What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

would you support Ceal Barry as the new AD?

Would you support/donate to Ceal Barry as AD?

• Yes

Votes: 11 12.5%
  • No

Votes: 77 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hiring an AD will take months...Rutgers hired their new AD too quickly and how has that turned out?

I have no issue taking some time to vet this properly, but if it was a well thought out planned decision don't you think we'd have heard something about the search committee by now?

It's not that I don't like Ceal. It's only that she doesnt meet the criteria that was given for someone to replace Bohn. I don't want to replace Mike with 'Bohn lite'.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

I would give her a chance but it would be on the level of show me. I would be extremely dissapointed and not optimistic but I would not withhold my annual donation initially.

Rest easy. She says she's not a candidate. She will chair the search committee.
http://www.dailycamera.com/sports/c...-cu-buffs-athletic-director-search?source=rss

Former women's basketball coach Ceal Barry will lead the search for the University of Colorado's next athletic director, and she announced today that she won't be a candidate for the job.

Former athletic director Mike Bohn was forced to resign effective June 3 and Barry is serving as the interim director. Barry acknowledged her roles as interim athletic director and chairwoman of the search committee preclude her from being a candidate for the job on a permanent basis.

“I thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that I can best serve the university and the department by working hard as the interim director, and by helping move the process forward by chairing the search,” Barry said in a statement. “As a former coach, and current senior woman administrator and associate athletic director, I look forward to helping the new AD hit the ground running to achieve our goals and move the department forward.”

Anyone else think it's strange to have the first subordinate hire the boss? I get having her on the committee, but I'm not sure she should head it. As interim AD, she'd be influential to begin with.

"I don't want anyone to think that while we search for a new AD that things are standing still in athletics," said DiStefano. "Ceal is moving things ahead and working hard to position our department operationally and financially. She will also play a key role in easing the transition of our new AD once he or she is chosen. I remain grateful for her leadership in taking on these vital roles."

Yea OK Phil

quote and the imaginary inner voice:

[Damn, the BDC and innerwebz scum won't leave me alone, so now I have address it-- what's the hurry on a search committee? It is Summer, for chrissakes!]

"I don't want anyone to think that while we search for a new AD that things are standing still in athletics,"

[It doesn't matter if we ARE, in fact, standing still. I just don't want anyone to think that]

"Ceal is moving things ahead and working hard to position our department operationally and financially."

[Thank God I have someone else I can point to on this stuff so I don't have to be accountable. It is like a bomb, waiting to go off.]

"She will also play a key role in easing the transition of our new AD once he or she is chosen."

[Better her than me. I can't believe I have to have this stuff rolling up to me. At least Ceal can do the hand-holding.]

"I remain grateful for her leadership in taking on these vital roles."

[If I need a scapegoat, I've got one.]

Anyone else think it's strange to have the first subordinate hire the boss? I get having her on the committee, but I'm not sure she should head it. As interim AD, she'd be influential to begin with.

It's definitely strange. But as I posted in the Newsroom thread, we kind of need to go outside the chain of command structure here.

I like the whole equation.

We knew Benson wouldn't lead an AD search. We don't trust a booster group or Regents to do it. So the choice comes down to Ceal or Phil.

I could dance a jig right now I'm so happy. Ceal knows what a coach needs to feel supported and have a chance to win a championship. She also knows where the AD fell short on a daily basis & with certain larger initiatives from working in the department these last several years and being the interim AD right now.

I trust her to make an intelligent, informed choice for the AD position.

I wouldn't trust Phil to pick out a pair of black socks for me at the DSW.

This is as good as we could have realistically hoped for. I agree that she should know what a good AD looks like - a lot more than Phil ever would. I also agree that it'll be weird for her to chair the committee put in charge of hiring her own boss.

So, my initial nightmare averted, my new nightmare looks something like this: Ceal, after discovering that all of the willing candidates are no better than she thinks she would be, decides to put her own name back in the hat.

Hiring an AD is a little like hiring a head coach. At CU, your choices will be between current ADs at smaller schools and current associate ADs at larger schools. Hiring from either of those pools has it's risks.

This is as good as we could have realistically hoped for. I agree that she should know what a good AD looks like - a lot more than Phil ever would. I also agree that it'll be weird for her to chair the committee put in charge of hiring her own boss.

So, my initial nightmare averted, my new nightmare looks something like this: Ceal, after discovering that all of the willing candidates are no better than she thinks she would be, decides to put her own name back in the hat.

Hiring an AD is a little like hiring a head coach. At CU, your choices will be between current ADs at smaller schools and current associate ADs at larger schools. Hiring from either of those pools has it's risks.
Which avenue do you think we should take? I like the MM hire (current AD at smaller school type of hire), but you could make a case for an associate who knows what a winning AD looks like. I think the primary trait should be an AD that knows how to lead a fundraising campaign and engage all levels of the donor base.

