What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WTF? Is Bzdelik leaving or not?

Your memory is short. Here is a quote I dug up from an old thread three years ago. Perhaps it will refresh your memory...

Good one. :lol:

If Bzdelik does leave CU now, I say we don't just hang our hat on McLain as the next HC. That may be the easiest transition as far as keeping the system in place (if that's important), but I don't think he has any shot of recruiting at the levels it will take to compete with the other coaches in the Big 12 moving forward. I think Bohn should go straight for Gillespie and offer him Bz' salary plus incentives. He's available, has had success in the Big 12, can coach, and can recruit the heck out of Texas. It will be hard to get the top guys out of Texas, but he can definitely get tier 2 and 3 guys with very good talent to come to Boulder. Especially if CU is upgrading its facilities. Gillespie would be my vote.

That said, I hope Bzdelik stays. I think he's good for CU and is on the verge of building a winner here. I really think he can do it. Hope he stays. F**k the NBA.

If Bzdelik does leave CU now, I say we don't just hang our hat on McLain as the next HC. That may be the easiest transition as far as keeping the system in place (if that's important), but I don't think he has any shot of recruiting at the levels it will take to compete with the other coaches in the Big 12 moving forward. I think Bohn should go straight for Gillespie and offer him Bz' salary plus incentives. He's available, has had success in the Big 12, can coach, and can recruit the heck out of Texas. It will be hard to get the top guys out of Texas, but he can definitely get tier 2 and 3 guys with very good talent to come to Boulder. Especially if CU is upgrading its facilities. Gillespie would be my vote.

That said, I hope Bzdelik stays. I think he's good for CU and is on the verge of building a winner here. I really think he can do it. Hope he stays. F**k the NBA.

I think Gillespie still has appeal to do much better than this job. Still, I'd bite on that contingency plan if Bohn could pull it off.

If we lose Bzdelik, I just hope we don't bring in some big name mercenary as a head coach. He'd just leave after a couple years, anyway. We need someone who is eager to build a CU basketball tradition. To use a football comparison, someone like Greg Schiano at Rutgers. I'm still hopeful that Bzdelik is that guy and confident that if he's not that the program is in much better shape than it was when Bz took the job.

If we lose Bzdelik, I just hope we don't bring in some big name mercenary as a head coach. He'd just leave after a couple years, anyway. We need someone who is eager to build a CU basketball tradition. To use a football comparison, someone like Greg Schiano at Rutgers. I'm still hopeful that Bzdelik is that guy and confident that if he's not that the program is in much better shape than it was when Bz took the job.

Yeah and we all want the women we end up with to be hot, intelligent, and kinky, but some times you have to understand your lot in life.

This.

If he knew he likely would not be here, that could be an explanation for why he has not filled Baker's slot.

Baker left late in the cycle, when most assitants were already in place and hoops doesn't start until October, though it would be nice to have another body on the recruiting trail. I think McClain is more responsible for the recruiting success to date anyway. It was't like Baker was racking up great inner-city AAU talent.

Our better guys all seem to be "sleeper/under the radar" types, like Higgins: good kids, decent grades, good game---just not knock yer sox off talent---but most importantly "coachable". (with no damned, obnoxious torso-eating tats!) Guys who can improve their skills and become very good college players after a couple of years.

I seemed to remember some pretty good Clem Haskins teams back in the 90s, but my memory must be terrible as it appears those great Gopher teams I imagined actually had a number of winless seasons. The hell???????

I seemed to remember some pretty good Clem Haskins teams back in the 90s, but my memory must be terrible as it appears those great Gopher teams I imagined actually had a number of winless seasons. The hell???????

i'm about 90% sure Clem had a Final Four team in the late 90's.

There is some non-news to update:
Colorado coach Jeff Bzdelik still hasn't heard from Minnesota about being the top assistant for the Timberwolves' next coach. If he does get the call, according to multiple sources, then he's likely gone and assistant Steve McClain would be the top choice to replace him.

Meanwhile, Connecticut officials say there is no update on incoming freshman Ater Majok's eligibility. Majok is part of a wider investigation into the Huskies' relationship with former agent/manager Josh Nochimson. Nochimson was also involved with one-time UConn player/student Nate Miles.
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/blog/index?entryID=4378524&name=katz_andy

Pretty sure there were some major issues with academic fraud on those teams. Bobby Jackson fit in really well.

