What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Woody Paige Thinks Hawk Will Be Fired & Calhoun Will Replace Him

My take was that those were the names he is hearing from boosters.

Your take is correct. After re-reading, I think that was Woody's premise. And it has been reported that there is a very small group of vocal and well-heeled boosters that push Logan.

After the Texans activated Foster and put him on special teams, Foster thought back to a conversation he'd had with Minnesota Vikings running backs coach Eric Bieniemy prior to a preseason game. Bieniemy once had tried recruiting Foster to UCLA, so he wanted to know how the rookie was doing. When Foster said he was discouraged by his lack of opportunities, Bieniemy told him to stay strong. "He said I could only worry about the things I could control," Foster said.“ After that, I decided that if I only got three plays a game, I was going to make them the best plays ever.

-- Texans RB Arian Foster, on advice given by Vikings RB coach Eric Bieniemy, regarding Foster worrying about playing time

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/columns/story?columnist=chadiha_jeffri&page=hotread05/ArianFoster

Nuff Said! I'm all for Bieniemy!

Last edited:
The best news is that the firing seems a forgone conclusion. I tend to think EB and Logan are not viable candidates for the reasons Woody lists, except perhaps as fall back positions. Calhoun and McIlwien seem very viable although I would like to see their experience in recruiting the west coast, which I think will be the program's focus. Like many on here, I have mixed feelings about Mac coming on. I know he wants to do it but for how long? He would need to come here with a pretty clear line of succession set up. We cannot have the revolving door again. (remember tricky Ricky)

I like McElwain as my #1 choice.

He's a western guy, from Washington and played at Eastern Washington.
He is a coordinator at a big time school that has won a NC.
He's a great recruiter
He has a great personality
Oh and his offenses have run the ball extremely well the past 3 years

He's a great recruiter

I endorse this post entirely.

I think that I am happy with both Mac and McElwain-- and McElwain may be the number one choice for me now-- if he would have us.

Eric Bieniemy has a lot of support among the staff and some alums. But, honestly, he carries a lot of baggage from his days in Boulder, and he has never been a head coach. He has been away from the college game for a long time. Can he recruit? There's more support for him among longtime fans and former players than there is within the program and among well-heeled backers.

I didn't read the entire thread so if somebody touched on this already I apologize. Either way, did Woody seriously right this about EB? He acts like those issues aren't 50x worse with Mac. :lol: Either way, McElwain, Mac, and Calhoun are the only decent options on that list. I really hope we can try to think outside the box a little bit. I wish we could come up with more McElwain types. Big time coordinators who can recruit would be the ticket for me.

I don't think we'll hear any complaints from Mac about facilities, contract extensions or the other excuses we've heard for not winning (or at least competing).

Plus I think he is one of the few who can attract some of the big dollars needed to improve the facilities.

I like Embree. I don't want another OC to be learning on the job. And someone being better than what we currently have isn't an endorsement. We need to set the bar higher than that.

Mac has been away from it for 15 years and he is 70 years old. Men 20 years his junior are dropping with heart attacks from this job. There is no denying his charisma and that special something he has. In a lot of ways, he reminds me of Dick Vermeil. But DV hired Martz as his OC (where's our home run x's and o's staff coming from with Mac?) and Vermeil was also 64. Plus, while he hadn't been coaching he had stayed close to the game through broadcasting. When Vermeil decided to retire for good, he was a year younger than Mac is now (2 years younger than Mac will be when the 2011 season starts).

Also, we can't simply ignore the fact that a lot of people in the CU community are offended by Mac's publicly-stated beliefs and also remember a CU program under Mac that took a lot of partial qualifiers in order to win (something that couldn't be done today).

Bottom line is that I want to find the next Mac, not try to recycle the old one after his expiration date.

I look at it as a chance to right a wrong. The wrong was to let a precious thing like a great football program (certainly not as precious as a lot of things in life - but to some of us it's a big part of our lives) go down the drain. I wasn't happy when Mac left the first time without grooming a successor so, for me, this is a second chance to regain our tradition and impose some continuity of that tradition. He's not going to leave for a better position and this time he'll have time to groom a successor. Mac is not a high revving individual either so the fact that his mom is still alive should alleviate any immediate health concerns (I say he has another 10 years of coaching in him).

