1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would Mike Shanahan be a good hire for CU?

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by JimmyBuff, Nov 15, 2009.

?

Would Mike Shanahan be a good hire for CU?

1. YES

71.9%
  2. NO

15.8%
  3. Unsure

12.3%
  1. JimmyBuff

JimmyBuff Well-Known Member

Poll time..

2. 13Buff

13Buff Club Member Club Member

Yes, before the poll is even up, as long as there is some kind of continuity in place for when he goes back to the NFL in a few years, I think it would be huge.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. Lt.Col.FrankSlade

Lt.Col.FrankSlade Well-Known Member

I voted yes, simply because I think it would be a PR watershed.

4. JimmyBuff

:yeahthat:

CU Football would actually matter again..

5. InTheBuff

InTheBuff Club Member Club Member

short term yes.... there would be renewed interest in Colorado football as season tickets would be snatched up, the media would be in his back pocket and got to think he could get some serious talent into Boulder on name alone...

long term I'm not sure.... I'd be concerned how soon he goes to the NFL - even if he did not right away, I think his name would always be in the news when a big time NFL job opened up. I also am not sure he's as great of a coach as we think. What has he done when Mr. Elway was not under center? Could he handle the 'grades' aspect of being head on a college team?

6. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

the only reason i voted unsure were because i dunno how long he would stay

7. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

It would be huge in the short term. Recruiting would be improved - who wouldn't want to play for a guy who won 2 superbowls? My concern would be his dedication to the job. I'm not sure he understands the differences between the college and pro game.

8. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

Sweet

[​IMG]

9. Unleash Hell

Unleash Hell Well-Known Member

Umm Pete Carroll anybody? Recruiting would be good, he loves Colorado. Darting off to the NFL would be a concern, but even a short time fix would be huge for this program right now. If Shanny would come for 3 years I would take him in a heartbeat!

10. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

:iagree:

The money that the school would see from season tickets next year would be reason enough to hire him even if just for a year or two (with the understanding that there was a plan in place for beyond).

11. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Is it really a question whether one of the greatest football coaches of the modern era would be a good hire at CU?

12. JimmyBuff

bingo.. I don't like living in the what if he leaves arena.. You can't make decisions like that. Bohn needs to hire the best coach he can.. Shanahan fits that criteria

13. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

Haha, I remember when Hawk was fired, that was one of the biggest concerns. Turns out it was the complete opposite. If that is ever a problem, it is better than what we have now as that means the guy did well enough to go get hired somewhere else and will probably leave the program in good shape.

14. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

I voted no because I want a long term solution and Shanahan is not it, IMO.

I would like to see a coordinator from a top school who can recruit. I believe recruiting ability is an important criteria for the CU job plus someone who has a reputation for motivating players.

15. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

What recruits better than an NFL guy with a hand full of Super Bowl rings? You can bet Shanny would have a staff that is fairly knowledgeable of the college game and not just a bunch of NFL guys that have never been to college.

As for him being a long term solution, you can't hire that guy, he doesn't exist. You never know who will be the long term solution until they have been deemed a success.

16. BlackNGold

BlackNGold Club Member Club Member

That really works for Charlie Weiss. Stoops, Mack Brown, Urban Meyer, Nick Saban don't have a bunch of SuperBowl rings but they seem to be able to recruit just fine.

17. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

I am not going to argue with you as you just compared Charlie Weiss to Mike Shanahan. That tells me all I need to know.

18. DrunkPanda

DrunkPanda Active Member

if we hired mike shanahan, we'd probably get 3 5 star runningbacks a year. we would be in the national spotlight again. probably get a lot more donations. i think he'd be a great hire even if he didn't accomplish much on the football field

19. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

I want what you are smoking. I love CU but it is rediculous to compare us to ND, OU, TU, FU and bama. Charlie Brown would recruit well at those schools.

20. Timbuff10

Timbuff10 Member

I can't agree with that... Have you been to any of these campuses? Sure they have a better football program the past few years but we were kicking the crap out of Texas and OU last decade. Beat ND for a national title... Have you ever tasted the tap water down in Florida? We get a new coach with a few winning years under his belt and a couple bowl appearances and we are right there.

21. Buttermaker

Buttermaker Active Member

I have been to all of those campuses and seen half the athletic facilities. It is like a major league park versus a minor league park.

Kicking the crap out of OU and Texas the last decade = wrong. We are:

2 - 5 vs OU and 1 - 7 vs. Tex in the past decade

22. ThndringHerd

ThndringHerd Well-Known Member

Maybe the top offensive mind at any level of football. Tons of star power.

I can't believe anyone voted 'no'.

23. BuffFan

BuffFan Member

:smokin::canabis:
    I believe historically they are all have more storied programs then us. All the other programs with the exception of Bama have more national championships and Heisman trophy’s then us. I also believe they have better winning records than us. Yes we had a good run, and yes we can get there again; but sorry every one of those teams has a better track record than us.

OU has at least 6 national championships and you think the few years we dominated them can compare to that.

Texas and Florida are the big collages in big states with some of the best players in the country.

And Notre Dame is a class to itself.

Sad but true.

24. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

:yeahthat:

I just can't imagine this guy staying put at CU. It sounds like the current plan is to set up Kyle and move on when his package from Bowlen ends.

Perhaps as I've become older, I have evolved into somewhat of an age-racist. Kyle may be a bright kid, but he is 29 yrs old. I want a coach who grew up on Atari, not X Box.

25. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

I think a younger HC will relate better to the kids that they will be recruiting. If Shanny stays around for 3 years and then Kyle is promoted to HC he will be 32. Still young but will have a ton of experience in both pro and college by that time.

26. B1Buff

B1Buff Active Member

Long term is the BIG maybe. I think he stays if we can do 2 things with him here (which is a big if at this point anyway):

1) Quick turnaround - If we can have an Alabama/USC-esque turn around and be in the top 10 in his first year as well as stay well within the conversation for the 2 following years, I think he may get caught up in the NC race and media attention.

2) Money - we would have to be able to offer him BIG dollars in year 4. This is possible if they put it in the budget and plan for it for year 4. Only having to pay him 500K for years 1-3 and currently having a HC budget of 1M that leaves an extra 3M after 3 years. If we can offer him close to 3M/year (if he is very successful after that time) it is possible he will stay. However, it will take a fair amount of creative accounting. Since that money is earmarked and only good for 2 years (I think) they will need to use the left over funds to reinvest in better facilities etc to get better recruits and more butts in seats.

27. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

:lol:

28. CSU Husker

CSU Husker Well-Known Member

Read a rumor about Kyle Shanahan as HC with Mike as consultant. Hows that sit with y'all?

29. stampy

stampy Well-Known Member

No like. Looking at Kyle's career, it seems that all his jobs have been given to him by his dad's buds, he really didn't come up through the school of hard knocks. It may be unfair, but that's how it looks.

30. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Hes gotten help, but the results are good. He's kicking ass in Texas. That offense was **** before he got there.