What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woody Paige chimes in on Hawkins / Bohn

Well he wouldn't. So your hypothetical is a non-starter.

The guy wins mainly because he has incredible talent to overcome odd coaching decisions and even risky coaching decisions. He would look like a very different coach in Boulder because he would not have near that same talent level.

:yeahthat:

The guy wins mainly because he has incredible talent to overcome odd coaching decisions and even risky coaching decisions. He would look like a very different coach in Boulder because he would not have near that same talent level.

So you are on record saying you do not want Les Miles? Who is CU going to get that is better?

Sounds like a certain CU HC candidate to me.

So you are on record saying you do not want Les Miles? Who is CU going to get that is better?

Dave Logan, MAC, EB, Jashon sykes, CJ, KLATT, Big AL, T-wheat, have I missed any other former cu players,coaches??

I'll say this, I would take miles if it was between him and calhoun, that's for sure.

I'm not saying Miles at CU would be bad, it would be a pretty good hire. Just know going in that he will drive you up the wall several times a year.

Dave Logan, MAC, EB, Jashon sykes, CJ, KLATT, Big AL, T-wheat, have I missed any other former cu players,coaches??

I'll say this, I would take miles if it was between him and calhoun, that's for sure.

Assuming that list is semi-serious, the only one I would take over Miles is Mac and his hand-picked assistants. It makes you wonder how CU football would look today had CU listened to Mac and hired Bob Simmons instead of the Weasel all those years ago...

I'm not saying Miles at CU would be bad, it would be a pretty good hire. Just know going in that he will drive you up the wall several times a year.

Win games and I don't give a ****. The guy can clearly recruit, and despite some strange calls, he can coach as well. Talent alone does not win games. Just ask UCLA, or Texas prior to Mack Brown.

He took OSU to the Cotton Bowl in 2004, so I must disagree. CU is a better program than OSU, so he would be just fine here.

And the flip fake field goal? First time he used it was at OSU against KSU in 2004.

He took OSU to the Cotton Bowl in 2004, so I must disagree. CU is a better program than OSU, so he would be just fine here.

And the flip fake field goal? First time he used it was at OSU against KSU in 2004.

Yeah, he would do fine. Just saying anyone expecting him to come anywhere close to his success at LSU is in for a big letdown.

Yeah, he would do fine. Just saying anyone expecting him to come anywhere close to his success at LSU is in for a big letdown.

I don't expect anyone to come in to Boulder and win 10+ every year. I expect the following at CU:

Winning seasons consistently
Consistently in the top 25
Consistently in the hunt for the conference title
Occasionally win the conference title
Occasionally be in contention for the NC

I don't think that's unrealistic, and I think Miles (or Mac) could do that.

Assuming that list is semi-serious, the only one I would take over Miles is Mac and his hand-picked assistants. It makes you wonder how CU football would look today had CU listened to Mac and hired Bob Simmons instead of the Weasel all those years ago...

Sarcasm my friend...I wonder that too but simmons didn't set the world on fire at OSU. Maybe it would have been different at cu who knows.

I don't expect anyone to come in to Boulder and win 10+ every year. I expect the following at CU:

Winning seasons consistently
Consistently in the top 25
Consistently in the hunt for the conference title
Occasionally win the conference title
Occasionally be in contention for the NC

I don't think that's unrealistic, and I think Miles (or Mac) could do that.

I'd settle for that. In this day and age with 100 bowl games, to not be able to scratch out 6 wins, especially when you go 3-1 in non conference is atrocious. There's no excuse for that.

Sarcasm my friend...I wonder that too but simmons didn't set the world on fire at OSU. Maybe it would have been different at cu who knows.

He was trying to build something from nothing at OSU. At CU the program was already built. I think we would not have Hawkins as our coach, but I'm not saying Simmons would still be around, either. It would just be different. And most likely better.

He was trying to build something from nothing at OSU. At CU the program was already built. I think we would not have Hawkins as our coach, but I'm not saying Simmons would still be around, either. It would just be different. And most likely better.

Buffarino is right. Simmons WAS a good coach. But after he got snubbed at CU, what options did he have? OSU came calling and it was a Big Eight gig and he took it. You gotta remember, this was pre-Boone in terms of his huge contributions, so taking the OSU job in 1994-95 was like taking the CSU job now. It was a small school with a backward, broke athletic department with NO facilities and he still managed to recruit some of the best defenders the school ever had (RW McQuarters, Dwayne Levels, Kenyatta Wright; not to mention Rashaun Woods and Alonzo Mayes on the other side of the ball). He did something with nothing there. While it didn't work out, OSU had two straight 5-6 seasons that they probably should have won 7 games in, in 1998 and 1999. The bottom dropped out in 2000 and he got the axe, but he was VERY close to making OSU a solid competitor. Games like homecoming against KSU in 1999, where OSU got up 23-0 or so at halftime on a top 10 (I think) KSU squad, only to lose 44-23 was typical at times -- getting up and staying close, only to get overmatched at the end.

