What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Wow

This definitely puts Boyle and the program at a crossroads.

Is Tad going to spend some real time on the offense and come up with a better scheme....what kind of player development are they going to put in this summer (yes..I know how you feel about that slider)...if you are a defensive minded coach...how can you accept this kind of defensive performance and how can you improve on 3-point defense.

I also thought the one thing today showed was that we do not have a point guard on this roster besides Spencer...we might need Dom Collier to step up quicker than we hoped.

What tad has done the last 3-4 years is a miracle for cu hoops, they need to get better on offense but crossroads?

Good post

Last edited:
some good posts in this thread. But still, really disappointing to see the ugliest side of our team today. I'm gonna worry about this issue with this group of players until they prove it isn't an issue.

Are you serious? What Tad has done the last 3-4 years has been a miracle for CU hoops. Yes, he has got to change the offensive strategy but damn, a crossroads?

I am one of the biggest Tad Boyle fans on this site....what he has done is marvelous....maybe crossroads is the wrong term...more like a fork....we either continue on the same road...22, 23 wins but no deep runs....or we take it to the next level. Does today give you hope that next year will be any better....this was a bad loss at a bad time for the program.

I am one of the biggest Tad Boyle fans on this site....what he has done is marvelous....maybe crossroads is the wrong term...more like a fork....we either continue on the same road...22, 23 wins but no deep runs....or we take it to the next level. Does today give you hope that next year will be any better....this was a bad loss at a bad time for the program.
uhh.
The only contributing player we will lose in the next TWO years from the team that played today is Askia Booker. What we need is for this large soph/frosh group to develop.

Not to mention, having an infusion of guard talent in DOM could be a game changer.

so do you guys see a difference the 2nd half versus Arizona and today? because both of those efforts looked pretty similar to me.

There was a level of give up in that game that concerns me....and some of it was by key guys

Fair enough - I've kentucky give up like this in multiple cases the past 2 years. It is a part of college basketball. Seems like cratering in a blowout is becoming more and more common in basketball.

We sure as **** picked a bad time to do it though.

So we scored 49 last year in the loss to Illinois and 48 today. At some point something is going to have to change and we need to have an offense.

Do recruits like this style, where they sell out (sorta on the defensive end) and get to free flow on offense?

so do you guys see a difference the 2nd half versus Arizona and today? because both of those efforts looked pretty similar to me.

Yes against Arizona we cratered late when the fact we couldnt throw it in the ocean made a strong early defensive effort and the fact we'd taken more shots immaterial. From there sheer talent level overwhelmed us and they started shooting.

Today we missed the bus, and then had no answers.

So we scored 49 last year in the loss to Illinois and 48 today. At some point something is going to have to change and we need to have an offense.

Do recruits like this style, where they sell out (sorta on the defensive end) and get to free flow on offense?

I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but I really think our offense will be better next year. First off, with a large chunk of the team returning, he won't have to work as hard on defense in pre-season (especially considering Dom is a damn good defender, and Miller is solid). That will allow him to spend more time working on offense. Combine that with the fact that (knock on wood) we won't lose our floor leader halfway through the season and have to re-tool on the fly, and it should be better.

Well we've gone from recruiting no one to consistently recruiting top-150 guys and are looking at having 3 top 100 recruits on the team next year, so it doesnt seem to be an issue.

I know I sound like a broken record on this one, but I really think our offense will be better next year. First off, with a large chunk of the team returning, he won't have to work as hard on defense in pre-season (especially considering Dom is a damn good defender, and Miller is solid). That will allow him to spend more time working on offense. Combine that with the fact that (knock on wood) we won't lose our floor leader halfway through the season and have to re-tool on the fly, and it should be better.

Please be right. I may have to gouge my eyes out if this continues. I'm really excited about what Dom can do for this offense, but god we need so much work.

Well we've gone from recruiting no one to consistently recruiting top-150 guys and are looking at having 3 top 100 recruits on the team next year, so it seems to work.

good point but do players come here to play for a winner or for a specific style.

now you ****ing learn. :asshole:

Also, how crazy is it that Tad coached a top 10 offensive team (iirc) in his first year here? Still shocked at that.

so what is the next step for Scott (besides getting bigger and stronger). How do we open up our offense when teams double him up?

"Crossroads" was the wrong word choice. If nothing changes, it's still pretty damn good. And I don't think anyone here is worried about a decline in the program's success next season. But it is certainly fair to say that an efficient offense is the next step in the evolution of this basketball program.

so what is the next step for Scott (besides getting bigger and stronger). How do we open up our offense when teams double him up?

Get the ball in transition more, get a better facilitator (Dom), work on option for Scott getting the ball out of his hands quicker, find another scorer. The games where Scott has really struggle have been the ones where no one else did anything - Ski is no assassin but when he's efficient those Scott double teams were a lot less effective.

I think you'll see XJ progress as well next year, when the dust settles I'll look (or make JG) at ski frosh/soph vs XJ F/S campaigns.

Big game consistency....the offense has got to have built in options off the double team that allows him to be a better passer and distributor....making quicker decisions in your post game to beat the double team before it gets there

Honestly...our problems in my opinion are more perimeter oriented....XJ especially

Learn to pass and make SOME outside shots
we need to start having better rotations once we pass it in to Scott. We never move and give him an open shooter. We never have the guy who is doubling Scott do anything but sit on the weak side and hope for a pass from Scott.

are you expecting him to face the basket and make the pass, but there is usually nobody on his side of the court when he is doubled.

I think Cville is talking about the rest of the team we certainly dont need Scott making outside shots.

I think Cville is talking about the rest of the team we certainly dont need Scott making outside shots.

no I understand that, but Scott always has his back to the basket, so the only way we give him somewhere to pass the ball is if he faces the basket or give him an outlet. Neither which is happening now.

we need to start having better rotations once we pass it in to Scott. We never move and give him an open shooter. We never have the guy who is doubling Scott do anything but sit on the weak side and hope for a pass from Scott.

Yep, our movement is horrific. Could have put 4 turtles in there and had better movement.

Honestly...our problems in my opinion are more perimeter oriented....XJ especially

I think this will go down as a wasted season for XJ, he spent half of it moving into his shot and shooting like **** and then when he found his stroke he stopped trying to take it to the rack. Whether that was because he was having to guard guys like Wilcox late in the year or any of the other BS we heard i dont know; but this wasnt the campaign from him many of us expected.

Yep, our movement is horrific. Could have put 4 turtles in there and had better movement.

the shocker is that improved when Spence went down.

I agree though we need some movement both player and ball to come from this team.

I was more shocked at how easily Pitt was defending pick plays on the outside. It usually doesn't do a lot for the offense, but it's always part of the basic motion, and Pitt was like, yeah, we're not even going to let you do that.

Back