What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

would Landry Jones be starting at CU, or sitting behind Cody

So you're just going with the coaches on the QB selection?

Me too, I'm going with their statement that Hansen had caught up and it was a tossup who to play. If that's true, and QB #1a isn't playing well, then QB #1b ought to get a chance.

That's reasonable logic. BUT, the ultimate decision was to start Cody, and then Hansen requested to redshirt. Since he wanted to redshirt, it's understandable they haven't thrown him out there just to stir **** up.

Stats Comparison between QBs (TF vs. 3rd year Soph) last year

Rushing
Player G Att Gain Loss NET att. game TD Long 10+ 5+ game
Tyler Hansen ..................... 5 63 322 61 261 4.14 52.2 0 24 12 32 86
Cody Hawkins ................... 12 57 150 173 - 23 - 0.04 - 1.9 3 19 6 11 26

Passing
Player G Att-Com-Int (T) Pct. Yards att. comp. TD Long Sacked Att. Yards Avg.

Cody Hawkins ........ 12 320-183-10 (4) 57.2 1,892 5.9 10.3 17 68t 20/151 377 1,869 5.0
Tyler Hansen .......... 5 65- 34- 4 (0) 52.3 2804.3 8.2 1 29 8/43 128 541 4.2

I would personally give up 5% completion rate for the additional threat on the ground.

And again we are talking about last year, a true freshman with no Spring Practice was able to but up similar numbers in the air.

You can't tell me Cody is that much better than Hansen this year from what we have seen so far.

Tyler had a better QB rating than Cody in the MU game.

Go back and look at how they used Tyler. Run on first and second and try to pass on third and long. Passing stats never look good in that scenario.

They pulled Tyler's redshirt to play him over Nelson, which indicated he was the future of the Buffs. If they would have kept giving him game time experience maybe we would not be in the exact same situation again this year.

The two things we know for certain:
1. There is a high probability Cody will not get us to a bowl game again this year.
2. Nobody else has ever been given a fair game time chance to take his job.

So while he got three starts, now the gameplan was to blame for the performance? I'll take you at your word his rating was higher at Mizzou, but he was certainly not effective in that game, and by the time Cody was in it was already lost. In the ISU game, when all the snaps meant something, the better qb was obvious.

In regard to your certainties, I agree with the first ( but don't think a QB change will effect that outcome), and disagree with the second.

Cody will start and continue to start as long is his dad is the head coach and I am a firm beleiver of that. He's on his 3rd year behind the helms and quite honestly I have yet to see improvement.

That's reasonable logic. BUT, the ultimate decision was to start Cody, and then Hansen requested to redshirt. Since he wanted to redshirt, it's understandable they haven't thrown him out there just to stir **** up.

I would think that he requested a redshirt because in the back of his mind he thinks he is not going to get a fair shot until Cody is gone. I hope the ***tty start to the season wakes the coaches up and realizes that the current personel is not working out so hot.

i have a real hard time trying to "logic" that red-shirting Hanson means he has a chance to beat out senior Cody Hawkins.

the whole thing is stupid.

Mick - I understand that in a certain light, it can sound dumb. But, if you feel that you have someone you can groom into a solid player, but just isn't there yet. And at the same time, you have someone that you feel can better help you win football games, why not save the project's eligibility for the future? It's all opinion- who knows what the coaches are thinking, but I think that this is Cody's last year. Next year will be Hansen or Evans, and after that, who knows.

BuffFan - I don't understand how you can seriously state that Hansen wasn't given a fair shot. You're calling for Cody's job in the "first half of the first game", and yet you think Hansen's playing time last year needed to be extended. I understand you were probably exaggerating (hopefully at least) and that Cody has a few years of less-than-stellar performance. But Hansen has done nothing in games or practices to show he's better for CU. Hawkins is not to blame for our horrible start. Yes, he hasn't been great, but neither has our play selection, defensive game plan, or overall team play.

The stats - okay, Cody may have only been 5% better completing throws, but come on...do you not remember Hansen looking really tentative out there, getting ready to run as soon as the slightest hint of pressure came? Cody was better for the team last season - ISU clearly showed that. I think he's better for us this year too. (if you want a threat on the ground, BJax was way better in that regard...you want him back there?)

I understand all of your gripes about Cody, but I do not think that unfairly bashing him is warranted. This thread hasn't done that, but other ones have. I do think his criticism is heightened because of his father being the coach. He's the best we have right now...it sucks, but he is. We might as well support him. We don't have to be sunshine pumpers, but start chanting "Tyler Hansen" when our entire team is underperforming??

As much as we all hate to admit it, we all know that Cody isn't the reason we lost to CSU or Toledo.

i have a real hard time trying to "logic" that red-shirting Hanson means he has a chance to beat out senior Cody Hawkins.

the whole thing is stupid.

I can hear it now. "Cody is a fifth year senior, you can't buy that kind of experience and leadership".

IMO DH isn't sitting around thinking he'll start CH just because he's his son. He probably really thinks his kid is the best option at QB. I happen to think my kid is the smartest, best looking, most well rounded kid in his class. His teacher...I'd bet, may think otherwise. I wonder what other coaches around the B12 think....

I can hear it now. "Cody is a fifth year senior, you can't buy that kind of experience and leadership".

IMO DH isn't sitting around thinking he'll start CH just because he's his son. He probably really thinks his kid is the best option at QB. I happen to think my kid is the smartest, best looking, most well rounded kid in his class. His teacher...I'd bet, may think otherwise. I wonder what other coaches around the B12 think....

:smile2: Don't change a thing, Just keep on keeping on. It's worked so far because you are "almost there".

Mick - I understand that in a certain light, it can sound dumb. But, if you feel that you have someone you can groom into a solid player, but just isn't there yet. And at the same time, you have someone that you feel can better help you win football games, why not save the project's eligibility for the future? It's all opinion- who knows what the coaches are thinking, but I think that this is Cody's last year. Next year will be Hansen or Evans, and after that, who knows.

BuffFan - I don't understand how you can seriously state that Hansen wasn't given a fair shot. You're calling for Cody's job in the "first half of the first game", and yet you think Hansen's playing time last year needed to be extended. I understand you were probably exaggerating (hopefully at least) and that Cody has a few years of less-than-stellar performance. But Hansen has done nothing in games or practices to show he's better for CU. Hawkins is not to blame for our horrible start. Yes, he hasn't been great, but neither has our play selection, defensive game plan, or overall team play.

The stats - okay, Cody may have only been 5% better completing throws, but come on...do you not remember Hansen looking really tentative out there, getting ready to run as soon as the slightest hint of pressure came? Cody was better for the team last season - ISU clearly showed that. I think he's better for us this year too. (if you want a threat on the ground, BJax was way better in that regard...you want him back there?)

I understand all of your gripes about Cody, but I do not think that unfairly bashing him is warranted. This thread hasn't done that, but other ones have. I do think his criticism is heightened because of his father being the coach. He's the best we have right now...it sucks, but he is. We might as well support him. We don't have to be sunshine pumpers, but start chanting "Tyler Hansen" when our entire team is underperforming??

Tyler struggles and never sees the field again. Cody struggles and keeps being put back in the game. Your right Tyler and Cody have been give the same fair chances. :wow:

Back