What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would Kentucky make the playoffs in the NBA Eastern Conference?

Is Kentucky an NBA playoff team in the East?

• Yes

Votes: 8 10.4%
  • No

Votes: 69 89.6%

• Total voters
There's always that kind of talk. Sports journalism is a joke for that reason alone. Can't wait for them to say this for the next few weeks and then UK loses in the finals (doubtful, but I bet it gets time on PTI and Pass the Horn).

They said the same about the USC Trojans in 05 beating the winless Detroit Lions. Umm, no. Then USC lost and you only saw the media slobbing on Mac brown and VY.

There's always that kind of talk. Sports journalism is a joke for that reason alone. Can't wait for them to say this for the next few weeks and then UK loses in the finals (doubtful, but I bet it gets time on PTI and Pass the Horn).

They said the same about the USC Trojans in 05 beating the winless Detroit Lions. Umm, no. Then USC lost and you only saw the media slobbing on Mac brown and VY.

I would never say it in football. Quarterback alone makes it a virtual impossibility. Throw in 10-year vets on the OL. Just ridiculous.

But basketball? There are AAU teams (even eliminating their seniors-to-be) that would make the NCAA tournament. Age & maturity isn't as big of a deal in hoops. Talent overcomes most of the time. I have no doubts that Kentucky would get overwhelmed in a NBA playoff series regardless of the team they met, but I'm leaning toward thinking that they'd be able to win 35 regular season games in the Eastern Conference. They'd be the most athletic team and also the tallest team. Cauley-Stein would be the conference's best defensive center right now and top 3 overall.

P.S. While I say that about Cauley-Stein, Towns at the 4 will probably be picked ahead of him. Ridiculous front court with talented guys 6'10" and taller backing them up.

Not sure if you're responding to Nik's original question, or the comment above yours, but I agree with you on both.

It was in response to Nik's OP, but I agree with you in disagreeing with the comment above my OP.

Larry Brown is also the only coach who couldn't win an Olympic Gold Medal with NBA players. So there's that. :smile2:

You shut your whore mouth if you're going to spew bile at my LB mancrush. :smile2:

I don't think they would make the playoffs, but they would win some games. Mock nba drafts have 7 guys from the roster getting drafted including 3 or possibly 4 lottery picks.

Last edited:
No. Very much no. They'd struggle beat any NBA team. Individual players good enough to play professional ball, but this is still a college team, made up entirely of 18 and 19 yrs olds. Just, no.

Hellz no they would not make the NBA playoffs, and I' d be surprised if they even won a game. I don't see UK beating the Nuggets, Knicks, 76ers, or the Timberwolves. Here is why.

#1 - UK is not as talented as an NBA Team, don't fool yourselves. These are the pros, these are grown arse men.

#2 - UK is very young compared to NBA teams.

#3 - NBA players play and practice against the best competition in the world.

#4 - The NBA 3pt line is further.

#5 - NBA defensive is different, Kentucky would not be able to cheat on the help side.

#6 - UK's guards and swingmen would get abused by an NBA backcourt.

#7 - 24 second shot clock. UK doesn't have the best shot creators and would be hard pressed to find good shots to score consistently.

Larry Brown is talking out his arse, trying to get himself some pub or something. I think people forget how good the PRO's are.

I think the differences between the NBA and college hoops are being overstated a bit. It's not THAT big of a jump. Before the rule changes, lots of guys like Kobe, Labron and KG went straight to the NBA from high school. By most accounts, UK has 6 or 7 guys that are NBA quality, some of whom are NBA elite quality. They could compete, but I still think they'd struggle with the grind of such a long season.

I think the differences between the NBA and college hoops are being overstated a bit. It's not THAT big of a jump. Before the rule changes, lots of guys like Kobe, Labron and KG went straight to the NBA from high school. By most accounts, UK has 6 or 7 guys that are NBA quality, some of whom are NBA elite quality. They could compete, but I still think they'd struggle with the grind of such a long season.

I disagree that there is an already NBA Elite guy on UK's team right now. No one on UK's team would be considered a top 50 NBA player if they went to the league right this second.

I don't think they could. They are still developing physically and would be abused by the size/strength of the nba players. Defensively, the wcats rely on weak side help and seem to live for the high light blocks - the nba'ers would smoke them with kick out treys.

Haha. Wow. Is this a joke or offseason boredom? For the 5 of you who voted yes, I am an awesome bookie.

Vegas votes no.

"And so when the Westgate Las Vegas Race and Sports Book tells ESPN Radio's "Mike & Mike" that the
New York Knicks would be heavy favorites over theKentucky Wildcats, we should listen, and put an end to this silly debate over a 37-0 college basketball team's chances in the NBA — even against the Knicks."
https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaa...avily-favored-against-kentucky-193445816.html

that's a strong point. even strong, IMO, was Calipari stating there was no way.

I would never say it in football. Quarterback alone makes it a virtual impossibility. Throw in 10-year vets on the OL. Just ridiculous.

But basketball? There are AAU teams (even eliminating their seniors-to-be) that would make the NCAA tournament. Age & maturity isn't as big of a deal in hoops. Talent overcomes most of the time. I have no doubts that Kentucky would get overwhelmed in a NBA playoff series regardless of the team they met, but I'm leaning toward thinking that they'd be able to win 35 regular season games in the Eastern Conference. They'd be the most athletic team and also the tallest team. Cauley-Stein would be the conference's best defensive center right now and top 3 overall.

P.S. While I say that about Cauley-Stein, Towns at the 4 will probably be picked ahead of him. Ridiculous front court with talented guys 6'10" and taller backing them up.

