What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

WTF is happening in Texas?

A ****ing storm is coming

cloud-with-lightning.png

One clear advantage CU might have for getting Texas kids, is the proximity of Dallas to Denver compared to LA or San Francisco or Seattle. Flights back home from here are both quick and cheap (plenty under $200) with lots of airlines having multiple daily flights, and it also makes it easier for families to travel to Boulder to see games. If a Texas kid wants to stay in Texas, he will. But if he wants to play in the Pac but still be "close" to home, coming to CU is a great option.

It wasn't bad for me 10 years ago flights from DFW if bought in advance averaged $225.00 RT and we got a parents rate at the Marriott Courtyard in Louisville for $50.00/night. Made it easy to make the games, I guess if you are going to an SEC school all that gets picked up by boosters no?

This is the quote I'm addressing. While I concur that we have an advantage in Texas as compared to the other Pac12 schools, that seems like a worthless point. We have to compete against a bunch of schools in Texas to get kids in Texas so how is that more exploitable than getting kids from California? Not following your logic.
Texas vacations:
1. Can't afford vacation, dream of going to Colorado for vacation.
2. Can't afford to leave the state, dream of going to Colorado.
3. Go to Colorado, because that's what they can afford.
4. Go to Colorado, because that's what they choose.
5. Go to California or Florida because they have no taste.

Somewhere in the above list you'll find our advantage over both other Pac-12 schools and Texas schools.

Also add to it the not insignificant percentage of kids that want to leave the state, but don't want to go too far. To be a couple tanks of gas and some time on the road away from home is one thing, to be a plane ticket away is a whole different story...

Yes, but you can do it in about 14 hours, which is nothing if you're 18.
In recruiting, it's all about Mom and Grandma. If they can't buy the plane ticket, there's nothing they can do to get to a game from there. SoCal parents caravan to watch their kids in Tempe. Lots of ways to bum a ride for the 4 hour trip. Not so many folks driving up from DFW to Boulder. .

In recruiting, it's all about Mom and Grandma. If they can't buy the plane ticket, there's nothing they can do to get to a game from there. SoCal parents caravan to watch their kids in Tempe. Lots of ways to bum a ride for the 4 hour trip. Not so many folks driving up from DFW to Boulder. .
Not so many?

Have you ever once in your life been to Breckenridge* during ski season?

*or Keystone, or Winter Park, or Copper Mountain, or Vail, or Ski Cooper, or Monarch Mountain, etc, etc

No doubt, and it is definitely worth repeating.

And it is actually not that out of the ordinary for the other schools. ASU has tried to have a bigger presence in Texas since Graham has ties there from his days at Rice, but it really has not panned out.

But for CU, recruiting Texas is absolutely vital for being a successful program, no way around it. I do not think it is merely a coincidence that our decline began when Gary Barnett stopped recruiting and basically ignored Texas.
FIFY! FACT!

Texans LOVE Colorado.

I fly round trip from DFW to Denver all the time for around $100 or sometimes less.

However, Texans want to WIN more than anything.

If we keep this winning up, we can win recruiting battles over all the schools here.

Texans LOVE Colorado.

I fly round trip from DFW to Denver all the time for around $100 or sometimes less.

However, Texans want to WIN more than anything.

If we keep this winning up, we can win recruiting battles over all the schools here.

DFW-Denver is one of the cheapest flights year round. I was trying to find flights to Seattle and it was $3-500! Yet Dallas was like $89. Made me angry haha.

Families don't drive 24+ hours each weekend to watch JR play. If they can afford to fly (or ski), no issue. Many can't.
OK, I'll amend it: have you ever once in your life been to Folsom Field when UT is playing?

It's not a difficult trip from DFW. It is in fact an easier trip than to some locations in the Big 12. It's an easier (or at worst, equal) trip than to any other P12 school. It's an easier trip than it is for most of the SEC, and it's an easier trip than to any school in the Big 10 or ACC.

I really don't get why you think CU is at such a disadvantage when recruiting Texas.

OK, I'll amend it: have you ever once in your life been to Folsom Field when UT is playing?

It's not a difficult trip from DFW. It is in fact an easier trip than to some locations in the Big 12. It's an easier (or at worst, equal) trip than to any other P12 school. It's an easier trip than it is for most of the SEC, and it's an easier trip than to any school in the Big 10 or ACC.

I really don't get why you think CU is at such a disadvantage when recruiting Texas.

