What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Would the Pac presidents really accept Kenneth Starr into their ranks?

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Most of us remember him as the guy who led the Bill Clinton impeachment circus. While that may not sit well with the political leanings of the Pac 10 members (except for the Arizona institutions), it would not be a deal killer in itself.

But Kenneth Starr also gave over 3 hours of testimony in favor of Proposition 8, the law that banned same-sex marriages in California via constitutional amendment. Starr was Dean of the Pepperdine law school at the time. He also made many statements on the issue that Californians felt were inflammatory.

It is largely the rabid support given by BYU to Prop 8 that has, in effect, disqualified them from being considered for Pac membership. Cal and Stanford have made it clear that consideration of BYU is a non-starter. There is very good reason to believe that Baylor will be looked at in the same way as BYU.

(P.S. - there has also been quite a bit of stuff authored by Baylor faculty members in support of Intelligent Design being taught in public schools since, they say, it is a scientific theory and not an issue of church-state.)

this is what I would push at the Cal's, UCLA and Stanford's to smash Baylor's chance (although I'm not a huge fan of this but since they are ****ting on us, **** them)

I can't see all 10 Pac-10 schools accepting Baylor as an entrant, they'll convince a few, but not all 10. I can't see Cal going for it at all, and they'll cary quite a bit of sway with the other Cali schools.

Academically who do we have good relationships with in the Pac 10? Cross-research stuff or something like that?

if they didn't want byu, i fail to see how baylor is a better option.

plus, you add in ken starr, the natural texas arrogance, and the pathetic display of their university president (woo, we're cooler because our baptist followers love us) and you've got yourself a nice self-inflicted gunshot wound to their chances. i hope it does the trick.

i would venture a guess, only halfway in jest, that there are more CU alums in california than church-going baptists. and, yes, i realize that there are probably some folks who are both... smiles.

Academically who do we have good relationships with in the Pac 10? Cross-research stuff or something like that?

I know we have a solid relationship with U of A. Lots of astrophysics research and development cooperation and sharing of resources.

Hasn't he been Baylor's president for like 5 minutes? So Pac 10, you want to deal with this guy who's got about 30 hours of experience on the job telling you why Baylor is a better option than Colorado?

This sounds good, except for Bruce Benson's polotical background. He may not be as polarizing as Starr, but he's probably not voting the same ticket as the faculty at Berkely, either.

The real difference is that CU's faculty is unlikely to be writing papers in support of intelligent design as a curriculum...

Back