Looks like DiStiff has assembled his AD search committee. A somewhat strange combination of individuals. Not sure why Loony was chosen. And why the DP wrote that MB resigned his position is beyond me. I may be reading too much into this article, but DiStiff's comment seems to leave the door ajar for Berry to be the AD and trying to find the right person prior to football season starting might be rushing to fill the position.

Linky 4 U

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_23513518/cu-buffs-name-committee-search-new-athletic-director

Looks like DiStiff has assembled his AD search committee. A somewhat strange combination of individuals. Not sure why Loony was chosen. And why the DP wrote that MB resigned his position is beyond me. I may be reading too much into this article, but DiStiff's comment seems to leave the door ajar for Berry to be the AD and trying to find the right person prior to football season starting might be rushing to fill the position.

Linky 4 U

http://www.denverpost.com/cu/ci_23513518/cu-buffs-name-committee-search-new-athletic-director

Hmmm, lots of school administrators, no boosters, no coaches...color me nervous.

Hmmm, lots of school administrators, no boosters, no coaches...color me nervous.

I may be wrong, but my guess would be that the role of this committee is to come up with a recommendation for who the new AD should be. I would also imagine that other parties not officially on the search committee (coaches and certainly key boosters) will also have an opportunity to chime in with their thoughts. After that, the decision-makers will either go with the recommendation, or go in a different direction. Composition of this committee is not what worries me at this point.

I may be wrong, but my guess would be that the role of this committee is to come up with a recommendation for who the new AD should be. I would also imagine that other parties not officially on the search committee (coaches and certainly key boosters) will also have an opportunity to chime in with their thoughts. After that, the decision-makers will either go with the recommendation, or go in a different direction. Composition of this committee is not what worries me at this point.

I have no right to an opinion on the committee. I really liked the committee that was in place for the Embree hiring. I've just defaulted to my long-held belief that decisions shouldn't be made by committee. Committees are the tools of weak leadership. All they do is allow a bunch of people to deny accountability if things go wrong while claiming credit if things go right. Political bull****.

The decision maker is Phil, right? I would assume with Benson's blessing. Just seems odd to have a track team athlete but no coach or booster.

The decision maker is Phil, right? I would assume with Benson's blessing. Just seems odd to have a track team athlete but no coach or booster.

Yes, I would expect that Phil will be the decision maker for this one. We can only hope that Benson will actively insert himself into the process though.

It appears that at least four of seven committee members fall under Phil DiSephano's chain of command, and a fifth will have his signature on her diploma. I wonder how long it really took to assemble that committee, maybe a day or two? It's a pretty insular group infused with a pinch of gratuitous diversity.

If they really wanted diversity of opinion, they wouldn't have snubbed B4L. I wonder if Charles Johnson or any of the KOA radio crowd like Larry Zimmer or Mark Johnson were interested?

Ceal Barry, CU-Boulder interim AD and committee chair. http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=23916

Kelly Fox, CU-Boulder senior vice chancellor and CFO. https://www.cu.edu/content/cuappointskellyfoxvicepresidentchieffinancialofficer

Joe Jupille, CU-Boulder faculty representative, BFA Intercollegiate Athletics Committee. http://sobek.colorado.edu/~jupille/cv.pdf

David Clough, CU-Boulder Pac-12 faculty representative. http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=507655

Kurt Gulbrand, CU Foundation. http://www.cufund.org/2011/11/07/kurt-gulbrand-named-new-development-head-for-cu-buffs-athletics/

Doug Looney, alumni representative, former Sports Illustrated writer. http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004148/

Brittany Lewis, CU-Boulder student-athlete (track). http://www.cubuffs.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=600&ATCLID=205381735

I guess Doug Looney and Kurt Gulbrand are in the best position to represent the interests of big donors like Tom Marisco, George Solich and BuffaloBrad.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hugegroove, some valid questions about the makeup of the committee, but having an AD in place by football season is not rushing the decision. If you can't come to a decision in 6-7 weeks, the process has failed.

Looney is a better choice over Prick Reilly who I don't think considers herself an alumnus anymore.

Wasn't Clough on the Embree search committee as well?

Hugegroove, some valid questions about the makeup of the committee, but having an AD in place by football season is not rushing the decision. If you can't come to a decision in 6-7 weeks, the process has failed.

I agree with you to a point. However when hiring someone for the long haul, for a position as important as the AD, I want that crack committee to make the best possible choice. If it takes them 3-4 months, then so be it. I realize regardless of who is chosen, there will be those who will say WTF?

I would like to agree, but that December 2013 deadline looms large right now.

I have no right to an opinion on the committee. I really liked the committee that was in place for the Embree hiring. I've just defaulted to my long-held belief that decisions shouldn't be made by committee. Committees are the tools of weak leadership. All they do is allow a bunch of people to deny accountability if things go wrong while claiming credit if things go right. Political bull****.
Right on RE: Committees.

I can't believe these dumbasses are taking so long. This is a critical time when an AD should be focused on getting a contract extension to Tad Boyle and locking him up for the long term.

Back