What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WOW: RIP Rashaan Salaam (funeral service on Fri 12-9)

I agree, but in one way, there is the line of thought, however morbid, that however Rashaan's life ended, if his brain was left intact, there can be some evidence of CTE found.

I don't know if that is really any of our business either, but it would serve two purposes - to provide at least a partial answer as to why this happened, and, if his brain were to be donated to study, more answers might be found about CTE.

Did I miss where it was suggested he was suffering from CTE? I haven't read that, only people asking if it was CTE with no basis other than there have been other football players who suffered from CTE and committed suicide.

It seems like people want this to be a case of CTE.
We will never know. It doesn't appear that that level of autopsy was done. It sounds to me his was more a case of depression that wasn't CTE induced.

Reactions: dio
People want it to be CTE, because then they wouldn't have to focus on his psychological problems and it would ease the guilt feelings of family and friends. How many local friends are feeling pain because they didn't invite him to Thanksgiving dinner, etc?

also, I know nothing about Islamic funeral rites, but Rashaan was buried in the cheapest, plain pine box you could imagine. Is that traditional?

I asked this before, but we're there reports of concussions during his playing days?

Google not returning anything helpful. ACK that concussions weren't reported with as much focus back then.

In one of the pictures, it appeared the lid wasn't nailed down fully and I wondered about that. Do they bury the body in a shroud?
I could be wrong, but I believe it is tradition that burials are not done in coffins.

Heisman presentation show coming up in a few minutes, hopefully they will pay tribute to Rashaan. I can't imagine they won't but who knows with ESPN

People want it to be CTE, because then they wouldn't have to focus on his psychological problems and it would ease the guilt feelings of family and friends. How many local friends are feeling pain because they didn't invite him to Thanksgiving dinner, etc?
I don't think it was CTE, he had other issues, sorry to say.

I have no idea what led him to this act and to even speculate at this point may not be fair until they release more information.

That said this country has to get a better grip on finding ways to help those in our society with mental health issues, addiction issues, or a combination of both.

People and their families are suffering. The societal cost of not helping these people is huge, the benefits of treatment would offset much of the financial cost not to mention the simple human element.

I don't "want" this to be about CTE, and if you read my post closely, I specifically said that I wasn't sure if it was any of our business anyway. I was just providing a reason as to why someone might wonder about how someone might have committed the act. If that bothers you, fine.

The link to suicide, football players and CTE is strong and well established, and it seems silly to me to dismiss it out of hand.

I know you guys are boycotting The Post. Too bad because there is an insightful article in today's Post about Rashaan's battles with depression.

I know you guys are boycotting The Post. Too bad because there is an insightful article in today's Post about Rashaan's battles with depression.

Henderson is gone. Once Kiszla is too, the boycott probably ends for most Buffs fans.

I don't "want" this to be about CTE, and if you read my post closely, I specifically said that I wasn't sure if it was any of our business anyway. I was just providing a reason as to why someone might wonder about how someone might have committed the act. If that bothers you, fine.

The link to suicide, football players and CTE is strong and well established, and it seems silly to me to dismiss it out of hand.
You're right it isn't our business really. Could it have been CTE? Sure, I just have my doubts, that's all. Not disagreeing with you at the same time.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...-cte-his-brother-says/?utm_term=.c54079d1e3a5

We will never know the answer and it is better to focus on treating depression anyway. Look for signs, reach out, help those in need. Be empathetic instead of judging a depressed person that they can just "snap out of it" by changing their lifestyle.

Depression is very REAL and the consequences are life and death.
Very good point, depression is a sumbitch. Whatever it was with Rashaan, it's tragic.

Unfortunately this kind of speculation is nothing new when it comes to former CU players whose death was an apparent suicide. I had a passing acquaintance with Tennyson McCarty ... he was good friends with a couple of people in my law school study group, who were also devout Christians and members of the Christian Legal Society, CU Law chapter (I was kind of an honorary member ... they were trying to convert me from my apparent agnosticism). Tennyson came to one of our meetings and witnessed his faith to us ... he was definitely a sincere and dedicated young Christian man.

That's why it was such a shock to me when I heard of his death under some baffling circumstances, which were only made more confusing by how the sheriff's department handled the investigation (see the Colorado Daily story linked above). And there were some really outrageous and irresponsible speculations by people over the circumstances of his death and possible reasons for why he apparently killed himself (again ... see the comments to the article linked above).

All I know is that I was, and still am, very confused as to why such a devout man might resort to suicide. In the note he left, whose existence was at first denied by both the family and the sheriff, he talked of "pain" which he could no longer bear. Was it physical pain, or emotional? We don't know ... I do know that when he came to speak to our little group. he talked about his disappointment at not being able to try out for the NFL due to a crippling injury. But he stressed how his faith in God and Christ helped him out of his depression for that. Perhaps it turned out not to be enough ... but again, that's just speculation. In any case, a tragic end for a fine young man, as it was with Rashaan.

Depression is a tricky thing man. A dude I knew in middle school committed suicide. It was shocking to me because the guy had a smile on his face all the time. I guess you just never know for sure. Either way, very tragic with Rashaan. Prayers to him and his family going forward.

Did I miss where it was suggested he was suffering from CTE? I haven't read that, only people asking if it was CTE with no basis other than there have been other football players who suffered from CTE and committed suicide.

On that subject.

And I really, really hope that this is just bad writing/editing, and not a horrible attempt at making a sick joke:

Jabali Alaji, Salaam’s brother, told USA Today, that Salaam had "all the symptoms" associated with chronic football head trauma including memory loss, depression, anxiety, apathy and memory loss.

Back