There's something about joining the Pac12 that has Mac really excited. Maybe it's the key to recruiting blue chip CA kids to CU. There's a reason he wants to coach again and I'm excited to see it play out.

McCartney recently said during a short halftime interview (I think during the Georgia game), "being the head coach at CU was an honor and a privilege." What a refreshing thing to hear about coaching at CU. I don't think we'll hear any complaints from Mac about facilities, contract extensions or the other excuses we've heard for not winning (or at least competing).

Partial qualifiers aside it's pretty much an even playing field in the Pac12.

I think there's a helluva lot of good, solid points made in this thread.

I do like the idea of McElwain, but I also wonder if we'd have a legit shot at him. However, if he's looking for an HC gig and is looking to return to the Western part of the country, we might look good to him going into the PAC next year.

I think the safest play would be a Mac, and might bring the most support with him.

EB alone would be a bit of a wildcard, BUT, if there were a Mac/EB combo with the idea of Mac grooming EB, then I think that carries some weight behind it. The question I've thought about is:

Would CU bring in EB knowing the positive national attention they would get for hiring a black head coach? I like EB alot and think his pro/college combination of experience would do extremely well with recruiting, but I think he also needs that "grooming" period to be a head coach.

I admire Calhoun quite a bit, but he might be too much of a wild card coming in on Hawk's tails, but we'll see.

Last edited:

He's a great recruiter

Nuff said.

I look at it as a chance to right a wrong. The wrong was to let a precious thing like a great football program (certainly not as precious as a lot of things in life - but to some of us it's a big part of our lives) go down the drain. I wasn't happy when Mac left the first time without grooming a successor so, for me, this is a second chance to regain our tradition and impose some continuity of that tradition. He's not going to leave for a better position and this time he'll have time to groom a successor. Mac is not a high revving individual either so the fact that his mom is still alive should alleviate any immediate health concerns (I say he has another 10 years of coaching in him).

There's something about joining the Pac12 that has Mac really excited. Maybe it's the key to recruiting blue chip CA kids to CU. There's a reason he wants to coach again and I'm excited to see it play out.

McCartney recently said during a short halftime interview (I think during the Georgia game), "being the head coach at CU was an honor and a privilege." What a refreshing thing to hear about coaching at CU. I don't think we'll hear any complaints from Mac about facilities, contract extensions or the other excuses we've heard for not winning (or at least competing).

Partial qualifiers aside it's pretty much an even playing field in the Pac12.

In the end, nostalgia can only take you so far. Think about how long he has been out of the game. A high school coach (insert Logan here) would be a better option, and he should not even be an option.

In the end, nostalgia can only take you so far. Think about how long he has been out of the game. A high school coach (insert Logan here) would be a better option, and he should not even be an option.

It's all about talent. Name one current Buff player who would have started for McCartney's 89-94 teams? I can think of maybe 5-6. Miller, Solder, Major, Smith, Kasa (maybe in another year), Clemons (currently unused by our current staff). The rest are backups on McCartney's teams... Heck our backup QB Vance Joseph in 94 was a better athlete than 98% of our current roster.

Let's stick with the facts (from just our 94 team) - Berti, Clavelle, Detmer, Darius Holland, Fauria, Hudson, Irwin, Ted Johnson, Carruth, Greg Jones, Lepsis, Merkerson, Naeole, Rosga, Matt Russell (Butkus), Salaam (Heisman - are you kidding?), Savoy, Kordell Stewart, Westbrook... not to mention Wilbon, Knutson, Troutman, West, Lendon Henry, Kidd, Leomiti etc... I'd say every single one of these players would beat out our current starters in their respective positions... every single one of them... not to mention special teams!

BTW - Joe Paterno went 11-2 last year (at 84 he can still out-recruit CU with or without the help of a high school coach/talk show host/paid spokesperson).

I'm on the Eric Bieniemy bandwagon. If not him than someone with Pac 10 ties. Don't care for Mac, Calhoun or the Bama OC.

A couple of things. No big name boosters are pushing Logan, only the local sports media members. The local media is trying to get ground swell support for Logan.

