1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Worst Major Conference Loss

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Bama Charlie, Aug 31, 2008.

1. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

ACC-VaTech losing to East Carolina
    B11-UM losing to Utah
    SEC-MSU losing to LaTech
    B12-TAMU losing to Arky St
    Big East-Pitt losing to Bowling Green
    Pac 10-Wazzou? losing to OSU

I have to go with the VaTech loss.
    UM would be second.

2. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

i see this year as having the potential of rivaling last year with respect to upsets.

in general, there is a disconnect between the polls and reality, and the disconnect is getting shockingly large. being as poll position factors into the bcs formula, i think that a glaring and serious issue.

3. The Guest

The Guest Guest

1. VT
    2. Pitt
    3. Blue (new coach, and I'm kinda getting used to UM losing at home in the opener)
    4. Tex AM.

I don't consider the OSU victory a big surprise. Two BCS conferences, and frankly Washington State isn't supposed to be that good (I don't think) and OSU is returning a lot of talent.

Didn't the SEC get a coach from OSU too?

4. slidin37

slidin37 New Member

I watched the Mich-Utah game with a buddy who's a Mich fan. That game was definitely disappointing, but not surprising considering the situation up there.

I think I agree with you on the VaTech loss...especially how they lost-special teams. It actually made me chuckle considering how often you hear just how good the VaTech Special Teams are.

I think second has to be aTm. I was pretty surprised to see that score pop up there yesterday.

5. Bama Charlie

Bama Charlie Well-Known Member

That was their only loss. I would think OSU would have been favored.

LSU got 'The Hat' aka Les Miles from OSU.

6. RalphieSpeaks

RalphieSpeaks Club Member Club Member

Va Tech....but A&M isn't far behind

7. The Guest

The Guest Guest

I'm sticking with Pitt at #2. A ranked team...it was supposed to be Wannstadt's year (again) AND some momentum coming off of last year's WVU victory. I was shocked at the Pitt loss.

8. OUBuff

OUBuff American Club Member

I have to go w/ the A&M loss. A loss by any B12 team (even w/ A&M's current difficulties) to a FCS nobody is a more significant loss. Although those of you in the west never hear of ECU, they aren't bad. They beat Boisie St in a bowl last year and finished well. Still a big loss for a team w/ the talent and tradition of a VT, but I vote A&M.

9. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

they were talking about that yesterday - about how ecu had been building to this point.

10. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

i agree with ATM as #1.....Va Tech lost to a team that has a "name" coach and won some games, is favored to win it's division in C-USA. Va Tech is also coming off a L to KU (3rd or 4th best team in the Big XII last year) in the Orange Bowl as a weak BCS champion. lack the playmaker at QB they've had in the past. game is also on the road.

losing to Arkie State with all the hoopla around anything ATM and almighty Kyle (in their own views)...really shatters the foundations of the program and hits maybe some hard truths about where Aggie football has been for the last decade. flatlined in a conference with a lot of teams getting better: Tech, MU, KU, CU, OSU....to whom they have much more in common than the South powers they like to compare themselves to. and, what's worse, that first group is going one way and ATM is going the other....seems.

11. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

#1 - Pitt's loss to Bowling Green (They got spanked, at home, by a MAC team. They couldn't even mount a come-back, at home.)

#2 - MSU's loss to LaTech (The other $ec dawgs were supposed to be better...LaTech is usually scheduled for a sure bcs team win)

#3 - VaTech's loss to East Carolina (Not so much the fact that they lost, it's how they lost. ECU dominated both lines of scrimmage - they made VaTech's defense look very un-hokie-like.)

12. RalphieSpeaks

when will people learn.....and why does he still have a job coaching at any level? :confused:

13. The Guest

The Guest Guest

Actually, that's a pretty compelling argument--if any Wandstadt loss surprises you, it's your own damn fault.

But you gotta admit...that mustache is magnificent!

14. RalphieSpeaks

and unchanged since his days at dallas....he must have a mold that he uses to shape that thing :cool:

15. SanDiegoBuff

SanDiegoBuff Club Member Club Member

EVERYONE predicted an ECU upset over VaTech... EVERYONE predicted Utah to beat UM, in fact, I think Utah was favored. You left one off though, Oregon State losing to Stanford. Oregon state was the trendy pick to come in second in the Pac-10 and Stanford was expected to go 0-fer the season.

16. broncos1

broncos1 Member

O-fer really?

17. BuffsRising

BuffsRising Well-Known Member

A little off topic, but congrats on the win against clemson. You guys looked really strong(which of course makes our close loss to you guys last year look much better!). Hopefully we'll play you guys again this year in a much bigger bowl!

18. virginiabuff

virginiabuff New Member

I think the worst conference loss was Clemson because they were arguably the best of the ACC. They are ranked the highest for an ACC team and loss to a "middle" SEC team. It just goes to show how dominant the SEC teams are.

19. The Guest

The Guest Guest

...or how bad preseason polls are.

20. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It's been said already, but Pitt losing to anybody cannot be considered a surprise. The fact that they're ranked has me questioning the pollsters sanity. Wanstedt has lost everywhere he's gone. It's not just a question of why he still has a job, but why he keeps getting opportunities to kill a new program.

21. broncos1

broncos1 Member

Couldn't have said it better myself.

22. Varsity

Varsity Member

#1 Pitt
    #2 Agroids

23. Swish

Swish Half a bubble off Club Member

I would go with VTech and A&M. Both got a humiliating kick in the crotch.

Some other things I noticed this weekend....

SC looked good against the Cavaliers. One of the few powerhouses that didn't play a school from one of the smaller divisions

Mizzou and West Va. look vulnerable and Texas Tech looked like another season of not getting over the hump.

The Buffs better start working on that Eastern Washington passing game right now

And I think Saban has your boys going in the right direction big time. They trampled Clemson!

24. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Exactly, ECU is a decent program in Conference USA and they just gave Holtz an extension. They're a projected bowl team this year. That's not as bad a loss at Pitt losing to BGSU or A&M losing to Arky State, and both of these were on their home fields.