If Simmons had been hired here, I think you would have seen Miles join him as offensive coordinator (like he did at OSU) and with what talent was already at CU, Simmons would have been able to build off that in a way that Neu never could. Those first two years post-Mac were stacked and Simmons would have done more with them.

Basically, if that had happened, I think Simmons might have coached a successful decade or 15 years even. In short, we might have not had the Neu junk, Barnett and the scandal OR Hawkins. In hindsight, not listening to Mac is why we're in the situation we're in today. Simmons would have kept CU from becoming a joke.

And, at the least, if he didn't work out, Miles might have succeeded him at CU like he did at OSU. (Miles left after 1997 to be a TE coach with the Dallas Cowboys and was Simmons' replacement in 2000.)

A good friend of mine went to LSU and still follows the program passionately. We debated at the beginning of the year who was the worst coach – and who would be the first to get fired, Miles or Hawkins. That debate has been settled, unfortunately, but even though he’s an upgrade over Hawkins, that’s not saying much. The way he treats the media and blames everyone but his coaching gaffes would not play well with the fans. No to Miles.

Not that it matters, because he'd never go from LSU to here....but,

We would be lucky to have Les Miles. He's already proven that he can take a craptastic program in shambles in a craptastic place (Oklahoma State), and turn it into a team that can consistantly beat their rivals and win and go to bowl games consistently. That would be pretty nice since our program has been "burned to the ground" twice in 5 years. If he could recruit pretty good players there, he should be able to recruit pretty good players here.

He's also proven that if he takes over a program that's on the way up (LSU) and keep it going. He'd be the only coach in the PAC12 that could walk into a kid's house wearing a national championship ring and say he's done this before at this level. His ring is also less than 10 years old. MAC could also come in sporting the hardware (which I think would be quite a selling point), but there'd still be doubts about whether he's still "got it" from 18 year old kids that don't know him.

Sure he makes....ahem...questionable....decisions at time. But when they work, he sure looks.....well let's just say it's entertaining. He seems to recognize who the gamebreakers are on his team and tries to get them involved at all possible. That sure would be refreshing. We'll just have to remember to never look away, or leave early for the bathroom when we've got the ball in obvious ____________(whatever it is we're supposed to be doing) downs.

If we land Les Miles, I think that would really really help our program.

as far as OSU goes, while Pat Jones did slide at the end....you are forgetting the Rusty Hilger-Mike Gundy/Thurman Thomas-Barry Sanders/Hart Lee Dykes teams.....they were top 15-20 type teams in the late 80's/early 90's. Simmons took the job in 95. i don't think comparing OSU to CSU is accurate, what i'm saying. additionally, OSU had had success at the highest level in hoops, wrestling, golf, baseball....so, it's not like they've had a complete joke of an AD for decades like the Rams.

i get the arguments about Miles and he was a Mac assistant....but i don't like Les. don't want him here. he's not ever going to take the CU job if half of the admissions hijinx everyone at AB is convinced happens at CU is true. Les thrives on guys who would never get into CU. I think he's a bad fit for Boulder and while we can bellyache about the mean liberals and the evil profs....he's not going to work here.

Mac will put EB in a higher position than Logan, he could make it on the staff but definately not as an "assistant head coach"

Dude won 51 games in his first 5 years at LSU and is 7-1 right now. I don't care whose players he had, I would take him in a heartbeat. No reservations whatsoever.
Remember, I said he was a good coach, but not a championship coach. He's lucky as hell to be 7 - 1 right now. Lee bailed his stupid ass out in the last minute of the Tennessee and Florida game. He still won't start him, but when he gets behind he never hesitates to put him in the game. His SEC record the last 2 years was about 500 until this year. He's got some really tough games left - Bama, Ole Miss, Arkansas. We shall see how he does down the stretch. The last 2 years he has sucked.

Several times a year would be far better than 11 - 13 (games) times a year
He could be successful here, and he will definitely drive your ass up a wall. He will also lose at least one game a year because of clock management.
He will win anywhere he goes, but there is also a price to pay - he's a mixed blessing.

QFT

Texas is a strange team this year. They clearly have the talent.

They arent strange at all, they have no identity. That sound familiar? I dont care what kind of talent you have, those guys dont know whether they are winding their watch or their ass. If you dont see it, that explains plenty.

They arent strange at all, they have no identity. That sound familiar? I dont care what kind of talent you have, those guys dont know whether they are winding their watch or their ass. If you dont see it, that explains plenty.

I haven't watched them play, I've only seen the scores. Hence, I don't know what's wrong with them, Mr. Football. :lol:

Have fun being Ohio State's bitch. You are the reason classy husker fans is a complete fraud. Go fall off silo.

Go fall off silo? Not only will you be the dormat of the PAC12 on the football field you'll also be the cellar dweller in academics.

Back