What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WR depth chart starting to look real

buffaholic

Club Member
Club Member
Spruce, McCullough and Goodson with experience. That won't scare anyone and it positions us last in the conference in returning proven talent - by a large margin in fact.

Ross with minor experience.

Bobo and Dunston with a Redshirt year behind them and this spring to show what they've learned.

Walker, Lee and Fields will provide an instantaneous big jump in the competitive level right away. Ross, Bobo and Dunston will have a year on them, and will be joined by Walker this spring.

Competition will now be great, albeit it very young and inexperienced.

So much different than when Josh Smith or later when PRich joined the program as our only options with speed. Even Gerald Thomas was thrust in there in 2012 and Ross in 2013 primarily due to "no other options".

WR is a position where a young player can make an impact. The learning curve seems to be less. One of the reasons we also see WR as the position where JUCOs seem to have the most success.

Certainly not quite the dumpster fire it looked like when Prich declared. That said, we need 3 or 4 unproven guys to step up big time.

I am excited to see the competition that is developing opposite of them as well. I can't wait to see how this RS year has paid off for Yuri.

Fields is the kind of complimentary player we need to Spruce. He provides the explosiveness to force defenses to open up giving a guy like Spruce a place to work. Spruce provides the effective mid-range threat that prevents defenses from overloading against Fields explosiveness.

If we end up with Ballage and have a running game that demands respect then we are well on our way towards having a competent offense in the PAC.

This is a program that was lead by Evan Judge, Dusty Sprague, Riar Geer, Scotty McKnight for 4 years, Speedy and Nelson Spruce frosh year before PRich's 2013. This is the most ability CU has had at the WR position that we have had in ages.

Fields is the kind of complimentary player we need to Spruce. He provides the explosiveness to force defenses to open up giving a guy like Spruce a place to work. Spruce provides the effective mid-range threat that prevents defenses from overloading against Fields explosiveness.

If we end up with Ballage and have a running game that demands respect then we are well on our way towards having a competent offense in the PAC.

Ballage would no doubt be an instant impact player, but I am ok with our RB's right now. I think we have enough talent back there to be competent in the PAC. I think Adkins and Abron becomes our primary 1-2 punch at running back. Thrown in the sheer brute force of Powell, and (assuming 100% healthy) the speed of Phillip Lindsay and I think we have some threats back there. Ballage would be a game changer though.

Crowder could possibly be a factor here as well. If he gets reinstated.

Last edited:
I hope our goal is more than just "competency"

Ballage would no doubt be an instant impact player, but I am ok with our RB's right now. I think we have enough talent back there to be competent in the PAC. I think Adkins and Abron becomes our primary 1-2 punch at running back. Thrown in the sheer brute force of Powell, and (assuming 100% healthy) the speed of Phillip Lindsay and I think we have some threats back there. Ballage would be a game changer though.

I will take competent over where we have been since Speedy left. Our goal should always be top 4 in the conference. With Ballage, we would potentially be there. My point was that we have some talent back there.

Adkins is probably the only RB who would get legit PT at other Pac-12 schools imo. Powell is pretty meh
I will take competent over where we have been since Speedy left. Our goal should always be top 4 in the conference. With Ballage, we would potentially be there. My point was that we have some talent back there.

Adkins is probably the only RB who would get legit PT at other Pac-12 schools imo. Powell is pretty meh

I am pretty sure Powell was injured for 85% of last year with that hip injury he got during camp. That being said, he has not been used in a role that would give him long term success since he has arrived. He should not be the #1 guy, but he is a guy for short yardage/goal line, and for killing blows in the 4th quarter.

When you put it like this....

Please let us get Ballage. We need him in the worst way possible.

Powell has already taken a pretty good beating running behind some mediocre lines. I´d sure like to see Ballage on board, getting some playing time. I think he could be a real threat in the backfield. Great combination of size and speed.

ballage is a back that could potentially be a guy the defense has to worry about. we haven't had that for awhile. i do feel a little better about our wrs coming in. we still have a long way to go.

on the other side of the ball, need to pickup some dl (i know, that's always super-hard) and i'd love to see a really nasty LB/DE with some speed. dbs, too.

i do feel a little better about our wrs coming in. we still have a long way to go.

Yep. Hopefully this class and last year's WR's can start to build a nice baseline of talent at the position that they can build on. It's been 1 step forward 1-2 steps back at the position for the past 10 years.

It will be ugly at times, but the true freshmen will win out in the end.

I agree with this. More talent in that group. The good news is I think they will be pushed which makes everyone win in the end. There was only so much pushing that McCullough could do.

Phil Lindsay should also add a dimension of athleticism here. Will have to see how things work out.

Last edited:

I hope so also but when we have been unquestionably the worst offense in the league competent is a major step up.

If we had a competent offense Oregon State and Utah might have been in play for us last year.

I do think that our big jump in offense could come starting 2 years from now as we start seeing more OL talent coming on line. Eventually we have to be able to move and score the ball but for now just being good enough to look like a college offense would be a major improvement.

O-Line needs to really improve or Sefo will be crushed. I'd like to see more quick throws and some good WR blocking with the new guys but they are really green.

Back