DFW Metroplex to Boulder is 12 HRs of driving. Not too bad.

LMAO at some of the lack of insight from some on here. A bunch of Texans drive to Breckenridge to go skiing! I know fat Texans who drive to the Mountains and hire a guide to get them an Elk or a big Rainbow!

Many recruits families will not see a game unless they are driven to the game. Their financial situation is a bit different than most on here. That's a big advantage for schools within driving distance. You can be sure when a DFW kid goes to aTm, Baylor or even LSU, that there's a road trip caravan formed. Parents who can't afford to travel just get picked up by other parents who can. This is true for SoCal families as well for the non-Mtn schools in the South.

If you can't do a quick drive turnaround and a trip involves airplanes and hotels, that's an issue with many.

I'm not talking about their middle class upwardly mobile fans. I'm talking about the average single Mom in the 'hood raising her kids with 2 jobs.

LMAO at some of the lack of insight from some on here. A bunch of Texans drive to Breckenridge to go skiing! I know fat Texans who drive to the Mountains and hire a guide to get them an Elk or a big Rainbow!

Many recruits families will not see a game unless they are driven to the game. Their financial situation is a bit different than most on here. That's a big advantage for schools within driving distance. You can be sure when a DFW kid goes to aTm, Baylor or even LSU, that there's a road trip caravan formed. Parents who can't afford to travel just get picked up by other parents who can. This is true for SoCal families as well for the non-Mtn schools in the South.

If you can't do a quick drive turnaround and a trip involves airplanes and hotels, that's an issue with many.
The original argument I made had nothing to do with parents/family getting to go to games - it had to do with the kids themselves being able to road trip home for a long weekend (or their friends making a road trip up to visit them for a weekend) - which you've never actually addressed other than saying "14 hours is a long drive."

And despite the (perfectly valid) arguments you are making about family coming for a game, we are still in a better/cheaper situation for Texas kids than the 90+% of P5 schools that aren't located in states adjacent to Texas.

I still don't get why you think we're at such a disadvantage in recruiting Texas when compared to, say UCLA, Tennessee or even Iowa State or West Virginia (to pick two schools that actually share a conference with UT). Sure OU has a huge advantage in terms of geographic proximity - but you can't pretend that we don't have a proximity advantage when compared to Oregon - there is a whole magnitude of difference betwern long road trips between Eugene and DFW versus Boulder and DFW.

The original argument I made had nothing to do with parents/family getting to go to games - it had to do with the kids themselves being able to road trip home for a long weekend (or their friends making a road trip up to visit them for a weekend) - which you've never actually addressed other than saying "14 hours is a long drive."

And despite the (perfectly valid) arguments you are making about family coming for a game, we are still in a better/cheaper situation for Texas kids than the 90+% of P5 schools that aren't located in states adjacent to Texas.

I still don't get why you think we're at such a disadvantage in recruiting Texas when compared to, say UCLA, Tennessee or even Iowa State or West Virginia (to pick two schools that actually share a conference with UT). Sure OU has a huge advantage in terms of geographic proximity - but you can't pretend that we don't have a proximity advantage when compared to Oregon - there is a whole magnitude of difference betwern long road trips between Eugene and DFW versus Boulder and DFW.

Please point out where you made this original argument per your bold above.

This whole discussion is not about kids visiting "friends". This is about recruiting players. I clearly stated that in recruiting, Mamas and Grandmas are important. A 14 hour drive is a disability in recruiting them, if they do not have the financial means to do plane trips, which is common.

That is NOT a liability for CU as compared to UCLA or Iowa State. It IS a liability for CU as compared to any other school that is within close enough distance to do the car trip for 6 home games per year (and perhaps a few other games).

CU is generally at a disadvantage as our recruiting geography within said "driving trips" is small as compared to ALL of the PAC12 South schools minus Utah. If a kid lives in the Inland Empire in SoCal and considering ASU, his family can get to 8 games via one day car trips out of their 12 games That compares to 2 games if their kid is at Colorado (Tucson and USC this year).

Same argument for any school recruiting a DFW Metroplex kid within a 1-day car trip turnaround from home. That includes OU, OSU, Arkansas, Houston, Memphis, UT-Austin, TCU, aTm, TTU, Baylor. DFW Moms can get to those games and back without spending a penny or owning a car!

All PAC12 teams are at a geographical disadvantage recruiting Texas because it takes a plane ride AND we are not on TV as much. Yet it's possible..... (as we've seen).