BTW, if Bz actually leaves... yikes. Might as well get used to the cellar for the next five years.

Last edited:
Pretty sure there were some major issues with academic fraud on those teams. Bobby Jackson fit in really well.

BTW, if Bz actually leaves... yikes. Might as well get used to the cellar for the next five years.

Especially since the marketing of the CU program is completely centered on Bzdelik being the coach. Everything is always "Bzdelik's this and Bzdelik's that". He's really our strongest selling message, too. Two NCAA tourneys in the past 15 years plus Chauncey is rather thin for a BCS conference program.

I would be extremely upset at Bz for leaving if he does. Finish the ****ing job that you started, especially when you really tore down what little there was when you got there in order to get YOUR guys in. This is absolute bull**** if he leaves. It's absolute pussy-ass, cowardice on his part on not being able to see this thing through. He owes the players and the university a lot more than that. He owes himself more than that in my opinion too, but that part is up to him. He's leaving a program in horrible condition - we have NO true bigs, a few talented players, but not enough...This article is really pssting me off. I trust that this is heresy, and Bz will do what's right. If he doesn't - **** him and I hope he's horrible for the rest of career.

CU will not be in the cellar forever though. College bball is so much about coaching, and I think we'll eventually get our guy - our version of Gillespie, Barnes, etc. I thought Bz was going to be it. I always knew he would leave for the NBA again, but that will always be there for him. To leave now is such ****.

dyemeduke,

Easy now. How 'bout a nice sip of water and a couple of these little yellow pills? Feeling better? Good. :smile: Now, just step a way from the ledge. Atta boy. Deep breath... and release. All good? Good.

Bzdelik doesn't look like he's going anywhere. The story is now getting to be old news and since it broke CU has used his name front and center in marketing of the team's appearance in the Maui Invitational. Seems like Bohn has every confidence Coach Bz will be back this year. If he leaves, I'll get pissed in a big way, but that bridge doesn't exist yet and I'm not gonna cross it. We knew when he was hired that he'd draw interest from NBA corners during every offseason and that's a big part of his appeal, so you can't get too upset when it actually happens.

On a side note, it's really weird to me how NBA executives think. It seems like Minnesota is thinking that they need to make a PR splash by hiring an ex player who people have been seeing on tv... but then hire a qualified guy like Bzdelik to actually coach the head coach, draw up the plays and set the strategies. Bizarre.

if he leaves to become an assistant....jeez. the guy blew up the program (not that it was in great shape) on the premise it was time to "do things" the right way from the bottom up and back to square one. gutted the existing roster and would now leave very much a "work in progress" that both hasn't yet shown it works or has any real progress outside moral victories. i'm cautiously optimistic about this season, but hey...?

like i said in a previous post, with the "blow it up and start over again" approach he took he kind of holds us hostage as a program. i'm not sure i can handle 2 more years of "wait until _new guy_ gets his players/system in place 3 years from now". either that or it's McClain (phase II of the hostage situation) and at least this season of waffling "interim" or "get the job" speculation.

bring back Mike Frink!

I just don't know how much stock to put in the Andy Katz thing. I've heard people who know Coach Bz say that he's not going anywhere. I guess we'll see.

Yeah..... I was being facetious with my outrage. Haskins and co. got completely jacked by the NCAA and Booby Jackson went on to an illustrious career of ruining NBA franchises. Brewster and Tubby were massive hires for that AD.

The positive I see, should McClain take the reins is the consistency with an assistant who has history with all of the players. Should keep the program moving ahead without the attrition of Bz's first year at the helm. In terms of Xs and Os... who knows. Likely a downgrade. Mike Dunlap surely is the best coach CU can get at the price he would command. Thoughts?

Mike Dunlap would probably be a great hire if it came to it. I doubt that many people would complain if he became the next Buffs coach.

Hear, hear! :thumbsup:

the day Ricardo fired Frink we were likely a bracketologist's tournament team....as it was, we tanked a little to close out the season and lost to ATM on Friday of the conference tournament which was a "play-in" game for two teams on the bubble (those Aggies were one basket away from the Elite Eight, but lost to eventual runner-up LSU and Big Baby). but, during the Frink tenure, it was pretty cool to see the Buffs run an offense that didn't leave you scratching your head as you walked out of the CEC (like the other 9.5 years of Rico).

and since that ATM game, it's been all downhill for us and the Aggies have been in the NCAA every year i think.

Back