Mac has been hinting since last summer that he wants to get back into coaching. CU is a logical destination. Mac is not openly lobbying for the job but he would really start to if it becomes open. In the mean time he is letting everyone know that he wants to coach again.

Logan does not have the experience or name recognition. EB just would not be a good fit in Boulder, I don't believe. Mac has been out of the game for a long damned time. Hell if I know who they should hire. I'll just tag along for the ride while all the smart guys here get it figured out.

The thing I've always disliked about Woody are his "secret" sources, frankly I don't believe much of what he writes is remotely true.

I know everybody here seems to be regurgitating the 'Bring Mac Back' sentiment, but does anybody honestly believe that anybody outside of CU even knows or cares who Mac is anymore...especially the 18 year old kids he is trying to recruit. Guys like Tom Osborne can do it, but I think he is pretty much forgotten about nation wide. Also, he last coached 20 years ago. If he does become our next HC I wish him the best, but I do not think he is the answer for CU. Need a fresh OC/DC or experienced HC in an established program.

Can a 70 year old connect with a 17 year old?

If it takes 5 years to turn around a program as ours probably would how fit would Mac be at 75? There is talent on this team but we all know there are some really big holes.

It's all about talent. Name one current Buff player who would have started for McCartney's 89-94 teams? I can think of maybe 5-6. Miller, Solder, Major, Smith, Kasa (maybe in another year), Clemons (currently unused by our current staff). The rest are backups on McCartney's teams... Heck our backup QB Vance Joseph in 94 was a better athlete than 98% of our current roster.

Let's stick with the facts (from just our 94 team) - Berti, Clavelle, Detmer, Darius Holland, Fauria, Hudson, Irwin, Ted Johnson, Carruth, Greg Jones, Lepsis, Merkerson, Naeole, Rosga, Matt Russell (Butkus), Salaam (Heisman - are you kidding?), Savoy, Kordell Stewart, Westbrook... not to mention Wilbon, Knutson, Troutman, West, Lendon Henry, Kidd, Leomiti etc... I'd say every single one of these players would beat out our current starters in their respective positions... every single one of them... not to mention special teams!

BTW - Joe Paterno went 11-2 last year (at 84 he can still out-recruit CU with or without the help of a high school coach/talk show host/paid spokesperson).

I get what your saying but would half those players be admitted to CU today? And all those players were recruited by a 54 year old established coach in Mac a year or two after winning the NC, not the 70 year old version who has been away from the game for almost 15 years. And comparing this to Jo Pa is kind of silly, how much coaching does he really do? He spent most of last season sitting in a press box with multiple calls for him to step down, is that what you want in 5 years?

The thread that was yanked on NB had the guy also saying that we should make no mistake; that the job is Mac's if he wants it, and he wants it. i wish I would have written it down; it was a very informative post. Not sure if it was yanked from being total BS or because Plati freaked and got the mods to pull it. Strange strange strange.

I love Mac, no doubt about it, but it would be a mistake to bring him in again at 70.

In my view, it depends on the terms.
Is it a tradition deal, where there is recognition that a succession plan after x years (3-5 years) includes the grooming of an heir apparent? If there were a plan to include some fresh blood with real world experience in the modern game, that would be a plus. Does McCarntey's salary package make economic sense to the University? If McCartney comes as a relatively affordable package with EB or some rising star OC/DC who is green, but future HC material, then by all means, bring Mac back.

But if Mac demands $2.5M per year and insists on bringing in a bunch of retreads from the glory years, then I'd have more concerns.

Also, is there even anything SOLID from Mac that he is interested in coaching again. It seems its all heresay and people are just inflating the comments he made at halftime of the Georgia game...which say absolutely nothing about his interest in coaching next season.

Also, is there even anything SOLID from Mac that he is interested in coaching again. It seems its all heresay and people are just inflating the comments he made at halftime of the Georgia game...which say absolutely nothing about his interest in coaching next season.

I think you'd have to admit that Mac has been a lot more visible lately than he ever was at any time since he retired. He's not openly campaigning for the job, but he's stopping just short of it. And yes, he's indicated that he's interested in coaching again. He's made that abundantly clear.

I think all this Mac talk started last summer at the 'Buff For Life' golf tournament. Mac & many ex-players were there minus DII Danny.

Back