What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woody Paige - Selling the CU-UU rivalry hard

Will CU-UU become a big rivalry?

• Yes. Almost immediately.

Votes: 11 12.4%
  • Yes. But it will take a while.

Votes: 49 55.1%
  • No. We both have other rivals that mean more.

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • I think bcs, Creatini and JRK should take the cinnamon challenge.

Votes: 19 21.3%

• Total voters
I like the points in the article about Utah and Colorado being rivals as states beyond sports. Growing up in Michigan, that's always what I thought made the rivalry between UM and OSU so great -- that the rivalry between the teams grew so intense because the states had been rivals forever. I think it will take a while, and I've never had anything against the state of Utah myself, but now that I'm back in Colorado full-time, I'm willing to try.

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/utes/51789895-89/utah-colorado-rivalry-game.html.csp?page=1

Same article was posted in the Salt Lake City Tribune. Funny that Husker fans are posting comments on that article. :lol:

Comment from that article:

Water_the_Tree_With_Blood said:
I love this rivalry, I hate all things Colorado, I hate the city of Denver, the mountains and skiing are second rate compared to Utah, I hate the Broncos, I hate the Thuggets and that liberal cesspool of Boulder should burn to the ground. They do have some decent beer but I will have to say our local beers are better. F Colorado.

If there are more Ute fans out there like this guy the Utes will be a hated rival in no time! :thumbsup:

:rofl2:

• Colorado and Utah are bordering states with major metropolitan centers (Denver, Salt Lake City) separated by 534 miles directly on Interstate 70 over the Rocky Mountains.

UU is on I-70 just like Boulder is on I-80. Look at a map, Woody!

The two schools ARE great rivals in skiing. I believe CU has far more nat'l championships. But, the young people I know that ski and skied for each school will debate the merits of the skiing conditions in each state. And, from what I know, Utah may be superior in the quality of the snow. Of course, the resorts can't touch Colorado, at least in terms of numbers and money. But this forms a fairly different kind of rivalry than that with the Fuskers.........

I think it will be Southern Cal, that game will mean more in terms of recruiting as well as SC's national prestige, plus Lane Kiffin is a douchebag....

If Slick Rick sticks around at UCLA (hope he does, I do not like UCLA), I think UCLA will be but that's in the short run IMO. It'll be tough IMO to build a true rivalry with anyone in the 12 Pac though since everyone has an established rival (UO v OSU, Stanford v Cal, USC v UCLA, Utah v BYU), we'll always be a secondary rival to most teams if we do build up a rivalry.

If Slick Rick sticks around at UCLA (hope he does, I do not like UCLA), I think UCLA will be but that's in the short run IMO. It'll be tough IMO to build a true rivalry with anyone in the 12 Pac though since everyone has an established rival (UO v OSU, Stanford v Cal, USC v UCLA, Utah v BYU), we'll always be a secondary rival to most teams if we do build up a rivalry.

Yes but I can assure you that going back a few years, Nebraska and CU were most definitely NOT rivals as we talk about that today. When I was young if anything our rival was Oklahoma. We threatened, year after year, to be one or two of their only losses. The Nebraska vs. Oklahoma game was what those two teams lived for going many years back. Then in the 1971 it was no. 1, Nebraska v. no. 2, Oklahoma, and Nebraska won in the very end, one of the finest college football games ever, IMHO. After that the Oklahoma/Nebraska game ruled until at least the nineties when the conference was split into north and south.

I can see UU butting heads with Oregon. The ducks are at the top of the conference, full of piss and vinegar.
Utah fans are proud of their winning record and reflective Olympic glow.

UU is focused on BYU.

There's no reason for UU to waste their mental energy on Colorado at this point in their lifecycle. Most Utes are chalking up CU as a win (>75% probability). There's no fear or respect for CU in the Ute fan's heart.

I don't want to paint UU as Nebraska or CSU. I hope their fans stay cool and play the role of gracious host and polite visitor. There's nothing to hate about Utah, at this point.

Rivalries are built on hate. Utah is a mere conference foe, but not a rival. Not for now, anyway.

Thing for me, in my mind, and I've seen it touched on a few other times in this thread, is who else CAN it be? All the other teams in what was the PAC 10 have their rivalries already built in.

UW-Wazzu
USC-UCLA
Arizona-Arizona St.
Oregon-Oregon St.
Cal-Stanford

I think that, in as much as we can pick a target to aim at (USC or Oregon for their on-field success, UCLA because their coach is the 2nd most worthless bag of **** on the planet, Ariz. St. because we wish our chicks were that slutty, whatever), getting those schools to TRULY reciprocate will be damn hard, because of the traditional (whether they are 30-40 yrs old or go back to the turn of the century) rivalries. Also, look at those existing rivalries, they are cross-town, cross-bay or cross-state. We don't have that kind of geographical proximity to anyone but Utah.

Also, I noticed this tidbit:
• Colorado reneged on a deal to host the Winter Olympics.

Did I miss a news story? What's behind this? Anyone know?

1976 Winter Olympics - Governor Dick Lamm was responsible for representing the wishes of Coloradoans. The sentiment in the state was that the resorts didn't need the exposure. Population growth was already explosive. Colorado didn't want to spend the extra money on infrastructure.

1976 Winter Olympics - Governor Dick Lamm was responsible for representing the wishes of Coloradoans. The sentiment in the state was that the resorts didn't need the exposure. Population growth was already explosive. Colorado didn't want to spend the extra money on infrastructure.
My dad said that the USOC actually asked Colorado to host and Dick turned them down. He was very anti-growth and knew that building the infrastructure combined with the exposure would create growth.

My dad said that the USOC actually asked Colorado to host and Dick turned them down. He was very anti-growth and knew that building the infrastructure combined with the exposure would create growth.

That's not entirely true. Colorado was awarded the 1976 Winter games. McNichols arena was built to host the games. When Colorado voters turned it down, the games ended up back in Innsbruck, where they had been just 8 years prior. Innsbruck still had all the infrastructure.

Ute fan here.

I've been reading this board since the news of CU and Utah heading to the PAC 12 first started.

Watching BYU fans roll over here and try to start sh!t (because they were still bawlin' their eyes out down there in Provo about being left behind) actually got me posting over here.

Anyway... I grew up in Denver and as a high school kid caught many, many games at Folsom. Great experience!

As far as the rivalry goes. This thing has no wheels yet... but it will. A true rivalry needs hate.

I post on several Utah boards. Trust me, it's only a matter of time.

Colorado is a great state and a hell of a place to party... I love coming back there to go drinking with my old high school friends.

It's going to be even better when I get to include watching the Utes kick CU's ass while I'm there. :thumbsup:

Back