Please point out where you made this original argument per your bold above.
Interestingly, it's in my very first post in this thread. You know, the post you quoted?

Also add to it the not insignificant percentage of kids that want to leave the state, but don't want to go too far. To be a couple tanks of gas and some time on the road away from home is one thing, to be a plane ticket away is a whole different story...

830 miles is a long car trip....

Yes, but you can do it in about 14 hours, which is nothing if you're 18.

If someone actually read and comprehended the first post they would have to be ridiculously obtuse to think I was talking about family making the trip, not the kids.

And even if they didn't read or fully comprehend the first post and were questioning about whom my comment was referring; my next comment about them being 18 years old really should have made it painfully obvious.

I'm willing to accept poor reading skills due to alcohol, tiredness, stress, etc as a perfectly valid excuse - but the choices are either poor reading comprehension (due to whatever external factors) or being obtuse.

Is it safe to say at this point, CU has a DeSoto pipeline set up?
If Laviska somehow never plays a down for CU, he will still be a great recruit. From everything I've read, he (along with Chev) has really been the catalyst in this DeSoto thing.

@skibum - The reading comprehension problem falls on you my friend.
This thread is about the challenges of recruiting DFW for Colorado. You've made your point over and over that kids may want to get out of Texas and Colorado may be attractive. Nobody's disputed that point the 2-3 times you've made it. It's a long one day car ride, we get it. It's longer to the coast. Yes, it is.

One more time:
Mom is the key person in the recruiting picture. Mom has no travel budget whatsoever.
To her, there's no difference in distance between Boulder and Cal. It may as well be the moon.
This is the challenge to recruiting Texas for the foreseeable future (we are just geographically challenged in general).

Mac1 overcame this by recruiting the Mama, with some religion mixed in. Then he sold the importance of JR getting away from the 'hood. It's not a positive to be so close that the old chums can come to campus and hang out.

@skibum - The reading comprehension problem falls on you my friend.
This thread is about the challenges of recruiting DFW for Colorado. You've made your point over and over that kids may want to get out of Texas and Colorado may be attractive. Nobody's disputed that point the 2-3 times you've made it. It's a long one day car ride, we get it. It's longer to the coast. Yes, it is.

One more time:
Mom is the key person in the recruiting picture. Mom has no travel budget whatsoever.
To her, there's no difference in distance between Boulder and Cal. It may as well be the moon.
This is the challenge to recruiting Texas for the foreseeable future (we are just geographically challenged in general).

Mac1 overcame this by recruiting the Mama, with some religion mixed in. Then he sold the importance of JR getting away from the 'hood. It's not a positive to be so close that the old chums can come to campus and hang out.
The biggest problem I am having with what you are saying is that you are saying it in 100% absolutes. While what you state may be the case in a majority of situations, not every single family and recruit thinks that way.

The closest school I applied to coming out of HS was 6 hours away by car and the only ones I seriously considered were 16+ hours away by car.

Part of CU recruiting Texas, California, and the Southeast is to find the ones that are genuinely open to leaving the immediate area. There are plenty of them out there.

The biggest problem I am having with what you are saying is that you are saying it in 100% absolutes. While what you state may be the case in a majority of situations, not every single family and recruit thinks that way.

The closest school I applied to coming out of HS was 6 hours away by car and the only ones I seriously considered were 16+ hours away by car.

Part of CU recruiting Texas, California, and the Southeast is to find the ones that are genuinely open to leaving the immediate area. There are plenty of them out there.
Yep put in the work in every aspect.

DeSoto isn't even close to being the 'hood. The same goes for a lot of the other schools we're hitting hard. My brother lives in Glenn Heights a mile southeast of DeSoto High School. I've been there. It's a nice, middle class suburban area. Some kids in that area may come from lower middle class households, but many can afford to come out here for camps and unofficial visits which means the parents can also afford to come out here for a few games a year. I think there may be a little stereotyping going on in some of the thinking here.

DeSoto isn't even close to being the 'hood. The same goes for a lot of the other schools we're hitting hard. My brother lives in Glenn Heights a mile south of DeSoto. I've been there. It's a nice, middle class suburban area. Some kids in that area may come from lower middle class households, but many can afford to come out here for camps and unofficial visits which means the parents can also afford to come out here for a few games a year. I think there may be a little stereotyping going on in some of the thinking here.
Nah man, all of Texas is the hood and everyone there has no money.

Back