What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Worst football hiring.

A garbage can would have had Slick's winning percentage with the program he was handed. The program lost probably as much ground relatively under Weasal as it lost under Hawkins. He sucks plain and simple, and was a poor coach. He didn't win here, he was able to avoid losing for a while thanks to being handed the keys to a Ferrari.
Same thing happened at alot of schools, OU in the early 90's, ND for the last dozen years, Neb after Osborne, Michigan, and the list goes on and on. Fairbanks was alot worse than the Weasel. No way the program lost as much ground as Hawkins. GB won the Big 12 his third year after Weasel.

Last edited:
Same thing happened at alot of schools, OU in the early 90's, ND for the last dozen years, Neb after Osborne, Michigan, and the list goes on and on. Fairbanks was alot worse than the Weasel. No way the program lost as much ground as Hawkins. GB won the Big 12 his second year after Weasel.

As much as I hate Slick he wanted to win, he was just a bad coach. Fairbanks wasn't interested in anything but collecting a check and redecorating his office. I was told by someone inside the program at the time the Fairbanks rarely left campus to recruit, didn't spend much time on campus compared to what you expect out of a head coach, and seemed to be half drunk most of the time he was around. In short we would have been better off with no coach than with Fairbanks.

I think Hawkins sincerely wanted to win, I also think he was completely over his head and lost what control he had after a couple of years. He had been handed a program at Boise, all he had to do was drive it. When he got to Boulder he completely failed to establish a team identity, he expected to have the credibility with his players that he had at Boise but didn't get it because he never established credibility and respect with his players in Boulder. Add to that the fact that at Boise he could mail in 8 games a year due to the talent difference. All he had to do was work to win the 3-4 games a year that posed any kind of threat and he was golden. In Boulder his team was the mail in game for the opponents.

Neu had three chances with three quality situations and failed at each. At CU he inherited a team that potentially could have played for the NC, at UW and UCLA he took over programs that had history, financial support, and solid talent pools to draw on. With as poorly as he did in that situation he is still better than Hawkins who is still head and shoulders above Fairbanks.

A garbage can would have had Slick's winning percentage with the program he was handed. The program lost probably as much ground relatively under Weasal as it lost under Hawkins. He sucks plain and simple, and was a poor coach. He didn't win here, he was able to avoid losing for a while thanks to being handed the keys to a Ferrari.
That's so true. Mac left a scandal-free, talent-packed, national championship contender and in 4 years Slick left it with less talent and scandal-ridden.

Hawkins took over a perceived scandalized program at 7-5 and when he left they were 5-7 and in some ways improved the talent. He was in over his head and a disaster, but as disasters go, I think Slicky takes the cake.:angry2:

That's so true. Mac left a scandal-free, talent-packed, national championship contender and in 4 years Slick left it with less talent and scandal-ridden.

Hawkins took over a perceived scandalized program at 7-5 and when he left they were 5-7 and in some ways improved the talent. He was in over his head and a disaster, but as disasters go, I think Slicky takes the cake.:angry2:

Wait. Hawkins improved the talent in some ways? In what way did he ever increase the talent?

The worst thing about the struggles under Slick and Hawkins is that it has made too many Buffs fans buy into the idea that an "insider" head coach is a necessity for success at CU.

Wait. Hawkins improved the talent in some ways? In what way did he ever increase the talent?
If the 2009 NFL draft would have been the last of GB's recruiting classes, the only Buff drafted was Brad Jones in the 7th round. 2010 Colorado had ZERO players drafted.

In 2011, Buffs had 2 first round picks, a fourth and a seventh. Last year we had a 5th and 7th, plus multiple free-agents signed.

To me this indicates an increase in talent.

If the 2009 NFL draft would have been the last of GB's recruiting classes, the only Buff drafted was Brad Jones in the 7th round. 2010 Colorado had ZERO players drafted.

In 2011, Buffs had 2 first round picks, a fourth and a seventh. Last year we had a 5th and 7th, plus multiple free-agents signed.

To me this indicates an increase in talent.

That's fine and all but I'm not buying he increased the talent level. Under Barnett we weren't out classed by nearly every team in our conference. We have been one of the slowest and weakest BCS in the country the past few years with Halk's recruits and the talent he did get, for the most part haven't stayed for different reasons. Sure we've had some guys drafted, but team wide, the talent level decreased a lot under Halk and 2011 is a pretty good example of this IMO.

That's fine and all but I'm not buying he increased the talent level. Under Barnett we weren't out classed by nearly every team in our conference. We have been one of the slowest and weakest BCS in the country the past few years with Halk's recruits and the talent he did get, for the most part haven't stayed for different reasons. Sure we've had some guys drafted, but team wide, the talent level decreased a lot under Halk and 2011 is a pretty good example of this IMO.

In the last couple years of GB's tenure, we were completely out-classed, talent wise, by UT and OU. That B12 CG against VY was sickening. The year before, against OU, was equally sickening. The talent level at CU took a dramatic drop in the last couple years of GB's time here.
Hawkins was an abject failure as a head coach. He did manage one good recruiting year, though.

In the last couple years of GB's tenure, we were completely out-classed, talent wise, by UT and OU. That B12 CG against VY was sickening. The year before, against OU, was equally sickening. The talent level at CU took a dramatic drop in the last couple years of GB's time here.
Hawkins was an abject failure as a head coach. He did manage one good recruiting year, though.
That's why I said most. Teams like UT and OU are pretty much always gonna have better talent than us. Halk did have the 2008 class, but which of the 4*'s or 5*'s ever did anything? I just don't see how Halk raised the talent level. The 2004 and 2005 OU and UT games were horrible, but I don't think we were as outclassed under Barnett as we were under Halk.

I can't stand the SOB. Read my posts. All I'm saying is you ain't gonna find a coach Mac every hire. Slick was a stinking rat, but he won while he was here. Was he as good as Mac - absolutely no. Do you think Slick left the program in better shape than Hawkins?

Hawkins could have had 9-10 wins with Mac's talent the first couple years. Ricky had a trend with him everywhere he went, he could win with someone elses recruits, then it went to hell. Slick is not a good coach, he has burned 3 programs to the ground.

Hawkins could have had 9-10 wins with Mac's talent the first couple years. Ricky had a trend with him everywhere he went, he could win with someone elses recruits, then it went to hell. Slick is not a good coach, he has burned 3 programs to the ground.
Hawkins is an absolute idiot. Slick is a rat, but he's smart. Hawkins could win at Boise against $h!T teams, but he could never have won 10 games twice with Mac's talent. He would have blown some games with a 24 or 30 point lead example KU. That KU team was ultra garbage, bottom of the barrel, cull, trash. That's saying alot because KU has had some really bad football teams, and that year was one of the worst. Turner Gill is a terrible coach, and got fired, but he was good enough to beat Hawkins.

Last edited:
Hawkins is an absolute idiot. Slick is a rat, but he's smart. Hawkins could win at Boise against $h!T teams, but he could never have won 10 games twice with Mac's talent. He would have blown some games with a 24 or 30 point lead example KU. That KU team was ultra garbage, bottom of the barrel, cull, trash. That's saying alot because KU has had some really bad football teams, and that year was one of the worst. Turner Gill is a terrible coach, and got fired, but he was good enough to beat Hawkins.

:lol:

I get your point. This whole argument is like "which smells worse, horsesh*t or dogsh*t". I'm glad both are gone, relegated to commentating and not ruining proud programs.

Back