You know your sports, and I respect 99% of your posts. However, since you post so quickly and often to all things, let this be one of the 1% of the posts/topics that I find absolutely ridiculous.

Kentucky could beat an NBA team, especially some of the younger bottom-feeders, but they would not win a 7-game series against even a bottom-feeder. Talent overcomes most of the time, but outside of Towns, I do not see a sure-fire, 10+ year pro on Kentucky's roster right now. The jump from top AAU to NBA is a bigger jump in terms of athleticism and skill. You also refer to Isiah Thomas a few posts ago - that guy's game is similar to when is in college, but no doubt, he has worked on his game and gotten better as a pro.

Kentucky has a handful of pros on its roster. An NBA team has all pros on its roster. No college team is going to win over 20 games in a full regular season in the pros.

Lastly, the college game is also weaker than it used to be in my opinion. I truly think the skill and fundamentals of the college game have gone down due to the NBA's lack of concern for the overall game of basketball. So, yes, Kentucky is the most impressive team we've seen in awhile, but I also don't think that they are better than some of the past great teams that have won it all in the recent past.

yes, and even LeBron didn't win in his first season. None of those guys did. Only HS to pro guy I can think of that made a huge splash was Dawkins. I'm not sure how you define "THAT big of a jump"... ...but YES IT IS.

And...do you really see anyone on Kentucky's roster being on Kobe, LeBron, KG, etc level? For me...clear answer is NO. I do like Towns a lot though.

Say this Kentucky team played those great UNLV teams, who ya got? I'd say UNLV.

The 90-91 team had its starters play in the NBA for a combined 46 years. That is ridiculous.

Not sure how long these guys will last.

Towns will be around for awhile unless his imaginary friend ****s him all up. Cauley-Stein can be a Tyson Chandler type with maybe a little more O. I might like the Lyles kid as much as any of them.

You guys remember Isaiah Thomas II at Washington? He was Boston's leading scorer before getting hurt. Jeff Green's their best player. He was a nice player at Georgetown but wasn't a superstar.

Kentucky is playing 9 McDonald's All-Americans. 6 guys returned from last year's team who could have gone to the NBA but decided to come back. They have more talent and more height than most NBA teams. The only things that might hold them back are outside shooting and physical strength. I think they've got enough to overcome that to be better than the glut of crap in the East.

Nice discussion item, anyway. After 5 years of NBA experience get the guys together and they'd probably do ok. That's assuming at least 5 would be in the NBA for 5 years.

Agree to disagree lol. Yeah they are bigger but UNLV wasn't small and they were grown ass men. LJ would've tore them a new ahole.

It's weird for me to go against the best from my memories. I had always said either UNC with Jordan, Worthy & Perkins or UNLV with LJ, Augmon & Anthony. I should put a caveat - Kentucky has to win or they're in the Houston with Hakeem & Drexler or Michigan with Weber, Rose & Howard group that's a tier below.

P.S. Laettner, Hill & Hurley Duke would be right there as a college-only team but not in the NBA talent discussion.

It's weird for me to go against the best from my memories. I had always said either UNC with Jordan, Worthy & Perkins or UNLV with LJ, Augmon & Anthony. I should put a caveat - Kentucky has to win or they're in the Houston with Hakeem & Drexler or Michigan with Weber, Rose & Howard group that's a tier below.

P.S. Laettner, Hill & Hurley Duke would be right there as a college-only team but not in the NBA talent discussion.
I got to see LJ play over in Odessa, I think? It was before Unlv. Damn, he was nasty. Kentucky will win if they bring it.

they didnt break through... they were gifted through... US got screwed

Well yes there's that, as I recall the Ruskies kept getting do-overs until they made the winning basket. But being in position to win at the end was a break through of sorts.

Of the 7-8 Kentucky players that will eventually go to the NBA, chances are that maybe 1 of them will be any sort of difference maker or even solid starter for their respective team. The rest will be JAGs or fizzle out over a few years. Zero chance they make the playoff against proven NBA starters.

Nice discussion item, anyway. After 5 years of NBA experience get the guys together and they'd probably do ok. That's assuming at least 5 would be in the NBA for 5 years.

This Kentucky team has a load of talent. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't end up with 4-5 solid NBA starters with 1-2 all-start types. Not the greatest college team of all time but certainly in recent years they are.

That said in an game against NBA players that actually counted for something they would get boat raced. We are talking about pro players, guys who are the best from all 300+ D1 teams plus international players. They also are the guys that know that their time in the league for the most part could end the moment a GM decides they are replaceable by a guy on a D-league roster.

KU might win a pre-season game against an NBA squad that decides that putting out the effort that night isn't worth their time but a real game, not a chance.

What would be interesting though would be to take the KU roster, put them all together on one team and develop them in the NBA for 2-3 years along with some free agents and mid to lower draft choices to fill the roster and see how they would do.

This Kentucky team has a load of talent. Wouldn't surprise me if they don't end up with 4-5 solid NBA starters with 1-2 all-start types. Not the greatest college team of all time but certainly in recent years they are.

That said in an game against NBA players that actually counted for something they would get boat raced. We are talking about pro players, guys who are the best from all 300+ D1 teams plus international players. They also are the guys that know that their time in the league for the most part could end the moment a GM decides they are replaceable by a guy on a D-league roster.

KU might win a pre-season game against an NBA squad that decides that putting out the effort that night isn't worth their time but a real game, not a chance.

What would be interesting though would be to take the KU roster, put them all together on one team and develop them in the NBA for 2-3 years along with some free agents and mid to lower draft choices to fill the roster and see how they would do.
KU?

Back