlike we've had here in a long while. If he can get his technique down (he's also a little side-armed), 2014 could be the breakthrough year.

No doubt, MM said that his biggest issue is his footwork which really affects his consistency. I'm very confident in Lindgren though, especially with the progress we've seen with Wood and Hirsh thus far.

So the question is did we see enough improvement in Wood and Hirschmann to have some level of confidence going into next season.

Schrock didn't do anything to distinguish himself but as long as he isn't on scholly he is a luxury we can afford to have. Dorman on the other hand confirmed in a short time that he isn't a threat to be the answer to anything but a trivia question.

How urgent does M2 get to insure the postition. Do we bring in Fishback or do we stay with what we have. Either way Webb is out of it with the injury, I would imagine he goes on a medical retirement for next year and doesn't count against us. I also wonder if Dorman sees the writing on the wall and moves on to someplace where he has a chance to see the field freeing up another scholly.

Hirschman is not going anywhere, I do not believe that he is even graduating as some blogger posted and everyone jumps on it as fact. To graduate in 3 years is a big task - Webb did it but it actually took him about 4 years, he was a January enrollee.

I hope that both Hirsch and Wood improve and continue to do so over the summer. Here is my conclusion. The conditions in spring scrimmages did not approximate game conditions...they(Wood and Hirsch) were averaging about 10 yards per attempt during the spring. That is just not realistic and shows me they were a long way from game conditions...the Ultimate starter will be whomever is mentally tough enough and who can stay calm under pressure. Both players have had issues with that in the past.

I doubt that Fishback is coming (no inside info), he is really not a BCS level QB according to some.

Hirschman is not going anywhere, I do not believe that he is even graduating as some blogger posted and everyone jumps on it as fact. To graduate in 3 years is a big task - Webb did it but it actually took him about 4 years, he was a January enrollee.
Some blogger said this, eh? (Hirsch himself said so)

Fark, can't figure out how to embed tweets. But Hirsch is planning on graduating in May and was a January enrollee IIRC.

I am glad to see most of agree Wood looked better, he did. I just don't see it with Hirschman, he has had considerable playing time in real games and the guy just doesn't look good to me, ever.

Hirsch looked much better now than he did last season. That said Wood still looked much better to me.

Assuming that things continue as they are I am much more comfortable with Wood starting but also with Hirsch as a back-up. Wood still is more talented and has the ability to make more plays but it looks like both are making significant progress and are much more comfortable with what they are being asked to do.

Hirsch's last TD pass to JThom was very good, IMO.
heh. I thought it was terrible. JT was wide open with no one near him due to a blown coverage and Hirsch overthrew him to the point it took a brilliant catch by JT to save the TD.

Back